Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Sabrina is a japanese brand that probably makes the best powder board for women, the Cruzer. I don't think it would be easy or cheap to get hold of one, but they have some reps in Whistler. The tail width is 250, and that will help alot with making good turns. Boards like that are more for advanced freeriding and powder though. Pair it up with a Burton Escapade and the right boots, you would have an awesome setup. Just to give you an idea of what's out there. Besides that, the Never Summers and the Jess Kimura series from Capita are the most narrow twins I've seen, or seen recommended on the forums.

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
1,636 Posts
@SunDancer, I wouldn't worry about the board. Boots and bindings and how the boots and bindings work together is more important than the board. I still think the idea of a plastic riser between your boots and the bindings is a great idea, but you'll need somebody capable of taking that project on.

Nivek is an industry insider, so I'd give his advice a lot of weight. Check out the link below for some advice on boots and boot sizing; providing some measurements for us will help a lot. If you can get into real woman's boots, then that helps alot, but as a usual rule of thumb you want your boots to be a little on the tight size; "we" generally use a boot that's ~1 size smaller than out shoe size.

Park City will almost certainly have some better options for you. However, mid-season can be a bad time shop, especially for a hard to find size. Plus the pandemic has created a shortage of snowboarding gear, so the intrawebz might be your best option. BTW, speaking of the pandemic, thanks for your service - single mom + nurse during the pandemic must be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
@SunDancer, I wouldn't worry about the board. Boots and bindings and how the boots and bindings work together is more important than the board. I still think the idea of a plastic riser between your boots and the bindings is a great idea, but you'll need somebody capable of taking that project on.

Nivek is an industry insider, so I'd give his advice a lot of weight. Check out the link below for some advice on boots and boot sizing; providing some measurements for us will help a lot. If you can get into real woman's boots, then that helps alot, but as a usual rule of thumb you want your boots to be a little on the tight size; "we" generally use a boot that's ~1 size smaller than out shoe size.

Park City will almost certainly have some better options for you. However, mid-season can be a bad time shop, especially for a hard to find size. Plus the pandemic has created a shortage of snowboarding gear, so the intrawebz might be your best option. BTW, speaking of the pandemic, thanks for your service - single mom + nurse during the pandemic must be a lot of fun.

So we are actually going to Park City at the beginning of the season! Hoping conditions will be okay, though. Kind of worried about that part.

I had someone at a shop here measure my feet last season. It was done on a machine as well as by him (diff place than where I got the board for free). I just sent him an email and asked if he had my measurements on file and told him the situation and asked if he has anything available for me to try. I also asked if he could please send me the measurements he has, if they keep them. I hope that doesn’t upset him, but he was unable to find a solution last season and that is why I didn’t buy any from him. Maybe he will have something I can try this season. It definitely can’t hurt to ask him.

The boots I currently have are a mondo size 21.0
Product Automotive tire Sleeve Motor vehicle Font

And on the bottom under the Mondo sizing, it says BOA cable 120cm.

I am thinking the narrow is definitely playing a part in it feeling more flexible as well. The chart you showed would mean mine is definitely narrow. Mine is 3inches for the width. These are the most narrow I have ever tried by far. Every other boot I have ever put on, is significantly wider than these that I currently have. There is no doubt about that.

Thanks for the shout out for my service as a nurse. The pandemic has been quite a challenge in my field and it is more divided now than I ever imagined. I don’t look at it as service because I love what I do as on Oncology Nurse.

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
1,636 Posts
We're looking at that Mondo Size - 21. Try looking at some of the boots Nivek mentioned, he does this for a living, I'm just a keyboard commando throwing my 2 cents in. Clinton was in office the last time I had to deal with fitting boots. :p

·
Registered
93 Posts
So we are actually going to Park City at the beginning of the season! Hoping conditions will be okay, though. Kind of worried about that part.

I am thinking the narrow is definitely playing a part in it feeling more flexible as well. The chart you showed would mean mine is definitely narrow. Mine is 3inches for the width. These are the most narrow I have ever tried by far. Every other boot I have ever put on, is significantly wider than these that I currently have. There is no doubt about that.
Park City, sounds like fun!

If you make it out there I know some killer boot fitters.

Otherwise, Nivek's input is a Godsend. In the Women's range, you'll find more variety beyond just a fit in length. You'll also find boots that fit snug in the heel and wide in the toe box as well other variations which could be important given your history. Also, a lot can also be done with the liners which your boots lack. A lot of opportunity here. Sounds like you already are working on this but as Wrathful says figure out your foot size, width, length, last* depending on the shape of your foot.

Cheers

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
If you’re headed to Park City head to Max’s Boards. Guy that runs it is honestly a bit of a “it was better when they hated us” kinda kook, but he’ll definitely fit you right for boots. Or stop by CO and Summit County and I can point you at people that I would trust to fit myself!
My gut based on the narrow talk is that the Salomon boots have a better chance at fitting than Burton. Before you head to Utah, call the shop and ask if they have a 4 and a 5. Do this two weeks out. If they do, try to buy over the phone so they don’t get sold, or if they don’t, have them special order them. Max’s is part of Vail. If they don’t have it, another shop should and should be able to send it over. But make sure you do it early enough that it will be there when you arrive.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I have tried 4’s and 5’s and they were way too big, but it is worth a try. I suppose it can’t hurt. 🤷🏼‍♀️
I will definitely check these places out. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I have tried 4’s and 5’s and they were way too big, but it is worth a try. I suppose it can’t hurt. 🤷🏼‍♀️
I will definitely check these places out. Thank you.
You may been trying the wrong 4s. A kid's 3 is equivalent to women's 4 and mondo 21, so there should be a 4 that works for you. Burton's men's boots are known for being wide, but I don't know if that is the case with their women's line.

You can also try a foot bed in the liner to take up extra space. And you'll need some woman's bindings that will transfer power into the edges.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Alright so the Sparks are linerless boots and fit big. When fitting kids, a 3 in those usually translates to a 4 or bigger in linered boots like the Burtons. Now, I don't have you mondo measurement to work with, which would benefit you to know, but just based on that sizing that puts you at a 22. Salomon makes the Ivy, Pearl, and maybe the Kiana in a 21, Burton has a couple that small as well. The good news, these are real womens boots, much more supportive, more accurate lacing, and will also be warmer. Your issue with the ankle strap is due to the linerless build of your current boot. They are supre low volume. Just moving to a boot with a liner will be enough to fix that issue. There are brands making womens boards in less than 140. I would, after boots are sorted, look into that. They will flat out just perform better. Bindings too, with a women's boot in a 4 you can get womens bindings. What you have now is just polycarb plastic. Gettin an adult binding will be stiffer and transfer energy better.
so- went to a shop that measured my feet as well as my sons feet on the machine.They said my mondo size is 21.0 to 21.5, so I guess I am in-between sizes. The ride says they are 21.0 and they are still a little big on me with my 1 pair of socks. Yes, Burton fits very different. For me, way too wide and way too bulky. I did order the Nidecker Micron ones to try. Hopefully they fit and are stiffer than the sparks. Do you think the 3 or 4 is what I should have ordered?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
Is it just me or is this three pages without any pictures of feet?
Ha ha- fair question… Someone had mentioned that kids gear may not work due to a women's body being different than a kids. I was trying to show that I am not one of those girls that is claiming to be smaller than I am and that I am truly struggling to find something that works because it is so frustrating. I know that often people may assume that someone may claim to weigh less or be smaller than they are (especially women-ha ha). I am legit small and needing help. There are many 12 year old girls who have more of a “womanly” figure/body, than I do. 😂

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·

Do you have a women’s or youth mondo size chart other than just men’s? My measurements I just took are smaller than the ones on that?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Alright so the Sparks are linerless boots and fit big. When fitting kids, a 3 in those usually translates to a 4 or bigger in linered boots like the Burtons. Now, I don't have you mondo measurement to work with, which would benefit you to know, but just based on that sizing that puts you at a 22. Salomon makes the Ivy, Pearl, and maybe the Kiana in a 21, Burton has a couple that small as well. The good news, these are real womens boots, much more supportive, more accurate lacing, and will also be warmer. Your issue with the ankle strap is due to the linerless build of your current boot. They are supre low volume. Just moving to a boot with a liner will be enough to fix that issue. There are brands making womens boards in less than 140. I would, after boots are sorted, look into that. They will flat out just perform better. Bindings too, with a women's boot in a 4 you can get womens bindings. What you have now is just polycarb plastic. Gettin an adult binding will be stiffer and transfer energy better.
OP, first get your boot size dialed...take a look and get some pics of your feet measurements according to @wiredsports instructions. That way wired can get you dialed in with some potential boots to consider.

Snowboard Boot Size Web Tool - Mondo, Brannock & Internet | Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

As for your weight, methinks a 138-140 range
here you go …
Leg Wood Grey Floor Line
Water Wood Beige Grey Floor

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Very nice, but turn your ruler around...we want cm's not inches. The cm measurements will correlate with mondo size which will translate to a better measurement...because everybody has a different size 7 or whatever.

edit: make sure you "zero" out on the ruler.

Perhaps another way to measure...to add stand on a piece of paper, make marks length and width wise and then measure them with the cm ruler. Post both the pictures with your feet and with the marks on the paper.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
So once we get accurate cm measurements....btw zoom in a bit on the pic measurements. Then perhaps @Wiredsport can note some models and brands for yer petite peds. Also don't worry about a 1/2 mondo size, you can use boot shims, mod liners and etc.

Also start looking for after market insoles. You want the insoles to match the profile of your arches and etc...but more of that stuff later.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Do it against an even vertical surface so your heel and then sides get proper support. Mark the floor if you have to. Then make sure to get accurate millimetre measurements.
Going to have to find somewhere to do that. My entire house has molding along the baseboards. Will do this ASAP.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Another random question I have is, what type of board is best for someone like me who naturally rides with either foot forward? I assume a true twin, but what about the rocker types etc? I know the current board I have is a “Flying V” roc/cam/roc/cam/roc and the one I was looking at with the smaller waist to fit my smaller boots and bindings I need is an “original” cam/roc/cam.

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
The camber wont make a difference other than preference. And Flying V is an RC board (camber outside the feet, rocker between) the 'extra' rocker zone after the camber zone in the tips is not really there.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts