Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
2,150 Posts
Do you have a women’s or youth mondo size chart other than just men’s? My measurements I just took are smaller than the ones on that?
That chart is kids, womens and mens. According to that chart 21 mondo is size 4 women's and size 3 kids. Women's US sizes are the second column.

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
2,150 Posts
Another random question I have is, what type of board is best for someone like me who naturally rides with either foot forward? I assume a true twin, but what about the rocker types etc? I know the current board I have is a “Flying V” roc/cam/roc/cam/roc and the one I was looking at with the smaller waist to fit my smaller boots and bindings I need is an “original” cam/roc/cam.
Rocker dominate boards (like the Flying V) tend to be more forgiving, but not as responsive and vice/versa. Generally speaking rocker dominate boards are for spins and tricks and camber dominate are more for carving turns. I think you'd want a true twin or directional twin. Good luck finding boots. Don't forget you can use insole to take up some space in the boot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
That chart is kids, womens and mens. According to that chart 21 mondo is size 4 women's and size 3 kids. Women's US sizes are the second column.
Yes, I am going to get measurements because the 21.0 that I have, is definitely quite roomy, but still better than any of the others I’ve tried.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Yes, I am going to get measurements because the 21.0 that I have, is definitely quite roomy, but still better than any of the others I’ve tried.
Wow, tiny feets. What size shoe do you normally wear?

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
I'm going to make a non-gear recommendation based on you having trouble edging, apparently due to flexible gear and small feet. It's always a possibility that this is a technique problem and not a gear problem, but...

Use double positive angles on your bindings (ride with both feet facing forward) and see how you do. That style means you'll naturally be leaning more with your hips to ride instead of pressuring with your feet. It takes the feet out of the equation a little bit.

Not having a forward foot preference is a good thing, so if you're naturally good at riding do one day with the left foot forward then flip the bindings around and ride the next day opposite.

However, I don't mean to be rude but most beginner snowboarders don't have a preference because they're equally bad in both directions. Without a video of you riding it's difficult to diagnose if the problem is gear or technique.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I'm going to make a non-gear recommendation based on you having trouble edging, apparently due to flexible gear and small feet. It's always a possibility that this is a technique problem and not a gear problem, but...

Use double positive angles on your bindings (ride with both feet facing forward) and see how you do. That style means you'll naturally be leaning more with your hips to ride instead of pressuring with your feet. It takes the feet out of the equation a little bit.

Not having a forward foot preference is a good thing, so if you're naturally good at riding do one day with the left foot forward then flip the bindings around and ride the next day opposite.

However, I don't mean to be rude but most beginner snowboarders don't have a preference because they're equally bad in both directions. Without a video of you riding it's difficult to diagnose if the problem is gear or technique.
Good point about the double positive angles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·

I appreciate your suggestion, the preference of being able to go both directions truly comes from being a gymnast my entire life and doing everything both directions. Not all gymnasts are able to “switch” their lead foot/hand direction, but I am one that does so naturally. The same thing goes for wakeboarding as well.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I buy kids tennis shoes and wear Vans, size 2.5 and converse size 2 to work as a nurse.
So just under a women's size 4, mondo 20 probably. I think either way you're going to need some modifications to find something that works. Probably an adult boot with insole and some foam to take up the excess space in there or some of the modifications we were throwing around earlier in the thread, like power straps and risers. I think you might be better off going with "oversized" adult gear because your background as a gymnast and wakeboarder suggests you're pretty athletic and strong despite your small size; you're probably going to over power kid's gear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
So just under a women's size 4, mondo 20 probably. I think either way you're going to need some modifications to find something that works. Probably an adult boot with insole and some foam to take up the excess space in there or some of the modifications we were throwing around earlier in the thread, like power straps and risers. I think you might be better off going with "oversized" adult gear because your background as a gymnast and wakeboarder suggests you're pretty athletic and strong despite your small size; you're probably going to over power kid's gear.
Yes it is a struggle because women’s are usually very wide in the calf and through the foot and ankle. Then they tend to go up quite high on my calf as well. Other than ride, what are the most narrow women’s brands you would recommend?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Yes it is a struggle because women’s are usually very wide in the calf and through the foot and ankle. Then they tend to go up quite high on my calf as well. Other than ride, what are the most narrow women’s brands you would recommend?
I have wide feet, so unfortunately I don't know which brands tend to run narrow. Hopefully somebody with more knowledge chimes in. You have exceptionally small feet even for a petite gal. My 8 & 11 year olds have bigger feet and my 11 year old is exceptionally small for her age.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I have wide feet, so unfortunately I don't know which brands tend to run narrow. Hopefully somebody with more knowledge chimes in. You have exceptionally small feet even for a petite gal. My 8 & 11 year olds have bigger feet and my 11 year old is exceptionally small for her age.
Haha - I know, right ….. I feel so defeated here! 😌

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Haha - I know, right ….. I feel so defeated here! 😌

Having fought the other side of the battle (big wide feet), I feel your pain, but it seems like they've come up with better solutions for "big foots" thus far.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
paging @Wiredsport

SD you could do several things after getting the boot size and brand dialed in as close as possible. iirc Solomon boots used to be fairly narrow. Wiredsport would know the current narrow brands for boards and boots.

So the things...in no particular order after the boots.
boot shims
aftermarket or custom insoles
tongue stiffeners
power wrap straps
heavy liner mods with butterflies, c and j bars, padding on the tongue mostly to create a heel pocket and keep my heel down.
narrow waisted women's boards
riser plates
stiff bindings
AT boots

I have small feet, mondo 24 and have tried and done all of the above. They all work to a certain extent. Me thinks that you will want a performance level fit to help you get the response and due to you being athletic. The top six are basically things to get your boot to a performance level fit. And the bottom 4 things are things to get a performance level response...both really go hand in hand.

So boots first, ones that are stiff
then mod the liners
then consider the bottom 4 items,,,depending on your budget and determination and your participation level of the sport...AT boot route is perhaps the last and most costly...but might have the most significant improvement...but you will still need to do the liner mods...not for the faint of heart or casual rider.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
I am trying to figure out how to explain it best. It feels like my boots are too soft and far back to get on the front edge. I am great on the back edge, but when I look at my board/boots/bindings compared to my sons it makes it seem like the mechanics/physics of my set up would make it a lot more difficult than his. (Nurse/Science nerd lol). View attachment 158983 View attachment 158984
Here's how you fix a biased response of being heelside or toeside heavy. For you, move your bindings just a few mm's toward the toe edge. Perhaps start with just moving the lead binding. Just take a screw driver to the hill, do a run or two, make an adjustment until you feel there is a balanced response between both toeside and heelside. However the starting place...find the mid line of the board, then you want the mid line of your foot to stack directly over the midline of the board. Don't worry about the midline of the boot...use adjusting the bindings across the board to get the midline of your foot over the mid line of the board.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
+1 on modifying whatever boots you get. Angry Snowboarder's Bootfit 101 changed my life on the slopes.

I also second riding with a screwdriver or using the resort's tool bench to dial in your setup. Every time I get a new board, I'm playing with my bindings until I get it dialed. I rode with a screwdriver for most of a season when I was transitioning into ++ angles. I'd make a small change every run or two until I got into the Goldilocks zone.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
+1 on modifying whatever boots you get. Angry Snowboarder's Bootfit 101 changed my life on the slopes.

I also second riding with a screwdriver or using the resort's tool bench to dial in your setup. Every time I get a new board, I'm playing with my bindings until I get it dialed. I rode with a screwdriver for most of a season when I was transitioning into ++ angles. I'd make a small change every run or two until I got into the Goldilocks zone.
Checked out Angry's Boot fitting videos. Didn't realize there is so much you can do to take up volume in a boot. I've dealt with wide feet my whole life, but some of the boot fitting threads on here make me realize I've had it pretty easy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you for your response. The heel side is great, it’s the toe side that is difficult. I am not sure that too small is the word I am looking for. It feels as if the bindings don’t get tight enough in the right areas, the boots aren’t as close to the front edge as most people’s and there is too much flex in the boots along with them not being tight enough in 2 areas.

Which manufactures would you recommend I look at? View attachment 158985
Also have baby feet.
I understand the desperation of not being able to center the bindings on the sole of the board.
For a few seasons I have alleviated this by buying slightly larger size boots, mondopoint 22 "Deeluxe with Tps Shield" mondopoint 23 "Northwave F3" inner bootie with custom insoles and padding layers. My feet are small but duck shaped very narrow at the ankles and always fly into aggressive transitions... (I've gotten a handle on this)
For the next season I have ordered two custom boards, I think here is the answer, waist widths and inserts can come into play.
I hope it is the final solution.
It is frustrating that the market does not take into account small women with aggressive driving and leads us to children's material, with men it is easier, the referral is to female material.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts