Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
You could check the Union Cadet XS bindings, just to try the smallest ones. Going down a size will put your foot towards the toeside, but you are in between sizes, so balance could shift. Salomon Futures could be exactly in your size, not sure. In general, bindings that are too large tend to suck. Maybe the Escapade from Burton will work in S, as the heel hammock thing kinda pushes your foot forward a bit.
Thank you so much for the great advice and for taking the time to help me out. My son has the bindings below, as you can prob also see in other pics in my previous posts. We are trading his equipment in for a bigger size since he has grown. Would his bindings work for me? What are your thoughts on that?

Product Black Automotive design Font Automotive lighting

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Looks like Jimi covered most of this. That being said, I just got caught up so I'll throw my observations in here.

Just as a disclaimer : Go to a shop you trust and get their in-house advice. Your situation is something that an associate or tech can problem solve pretty easily.

Beyond that!

1) Your bindings and boots aren't correctly mounted on the board. You have a decent amount of heel overhang(which is perfectly fine) but no toe overhang. Essentially this gives you little to no ability to properly engage your toe side turns while giving you much more leverage on your heel side turns. A lot of imbalance there.

2) Burton Missions are men's bindings. Even their smallest sizes won't fit your boots. Go and see if you can match up your boots to a S size woman's binding.

See Manicmouse's post below.

3) As Jimi said, "Boots are your most important piece of equipment, so I'd start by finding a good boot fitter and see if they can make the boots work for you...". Given the width of your foot and difficulty to find a correct fit any good shop can get you a custom liner to help make a nice match for you foot to boot. Typically these go for 150 usd to 300 usd for snowboarders. See Intuition Boot Liners

Best advice we can give is find a good local shop and build a relationship with them. Once you do the culture will take care of you!

Hopefully this all helps, God speed!
Thank you for all of your help! The thing is I have a really good relationship with the local shop where I live and I am friends with the person who has helped me with this equipment. Now I don’t really know what to do? I live in Central NC, so we don’t have very many shops to choose from. The other shop around here basically said you’re a unique case and I don’t really know of many options. 😏

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Thank you so much for the great advice and for taking the time to help me out. My son has the bindings below, as you can prob also see in other pics in my previous posts. We are trading his equipment in for a bigger size since he has grown. Would his bindings work for me? What are your thoughts on that?

View attachment 158998
You can try to mount them on your board, but those bindings are for toddlers, that don’t have much leverage with height and weight, and usually just swivel around with stiff legs and oversized boots. There’s just one strap on them, so I’m not sure how much control you would get out of it.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
There are several things you can do...but they are diy or you might be able to find some off the shelf remedy...but kind of unlikely:

For soft boots, get or make some tongue stiffeners...
Make out of heat mouldable plastic sheets from a hobby store or on line,
The Eliminator Custom Tongue Shims (tognar.com)

For edge leverage issues:
See if you can find or make a slotted disc for your bindings so that you can slightly move your bindings toward toeside. Some binding disc already have the slot...maybe new bindings.

Ski power wraps that go around both your boot and your highbacks...they are high up on the cuff of the boot and highback and thus you get a higher leverage point. First try just doing the leading boot/foot/leg.

Another thing to get or make some riser plates. You can make some out of high density plastic or cutting board material. Made some 20mm plates for my daughter when she was a kid about your size/weight. They looked weird...but she was rocking a 148 cambered FR board. With the riser plates, you will learn a lot about edge control because the much more effective edge response. Methinks that 15-20mm plates would work great. Idk, but Palmer used to make 10mm power plates...don't know if they are still around. My links don't work in the Boot FAQ sticky...later I will try to find a pics of the plates, stiffeners and power wrap and post.

Or try to find some bindings that sit a bit elevated off the board.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Apologies, just reviewed your op. You got the channel system...so I would make an adaptive riser plate. That is make a plate that is slotted on the outside foot print of the bindings so that you can adjust the bindings toeside and get the higher leverage point. And then just drill and t-nut/bolt (recessed t-nut) your bindings on the plate. With the channel system it would be an easy diy and you would need to get a longer bolt for the slots to the channel t-nut.

Also for your binding straps, cut down or re-adjust the strap...maybe need to cut the plastic strap on the inside side of the binding and drill a new hole to make the strap shorter (do not do the ladder/ratchet side).

Hopefully your SO, bf or a friend has a drill press, band/jig saw and is handy...it would take me about 1-2 hours for the plate and the too long of straps.

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
1,639 Posts
@wrathfuldeity. Good advice. I didn't think about modding the straps, but that is an excellent option. I thought about the Palmer plates (which can still be found) but wasn't sure if they'd work with the channel system.

Riser's definitely help get leverage, but that works both ways - when you catch an edge the feedback is stronger. So if you flat board a lot, keep in mind riser plates cut both ways. If you typically stay on edge, then risers could be a real advantage for you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
You can try to mount them on your board, but those bindings are for toddlers, that don’t have much leverage with height and weight, and usually just swivel around with stiff legs and oversized boots. There’s just one strap on them, so I’m not sure how much control you would get out of it.
That is what I assumed haha- but just wanted to make sure that I was right in that assumption. He used them as a 7 and 8 year old.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Oh...just thought of an easier idea...that will fix 2 or 3 problems at once...the straps and leverage angle. Just add some high density plastic 10-15-20mm layer on the top of the baseplate of your bindings. Just use some industrial velcro tabs to attach the riser plate to the binding base plate. So with this option, perhaps a better idea is that you might be able to upgrade to some regular xs real channel bindings. My brain cell is fuck'n on fire today...rare day today.

But for tongue stiffeners in my old worn out 32's, I just slip the tongues from my Atomic Backland hardboots inbetween the liner the shell...works great. And if the stiffeners are too big cut them down and if too stiff just cut a slit or small V shape like in the second link below. Order them now!

Atomic Backland Hard Tongues - Cripple Creek Backcountry (cripplecreekbc.com)

Atomic Backland Tongues (skimo.co)

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
@wrathfuldeity.
Riser's definitely help get leverage, but that works both ways - when you catch an edge the feedback is stronger. So if you flat board a lot, keep in mind riser plates cut both ways. If you typically stay on edge, then risers could be a real advantage for you.
OP this is true...but if you can learn to manage the responsiveness. You will develop in to a badass, your riding will become much more fluid and graceful. And since you mentioned being a gymnast, I sure you have the agility and body awareness to make this work.

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
1,639 Posts
@wrathfuldeity - you are on fire. Making a plate that sits above the binding would be an easier project and take up the extra space she has in the binding. I'll add, maybe contact glue a layer of EVA foam on top of the high density plastic to increase dampness and so the plastic isn't as slick when trying to strap in. @SunDancer, hopefully you know somebody with some handyman skills and tools. Shouldn't be too hard of a project for somebody with a good jigsaw or bandsaw.

Those Atomic Backland Tongues will definitely stiffen up the boot and help create toe side edge pressure.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
OP this is true...but if you can learn to manage the responsiveness. You will develop in to a badass, your riding will become much more fluid and graceful. And since you mentioned being a gymnast, I sure you have the agility and body awareness to make this work.
I missed the gymnast part. If she's anything like my daughter (also a gymnast) I'm going to assume the OP has really good form and can maintain her balance and body control. Riser's shouldn't present a challenge for her.

Of the options offered up here, I'd say risers on top of the binding makes the most sense since that will probably fix the issue with the ankle strap and improve leverage. I'd bet @SunDancer will see a world of difference with this inexpensive modification.

·
Premium Member
Endeavor BOD, Fix Magnum, Burton Driver X
1,773 Posts

View attachment 158998
Absolutely! Avoid these.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
@wrathfuldeity - you are on fire. Making a plate that sits above the binding would be an easier project and take up the extra space she has in the binding. I'll add, maybe contact glue a layer of EVA foam on top of the high density plastic to increase dampness and so the plastic isn't as slick when trying to strap in. @SunDancer, hopefully you know somebody with some handyman skills and tools. Shouldn't be too hard of a project for somebody with a good jigsaw or bandsaw.

Those Atomic Backland Tongues will definitely stiffen up the boot and help create toe side edge pressure.
I wish I had someone to do all of this, but unfortunate I do not. Single mom nurse over here lol. I am in the process of planning a trip to Park City for us. Do you think there would be more options for boots/binding/board solutions here as opposed to NC?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So, I came across this board and it seems to have a more narrow waist as some of you suggested. A couple of questions…

1. What are your thoughts on this board to begin with?

2. It says it is an all mountain board. Would this work for Park City as well as east coast boarding (ya know- the lovely snow/ice man made mix 😂)?

3. Do you think the flex is too soft?

4. I am truly someone who boards both directions, as they both feel natural to me in different scenarios. Not sure if that is normal or not, but would this board allow for that at all times? (Sorry if this is a dumb question)

5. What size would you guys suggest? 4’11 and 96 lbs.
Font Line Feather Magenta Screenshot
Rectangle Font Communication Device Screenshot Software

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
Alright so the Sparks are linerless boots and fit big. When fitting kids, a 3 in those usually translates to a 4 or bigger in linered boots like the Burtons. Now, I don't have you mondo measurement to work with, which would benefit you to know, but just based on that sizing that puts you at a 22. Salomon makes the Ivy, Pearl, and maybe the Kiana in a 21, Burton has a couple that small as well. The good news, these are real womens boots, much more supportive, more accurate lacing, and will also be warmer. Your issue with the ankle strap is due to the linerless build of your current boot. They are supre low volume. Just moving to a boot with a liner will be enough to fix that issue. There are brands making womens boards in less than 140. I would, after boots are sorted, look into that. They will flat out just perform better. Bindings too, with a women's boot in a 4 you can get womens bindings. What you have now is just polycarb plastic. Gettin an adult binding will be stiffer and transfer energy better.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts