Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm looking to get a new snowboard for the upcoming season, so far I've been looking at a Never Summer Evo, Burton Process, Skate Banana or a Nitro Board. I usually do a lot of slopestyle, maybe I will get into a little pipe later. I want a good board that's flexible, can handle jumps and rails, and powder.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Burton Process is a good board, I used to have one. I'd go with the Skate Banana...it's a freestyle, go anywhere board.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks maybe I will check a skate banana. I was mostly interested in a Never Summer or the Burton Process. My old board was a Burton Blunt, so I have liked Burton boards since then

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
If you go Nitro get the Rook. Or T1 if you go big or go home. The Rook is more playful but still can hit big stuff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm right now kinda focused on getting a Burton Process or a Never Summer Evo, which one is better and why?

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Burton Process is a decent board. Great as a beginner board and one that allows you to progress through. A lot of Team riders have a process and you can't go wrong...I liked my process. I had restricted Vita bindings with mine. I sold it to a family member because I wanted a more park style board and if I thought I was junk, I would have sold it to somebody else. It's a good choice. Can't say anything about the NS, not familiar.

·
Registered
658 Posts
The Process is one of the best Burton boards out there for the money, IMO.

Skate Banana is a POS, never really understood why it gets so much hype. I can't really comment on the Never Summer decks, as I'm not too familiar with them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, the thing with the burton process is that i have to then get the special bindings. I have burton freestyle bindings will those work on the process? Or do I need the special kind of bindings? I also want to upgrade to the malavita later.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Thanks, the thing with the burton process is that i have to then get the special bindings. I have burton freestyle bindings will those work on the process? Or do I need the special kind of bindings? I also want to upgrade to the malavita later.
Nothing wrong with the freestyle bindings, you just won't get the flex that you would with the Vitas. I had the Restricted EST Vitas, which had the wing on the outside of the binding. Perfect for park...wish I would have kept those bindings. Since the process has the channel, most buy the EST bindings. Just more flex really, and easy on setting them up on the board. Really it's preference. You can use any bindings on a channel board, just have to buy the 4x4 retro fit kit. But if you have the extra cash, I'd go EST and Malavita at that. Get the most out of the Process and don't sell yourself short by not getting good bindings. I think the Malavitas are one of Burton's best bindings, right behind the tried and true Cartels. The C60's, probably Burton's best ever binding...but they don't make them anymore and good luck finding a used or new pair on the web. That's because no one is willing to sell them.

·
Registered
658 Posts
What year are your freestyles? Burton has made all their bindings compatible, you will just need the corresponding EST disc and use that instead of the 3D or 4x2 disc you are using now. You can get them at a shop, or just email/call Burton's customer department and they will ship it to you for free.

Nothing wrong with Freestyles. If you're happy with them at the moment and don't see a need to upgrade, keep them, no reason to spend more money on Malavitas when all you're paying for is the technology in the binding..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, Okay so then maybe I will get the Process. What is the difference between the regular process and the Flying V? Also so if I have the freestyle, what do I need for the channel? (while I'm saving for the malavita) Do you know where I can find some malavita for cheap?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thanks, Okay so then maybe I will get the Process. What is the difference between the regular process and the Flying V? Also so if I have the freestyle, what do I need for the channel? (while I'm saving for the malavita) Do you know where I can find some malavita for cheap?
The differences between the cambered Process and the Flying V model is the camber profile, otherwise they're the same board. The camber Process is, obviously, cambered whereas the Flying V is a hybrid rocker, which combines both camber and rocker into the same board. You can find tons of information about the different camber profiles on this site, and on the internet.

Like I said, depending on the year of your Freestyles, all you will need is just the corresponding disc to mount the bindings onto the ICS channel. Most shops have them, and if they're sold out, call Burton and they will send you some. If your Freestyles are super old though, you may be out of luck.

You can find good deals on last season's gear now, since shops are trying to clear out their inventory. Check your local shops to see if they have any, and if not, check some of the bigger online retailers. They should be roughly 30-40% off right now, depending on where you buy them.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thanks, so which one would you guys recommend? The Process or the Process Flying V?
It really comes down to what you want as a rider. Me, personally, I'd get the cambered version because I'm not a rocker fan. However, I have two friends that absolutely love their Process Flying Vs. There really isn't a right answer for it.

What's your skill level? Basing my recommendation off kinda what I feel your riding level is, I'd push you a bit more towards the hybrid rocker, since it's a bit easier to control due to the lifted contact edges and it'll float better in powder. I'm assuming this is going to be your only board, so I'd ideally put you on something that will hit all the bases (groomers, powder, park, whatever), instead of putting you on a cambered board that MIGHT make it harder for you in certain riding situations.

With that said, don't get too caught up in it. It's extremely easy to get overwhelmed, especially with all the different rocker profiles out there. When you break it down, it's a piece of wood sliding on frozen water. I'm sure whatever board you choose, whether that's a Process or another board, will be fun for you. I doubt you'd be bummed on a board, especially if you're not familiar with the different characteristics of varying profiles. Find a board you like, buy it, and go have fun. Don't get all caught up in the marketing bullshit that a lot of people seem to.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thanks so will the flying V be able to handle park? Im Leaning towards getting that one.
The better question is can YOU handle the park? Yes, the board can go into the park. It's not like a snowboard is some intelligent piece of equipment that automatically starts reacting differently once you ride different terrain. If you're a decent enough rider, you should be able to handle it anywhere, whether it's in the park or in the backcountry. The old adage of 90% rider, 10% board holds true.

TL;DR answer: Yes it can.

·
Registered
9,463 Posts
If you're looking to really step your jump game up and are contemplating pipe I wouldn't get the Flying V. Flying is notoriously loose. That extra bit of rocker outside the camber zone means you really have to lean it over to engage your contact points. You have to stay very centered on the deck or it'll wash out. The camber will give you more precision off the lip and better climbimg on pipe walls.

On bindings, your Freestyles will fit with a new disc, but if you're stepping up to 50ftrs don't expect them to last. Polycarb with no glass is not strong. And they have pretty sub par shock and dampening. If you got the cash I'd step up to Cartels. Either EST or ReFlex. I personally like ReFlex better.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts