Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
1,639 Posts
Do you have a women’s or youth mondo size chart other than just men’s? My measurements I just took are smaller than the ones on that?
That chart is kids, womens and mens. According to that chart 21 mondo is size 4 women's and size 3 kids. Women's US sizes are the second column.

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
1,639 Posts
Another random question I have is, what type of board is best for someone like me who naturally rides with either foot forward? I assume a true twin, but what about the rocker types etc? I know the current board I have is a “Flying V” roc/cam/roc/cam/roc and the one I was looking at with the smaller waist to fit my smaller boots and bindings I need is an “original” cam/roc/cam.
Rocker dominate boards (like the Flying V) tend to be more forgiving, but not as responsive and vice/versa. Generally speaking rocker dominate boards are for spins and tricks and camber dominate are more for carving turns. I think you'd want a true twin or directional twin. Good luck finding boots. Don't forget you can use insole to take up some space in the boot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
That chart is kids, womens and mens. According to that chart 21 mondo is size 4 women's and size 3 kids. Women's US sizes are the second column.
Yes, I am going to get measurements because the 21.0 that I have, is definitely quite roomy, but still better than any of the others I’ve tried.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Yes, I am going to get measurements because the 21.0 that I have, is definitely quite roomy, but still better than any of the others I’ve tried.
Wow, tiny feets. What size shoe do you normally wear?

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
I'm going to make a non-gear recommendation based on you having trouble edging, apparently due to flexible gear and small feet. It's always a possibility that this is a technique problem and not a gear problem, but...

Use double positive angles on your bindings (ride with both feet facing forward) and see how you do. That style means you'll naturally be leaning more with your hips to ride instead of pressuring with your feet. It takes the feet out of the equation a little bit.

Not having a forward foot preference is a good thing, so if you're naturally good at riding do one day with the left foot forward then flip the bindings around and ride the next day opposite.

However, I don't mean to be rude but most beginner snowboarders don't have a preference because they're equally bad in both directions. Without a video of you riding it's difficult to diagnose if the problem is gear or technique.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I'm going to make a non-gear recommendation based on you having trouble edging, apparently due to flexible gear and small feet. It's always a possibility that this is a technique problem and not a gear problem, but...

Use double positive angles on your bindings (ride with both feet facing forward) and see how you do. That style means you'll naturally be leaning more with your hips to ride instead of pressuring with your feet. It takes the feet out of the equation a little bit.

Not having a forward foot preference is a good thing, so if you're naturally good at riding do one day with the left foot forward then flip the bindings around and ride the next day opposite.

However, I don't mean to be rude but most beginner snowboarders don't have a preference because they're equally bad in both directions. Without a video of you riding it's difficult to diagnose if the problem is gear or technique.
Good point about the double positive angles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·

I appreciate your suggestion, the preference of being able to go both directions truly comes from being a gymnast my entire life and doing everything both directions. Not all gymnasts are able to “switch” their lead foot/hand direction, but I am one that does so naturally. The same thing goes for wakeboarding as well.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I buy kids tennis shoes and wear Vans, size 2.5 and converse size 2 to work as a nurse.
So just under a women's size 4, mondo 20 probably. I think either way you're going to need some modifications to find something that works. Probably an adult boot with insole and some foam to take up the excess space in there or some of the modifications we were throwing around earlier in the thread, like power straps and risers. I think you might be better off going with "oversized" adult gear because your background as a gymnast and wakeboarder suggests you're pretty athletic and strong despite your small size; you're probably going to over power kid's gear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
So just under a women's size 4, mondo 20 probably. I think either way you're going to need some modifications to find something that works. Probably an adult boot with insole and some foam to take up the excess space in there or some of the modifications we were throwing around earlier in the thread, like power straps and risers. I think you might be better off going with "oversized" adult gear because your background as a gymnast and wakeboarder suggests you're pretty athletic and strong despite your small size; you're probably going to over power kid's gear.
Yes it is a struggle because women’s are usually very wide in the calf and through the foot and ankle. Then they tend to go up quite high on my calf as well. Other than ride, what are the most narrow women’s brands you would recommend?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Yes it is a struggle because women’s are usually very wide in the calf and through the foot and ankle. Then they tend to go up quite high on my calf as well. Other than ride, what are the most narrow women’s brands you would recommend?
I have wide feet, so unfortunately I don't know which brands tend to run narrow. Hopefully somebody with more knowledge chimes in. You have exceptionally small feet even for a petite gal. My 8 & 11 year olds have bigger feet and my 11 year old is exceptionally small for her age.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts