Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Storm is coming through tomorrow and dumping around a foot in SoCal. May not sound like a lot to most, but that is huge for powder whores in SoCal. However I can't decide if I should go up Wednesday where 20-25mph winds with 40mph gusts are forecasted, or if I should wait until Thursday when it's mostly sunny, no wind forecasted, and the storm pretty much out of the area. What would you guys do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
If it has been dry for awhile, go while the getting is good. Its could be all tracked out by the time its nice and sunny. And nothing is funner than the free-for-all-mad-dash-for-snow that is the first few chairs after a nice dump. But if you have stashes that can keep your frown upside down all day, then wait til its bluebird.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So basically even though it's a weekday (small crowd), windy (even smaller crowd), and a foot of snow the powder on the main runs will likely all be tracked through come Thursday? (I don't have any stashes, just the main runs)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Yes. Even though Ive never ridden there, I can safely say that no one leaves wide open "main" runs untouched for a whole day. There is an adage about low hanging fruit that can probably be applied here. And powder whores dont care if its a weekday or windy(20-25 isnt really that windy anyway). The storm timing can factor in too though. If most of it dumps wednesday aftenoon or evening then Thursday would be better of course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah, my gut tells me to go but this is my first season really hitting the slopes hard and there are certainly many things I'm oblivious to in regards to the extremes of the mountains.. Thus I am trying to educate myself before heading up to avoid as many "Wow, this fucking sucks" days as possible. I have pretty good gear and as long as I'm not going to be like "It's f'ing freezing and this wind chill is making me lose my sanity" or "Wow I love powder but jesus trying to slash it while the wind is blowing me over every 5 seconds is moronic" then I think I'm likely going to go heed your advice and go Wednesday. Storm is 99.9% Tuesday through Weds til 5am. Seems like perfect timing for an righteous powder day, but as someone who doesn't know the first hand difference in rideability between 10mph and 40mph winds the "25mph winds with gusts as high as 40mph" has me concerned

EDIT: Forecast update - Wind chill values of -5 degrees.. Thoughts..??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
Storm is 99.9% Tuesday through Weds til 5am. Seems like perfect timing for an righteous powder day, but as someone who doesn't know the first hand difference in rideability between 10mph and 40mph winds the "25mph winds with gusts as high as 40mph" has me concerned

EDIT: Forecast update - Wind chill values of -5 degrees.. Thoughts..??
Bundle up. If you are prepared, the wide open runs and lack of crowds could make it an amazing day....go with low expectations and keep a positive attitude!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Thats kinda cold but if you pass up a powder day during a dry strech because its too cold, you might as wel burn your board for heat and move to florida because there is someone in kansas or indiana who would glady take your place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
Yeah, my gut tells me to go but this is my first season really hitting the slopes hard and there are certainly many things I'm oblivious to in regards to the extremes of the mountains.. Thus I am trying to educate myself before heading up to avoid as many "Wow, this fucking sucks" days as possible. I have pretty good gear and as long as I'm not going to be like "It's f'ing freezing and this wind chill is making me lose my sanity" or "Wow I love powder but jesus trying to slash it while the wind is blowing me over every 5 seconds is moronic" then I think I'm likely going to go heed your advice and go Wednesday. Storm is 99.9% Tuesday through Weds til 5am. Seems like perfect timing for an righteous powder day, but as someone who doesn't know the first hand difference in rideability between 10mph and 40mph winds the "25mph winds with gusts as high as 40mph" has me concerned

EDIT: Forecast update - Wind chill values of -5 degrees.. Thoughts..??
40 mph is nothing but a stiff breeze! layer up, wear a facemask, and go shred that pow
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,539 Posts
Bring warm clothes and keep your head warm (balaclava or neck gaiter make a HUGE difference when it's really cold). Keeping the head warm is key. Go Wednesday for sure. Thursday is a day late/dollar short.

Wind is just something you have to learn to deal with. Pay attention to local wind patterns to see where it's blowing hard and where you're sheltered. Once you get advanced enough to do it safely, riding in the trees can block a lot of wind. The worst thing about wind is how it affects chairlift operations. Back to being properly dressed - if the chair shuts down for any amount of time you'll want to be dressed for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,372 Posts
25mph wind isnt too bad. really depends on the direction its blowing. the trees help block the wind too. i would personally go on wednesday because by the next day its mostly going to be tracked out. I bet you can still find nice stashes in the trees though.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top