Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am in my 30’s, but 4’11 and 96 lbs with very small and narrow feet. I am an intermediate level snowboarder and prefer an all mountain board. I also prefer a true twin since I naturally ride both directions.

I have learned on equipment that was given to me but I have had a lot of trouble finding the right sizes etc. and would really appreciate some suggestions!

Current boots:
* Ride - Sparks - youth size 3. These are the only ones I have found to fit my very small, narrow foot. They fit perfectly, but I need something stiffer than this.
*I can post a picture later this evening since they are older, if needed.

Current board:
*2017 burton - Feels good smalls
Size 130
This is a great board, but my boots are still too small for this board and it makes it a bit more challenging to get edges. (See pics) Font Sports equipment Magenta Electric blue Pattern
Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Electronic device
Font Sports equipment Magenta Electric blue Pattern

·
Registered
28 Posts
According to Evo, the 2022 version of this board is wider at 238mm waist width. You could go up to a 135/139 but those are even wider than your 2017. Some underhang is desirable for carving and getting on edge or you'll "boot out". If you are having trouble linking turns, go smaller. 125ish.

Camber may be better than flying V since rocker can be washy if you're really cranking a turn. But if you're having trouble carving on one edge it may be your boots aren't centered or you need more time on the board. I wouldn't go longer in size at your weight unless you know what you want. A 125 might work if you're on smaller hills/runs. Are you able to link turns down the entire hill? What makes it hard "to get edges"?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi,
I am in my 30’s, but 4’11 and 96 lbs with very small and narrow feet. I am an intermediate level snowboarder and prefer an all mountain board. I also prefer a true twin since I naturally ride both directions.

I have learned on equipment that was given to me but I have had a lot of trouble finding the right sizes etc. and would really appreciate some suggestions!

Current boots:
* Ride - Sparks - youth size 3. These are the only ones I have found to fit my very small, narrow foot. They fit perfectly, but I need something stiffer than this.
*I can post a picture later this evening since they are older, if needed.

Current board:
*2017 burton - Feels good smalls
Size 130
This is a great board, but my boots are still too small for this board and it makes it a bit more challenging to get edges. (See pics) View attachment 158958 View attachment 158959 View attachment 158958
A lot of the forum members(including myself) have experience working in shops. That being said, your situation is still rare. If you can provide a picture of your board and bindings with the boots strapped that'd be helpful for anyone looking to provide advice.

Ideally, this would include a picture from the tip or tail to show us the relative size of your boots to binding and board. This way we can tell whether there is too little edge to initiate or if they're imbalanced on either side.

As far as boots go, I'd be surprised if you can't find a solution to these. As you said they will be too soft(Id probably say way too soft). You may be on the smaller side for a woman but you still have an adult's body. Never encountered this but someone here on the forum probably has.

If you can problem solve these issues the board search will become much easier (y) .

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
You should probably have around 20 cm waist width on a snowboard, hard to find. Might want to get one custom made. I think some womens boots start at youth size 3, but could be hard to find them in shops.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lot of the forum members(including myself) have experience working in shops. That being said, your situation is still rare. If you can provide a picture of your board and bindings with the boots strapped that'd be helpful for anyone looking to provide advice.

Ideally, this would include a picture from the tip or tail to show us the relative size of your boots to binding and board. This way we can tell whether there is too little edge to initiate or if they're imbalanced on either side.

As far as boots go, I'd be surprised if you can't find a solution to these. As you said they will be too soft(Id probably say way too soft). You may be on the smaller side for a woman but you still have an adult's body. Never encountered this but someone here on the forum probably has.

If you can problem solve these issues
the board search will become much easier (y) .

Welcome to the forum!
Thank you- here are some pics of the board with the boots and bindings…
Flooring Floor Wood Gas Tints and shades
Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Wood Paint Tints and shades
Shoe Purple Wood Pink Asphalt

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you- here are some pics of the board with the boots and bindings… View attachment 158980 View attachment 158981 View attachment 158982
According to Evo, the 2022 version of this board is wider at 238mm waist width. You could go up to a 135/139 but those are even wider than your 2017. Some underhang is desirable for carving and getting on edge or you'll "boot out". If you are having trouble linking turns, go smaller. 125ish.

Camber may be better than flying V since rocker can be washy if you're really cranking a turn. But if you're having trouble carving on one edge it may be your boots aren't centered or you need more time on the board. I wouldn't go longer in size at your weight unless you know what you want. A 125 might work if you're on smaller hills/runs. Are you able to link turns down the entire hill? What makes it hard "to get edges"?
I am trying to figure out how to explain it best. It feels like my boots are too soft and far back to get on the front edge. I am great on the back edge, but when I look at my board/boots/bindings compared to my sons it makes it seem like the mechanics/physics of my set up would make it a lot more difficult than his. (Nurse/Science nerd lol).
Shoe Outdoor shoe Walking shoe Grey Sportswear
Sports equipment Walking shoe Font Outdoor shoe Tints and shades

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
1,639 Posts
I doubt your boots are too small to get the edges to engage. I'm sure both the board and the boots are on the soft side, which can make it tough to get the edges to dig in. Are you riding icy conditions? Is it just one edge (ie heel side) or both?

A few manufactures have stiffer kid's boots, but they're far and few between. Maybe a good boot fitter can take up enough space in a size 4 to make it work with your tiny feet.

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
1,639 Posts
Looking at your pics I'd say the boots/bindings could/should be shifted to the toe side edge a little.
What bindings are you using???

The downside is that can take away some of your heelside pressure. You may just need to work on those muscles - they're unusual muscles to use and it takes a while them to build up and create the muscle memory needed to snowboard at an intermediate+ level.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I doubt your boots are too small to get the edges to engage. I'm sure both the board and the boots are on the soft side, which can make it tough to get the edges to dig in. Are you riding icy conditions? Is it just one edge (ie heel side) or both?

A few manufactures have stiffer kid's boots, but they're far and few between. Maybe a good boot fitter can take up enough space in a size 4 to make it work with your tiny feet.
Thank you for your response. The heel side is great, it’s the toe side that is difficult. I am not sure that too small is the word I am looking for. It feels as if the bindings don’t get tight enough in the right areas, the boots aren’t as close to the front edge as most people’s and there is too much flex in the boots along with them not being tight enough in 2 areas.

Which manufactures would you recommend I look at?
Textile Purple Bag Tints and shades Luggage and bags

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking at your pics I'd say the boots/bindings could/should be shifted to the toe side edge a little.
What bindings are you using???

The downside is that can take away some of your heelside pressure. You may just need to work on those muscles - they're unusual muscles to use and it takes a while them to build up and create the muscle memory needed to snowboard at an intermediate+ level.
I would assume it is similar muscles to having been a gymnast and wakeboarder my entire life?

The fact that I can feel the boots folding/flexing as I am attempting to go on the front edge makes me feel like stiffer boots would make it much easier to support the front edge of the board. It also feels like the bindings don’t wrap around the boot as my sons do and I cannot tighten them because it is already as tight as it will go. Maybe a better way to say it is my boots don’t feel very secure in the bindings?

It looks like burton - mission smalls bindings?
Shoe Textile Grey Outdoor shoe Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I have a hard time recommending boots - boots that fit me great, might not be a good fit for the next guy or gal. Nidecker has a kids boot that they claim is stiff, but I've never laid hands on the boot myself.

Are you getting heel-lift - as in you heel comes up when you apply pressure to the toes? That would explain the inability to get toeside pressure. The loose top would also explain why you're having a hard time getting toeside pressure. Are you cranking the laces down really tight? I generally shoot for " slightly uncomfortable, but not painful" when it come to how tight I lace my boots.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I would assume it is similar muscles to having been a gymnast and wakeboarder my entire life?

The fact that I can feel the boots folding/flexing as I am attempting to go on the front edge makes me feel like stiffer boots would make it much easier to support the front edge of the board. It also feels like the bindings don’t wrap around the boot as my sons do and I cannot tighten them because it is already as tight as it will go. Maybe a better way to say it is my boots don’t feel very secure in the bindings?

It looks like burton - mission smalls bindings? View attachment 158986
That ankle strap looks too big for your boot. Looks like you already adjusted it as small as possible. Maybe foam in the boot to take up some space. Usually the problem we deal with on here is feet are too big and/or wide. Too small/narrow is definitely a unique problem to have.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a hard time recommending boots - boots that fit me great, might not be a good fit for the next guy or gal. Nidecker has a kids boot that they claim is stiff, but I've never laid hands on the boot myself.

Are you getting heel-lift - as in you heel comes up when you apply pressure to the toes? That would explain the inability to get toeside pressure. The loose top would also explain why you're having a hard time getting toeside pressure. Are you cranking the laces down really tight? I generally shoot for " slightly uncomfortable, but not painful" when it come to how tight I lace my boots.
Yes- I have them as tight as they will go at the adjustable turn in the middle. I can’t tighten them anymore. My son gets so annoyed with me because I sit and try to tighten them more and more haha, but they don’t get any tighter. I don’t recall heel lift as much as the fact that it is not tight enough around my calf and I can’t tighten them anymore.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That ankle strap looks too big for your boot. Looks like you already adjusted it as small as possible. Maybe foam in the boot to take up some space. Usually the problem we deal with on here is feet are too big and/or wide. Too small/narrow is definitely a unique problem to have.
This equipment was given to me, so I am just wanting to know what equipment I should try to buy. Do you suggest smaller bindings, diff board and boots etc. lol?
Haha - a unique problem to have … it is also an annoying problem to have. 🤣

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
This equipment was given to me, so I am just wanting to know what equipment I should try to buy. Do you suggest smaller bindings, diff board and boots etc. lol?
I'd probably keep the board for now. Boots are your most important piece of equipment, so I'd start by finding a good boot fitter and see if they can make the boots work for you, or maybe you need new or smaller boots. Kinda sounds like you need smaller boots to me. Snowboarders often go down a size from their regular shoe size for their boots. Once you have your boots sorted, then you move onto seeing if your current bindings will work or if you need to get new bindings (maybe kids bindings since you'll probably be in kids boots). Hopefully some more knowledgeable people can make some specific recommendations on what boots might work for you.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Looks like Jimi covered most of this. That being said, I just got caught up so I'll throw my observations in here.

Just as a disclaimer : Go to a shop you trust and get their in-house advice. Your situation is something that an associate or tech can problem solve pretty easily.

Beyond that!

1) Your bindings and boots aren't correctly mounted on the board. You have a decent amount of heel overhang(which is perfectly fine) but no toe overhang. Essentially this gives you little to no ability to properly engage your toe side turns while giving you much more leverage on your heel side turns. A lot of imbalance there.

2) Burton Missions are men's bindings. Even their smallest sizes won't fit your boots. Go and see if you can match up your boots to a S size woman's binding.

See Manicmouse's post below.

3) As Jimi said, "Boots are your most important piece of equipment, so I'd start by finding a good boot fitter and see if they can make the boots work for you...". Given the width of your foot and difficulty to find a correct fit any good shop can get you a custom liner to help make a nice match for you foot to boot. Typically these go for 150 usd to 300 usd for snowboarders. See Intuition Boot Liners

Best advice we can give is find a good local shop and build a relationship with them. Once you do the culture will take care of you!

Hopefully this all helps, God speed!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
You could check the Union Cadet XS bindings, just to try the smallest ones. Going down a size will put your foot towards the toeside, but you are in between sizes, so balance could shift. Salomon Futures could be exactly in your size, not sure. In general, bindings that are too large tend to suck. Maybe the Escapade from Burton will work in S, as the heel hammock thing kinda pushes your foot forward a bit.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts