Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1356 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Thanks to Wiredsport's insane snowboard boot knowledge and undeniable foot fetish, it has recently come to my attention that I have wide feet. In fact, many people on here have recently discovered that they have wide feet after properly measuring. "Who cares?", you say. Well, it has led to a lot of Burton Ruler Wide purchases in the last couple months.

For us wide-footers, we have been unknowingly sizing up in our snowboard boots to accommodate our pinched paws without realizing we actually need a wide boot. After about 10 days of riding in our incorrectly sized boots, we get heel lift, tons of movement and overall worthless boots. We end up spending hundreds of dollars on boots that would last 10-20 days. Sucks. As by Wiredsport's thread, A LOT of people are riding incorrectly sized boots without even knowing it. Why spend that much money on ill-fitting equipment?

Okay, so, you already know you need a wide snowboard boot. Now what? Well, you buy wide-specific snowboard boots. Okay, cool. We have like 3 options. Yeah, not cool. I'd venture to guess that there are more people with wide feet than the market indicates by the very limited options available, and I'm hoping we can help change said market. I'm sure there is tons of market research out there, which is probably why there are limited wide models available. But, I can only hope that's because people don't measure their tootsies correctly.

Are wide feet really THAT uncommon that they're barely any wide boots available? Can we help get more wide boots on the market? Let's find out.

Here's how:

1. Already know you have wide feet? Post in this thread.
2. Think you might have wide feet? Post in this thread.
3. Have lots of movement/heel lift in your boots? Post in this thread.
4. Not sure you have correctly sized boots? Post in this thread.
5. Want more wide snowboard boot options? Post in this thread.
6. Own a pair of wide-specific snowboard boots? Post in this thread.

7. Write your favorite boot manufacturer asking for more wide boot options.
8. List all of the wide-specific snowboard boots you know of.

If you're unsure how to measure your feet, I'm sure Wiredsport can help. Seek his thread out if you haven't already. There are tons of pictures, testimonials and confessions of people riding incorrectly sized snowboard boots here:

Snowboard Boot Size Web Tool - Mondo, Brannock &amp...

Below is a chart Wiredsport posted in his thread regarding foot width when he was helping me out. Do yourself, and the industry, a favor and measure the width of your foot to see if you actually have wide feet. You might be surprised.

Measure your foot in centimeters and convert it to inches for accuracy using the conversion below. Then compare it with the chart above. Make sure you know what your actual foot length is as well, otherwise you won't know if you have a wide foot for your true foot length. If you don't know how to measure your foot, seek Wiredsport's thread above to get accurate directions on how.

Lastly, this whole thing started because I wanted to get stiff boots like the Burton Ions. However, I didn't want to spend that much money on boots unless I knew they would last and fit properly considering my last boots had heel lift after minimal riding. That led me to Wiredsport's thread. After eventually discovering I needed a wide model, the only realistic option I have for my width is the Burton Ruler Wide (3E wide). However, that's a soft boot. So, I'm relegated to a soft boot because that's the only boot that will realistically fit my feet comfortably. The Salomon Synapse Wide and Salomon Dialogue Wide are stiffer options, but aren't as wide as the Burton Ruler. Long story short, I really only have one boot option to choose from - the Burton Ruler Wide. Why doesn't Burton make the Ions in a wide version? Why doesn't 32 make wide boots at all? My guess is they think people won't buy them.

We need more wide snowboard boot options out there. Let's rally.

Here is the suggestion I wrote Burton:

To Burton Rider Services said:
Burton,

I’m writing to you because I have a suggestion, not a complaint or warranty claim. I’m writing to you because there are very few wide snowboard boots on the market, but I know there are a lot of wide feet in the snowboard world (many people size up to accommodate for their wide foot without even realizing they actually need a wide model). I’m writing to you because there are very few options for wide boots on the market and there is opportunity for Burton, THE company at the forefront of snowboarding, to change that.

As of right now, the Ruler is the only wide option in Burton’s lineup. That’s unfortunate for people like me that want a stiffer boot, like the Ion, but cannot fit correctly in them unless sizing up. As you know, heel lift is just as bad as a dry winter. I don’t want to have to settle for a medium-flex boot because I have wide feet. I don’t want to have to settle for a boot that holds my riding back because my dogs have more cushion for the pushin’. I don’t want to have to settle period. Please make the SLX, Ion or Driver X in a wide version. I promise there is a market for them. I promise there is money to be made, and happier snowboarders to boot (pun intended).

There are many people, myself included, who purchased the Burton Ruler wide in the last few months because of this thread alone:

Snowboard Boot Size Web Tool - Mondo, Brannock &amp...

To the Burton rep that receives this suggestion, please forward this to the necessary contact.

Thank you for taking the time to read, listen and better snowboarding!

Matt

Here is the response I received:

Response from Burton Rider Services said:
Yo Matt,

I will totally forward this on to the boots department. I know how crappy your day can be when your dogs are barkin'. We are riders trying to accommodate riders so I will do my best to get this up the chain of commands!

Thanks for the support and hopefully we can help you out in the future.

Cheers,

Brett

From what I have gathered, these are the 3 models of wide boots available. Please list others, along with their flex ratings so help compile a list.

Burton Ruler Wide (mid flex, 6/10, 3E width)
Salomon Dialogue Wide (mid flex, 6/10, EE?)
Salomon Synapse Wide (stiff flex, 8/10, EE?)

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Copied from.my post in Wireds thread just now;

My foot is 27.8 long and 10.7 wide, which firmly makes me a 10E. I wore regular 10 Rulers for a season which after some modding fit nice and snug, but some days I'd still get uncomfortable pressure down my little toe and that side of the boot. Now in size 10 K2 T1s, no issue with width, and they immediately felt more comfortable in store than my Rulers when I first got them.

I've got 4-5 days on the T1s now and after heat molding they're a fantastic fit for my slightly wide foot. I had the Thraxis on in store as well which also felt equally accommodating width wise. So you could add them to your list as a mid-wide?

K2 T1 - Stiff 8/10 (E)
K2 Thraxis - Stiff 10/10 (E)

Reactions: Winter_Lion

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I ended up in the Ruler Wides after sending this to WS:

I re-measured and still have 26.67cm for my right foot, 27.62cm for my left foot, and they are both 10.795cm across the widest point.

Not only wide, but a full cm different right to left. Awesome.:facepalm3:
Started in a 10.5 Faction, rode last year in a 10 Maysis, now i have a 9 Ruler Wide. Pretty pumped to not have my feet fall asleep from having the boa over-tightened.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

My foot is 27.8 long and 10.7 wide, which firmly makes me a 10E. I wore regular 10 Rulers for a season which after some modding fit nice and snug, but some days I'd still get uncomfortable pressure down my little toe and that side of the boot. Now in size 10 K2 T1s, no issue with width, and they immediately felt more comfortable in store than my Rulers when I first got them.

I've got 4-5 days on the T1s now and after heat molding they're a fantastic fit for my slightly wide foot. I had the Thraxis on in store as well which also felt equally accommodating width wise. So you could add them to your list as a mid-wide?

K2 T1 - Stiff 8/10 (E)
Thanks for adding those boots to the list. I have EEE+ wide feet, so those "mid-wide" options might help some people for sure.

Thank you for adding more boot options!

I ended up in the Ruler Wides after sending this to WS:

I re-measured and still have 26.67cm for my right foot, 27.62cm for my left foot, and they are both 10.795cm across the widest point.

Not only wide, but a full cm different right to left. Awesome.:facepalm3:
Started in a 10.5 Faction, rode last year in a 10 Maysis, now i have a 9 Ruler Wide. Pretty pumped to not have my feet fall asleep from having the boa over-tightened.
You're one of the reasons I started this thread. Crazy how much we had to size down. Stoked that we both have perfectly fitting boots now, but I just wish we had more options to choose from. I would definitely choose to get a stiffer boot if my foot could fit into it properly.

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Thanks for adding those boots to the list. I have EEE+ wide feet, so those "mid-wide" options might help some people for sure.

Thank you for adding more boot options!
I'm not sure if they actually are made as an E, but they certainly felt more accommodating width wise than other size 10s I've tried. Mostly Burton and Ride boots.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure if they actually are made as an E, but they certainly felt more accommodating width wise than other size 10s I've tried. Mostly Burton and Ride boots.
Okay, I'll change it accordingly.

What I'm really looking for, are boots that are advertised/marketed as wide snowboard boots.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Well I did post in the other thread but nobody seemed to listen lol.
I tried the ruler wides but found the Ride Lasso to fit much more comfortably and it is a far superior boot. BOA heel lock rules.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I did post in the other thread but nobody seemed to listen lol.
I tried the ruler wides but found the Ride Lasso to fit much more comfortably and it is a far superior boot. BOA heel lock rules.
are those marketed as wide? also, what is the width of your feet?

·
Premium Member
5,671 Posts

K2 T1 - Stiff 8/10 (E)

Hi Phedder,

Please check what mondo size is printed inside your new K2 size 10 boots. Is it 280 or 275? Also please let me know what year they are.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
are those marketed as wide? also, what is the width of your feet?
275mm long
110mm wide with a straight big toe. The straight big toe has a big effect on boot fit, boots like thirtytwos have a really curved big toe area so they hurt like shit for me.

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Hi Phedder,

Please check what mondo size is printed inside your new K2 size 10 boots. Is it 280 or 275? Also please let me know what year they are.
280 and 2015.

·
Premium Member
5,671 Posts
280 and 2015.
Thanks. That is the anticipated conversion from mondo.

The size chart on the K2 site shows some odd conversions. My thought was that it was just an web input error but thank you for confirming that.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. That is the anticipated conversion from mondo.

The size chart on the K2 site shows some odd conversions. My thought was that it was just an web input error but thank you for confirming that.
Do you happen to know if there are other wide model boots on the market other than the Burton Ruler and Salomon Dialogue/Synapse you mentioned previously? I ask because I want to get a list compiled of all advertised wide boots currently available.

·
Premium Member
5,671 Posts
Do you happen to know if there are other wide model boots on the market other than the Burton Ruler and Salomon Dialogue/Synapse you mentioned previously? I ask because I want to get a list compiled of all advertised wide boots currently available.
Hi Matty,

It is just those for the time being.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I wear a size 10.5 US boot with a foot width of 4 & 5/8". I have Salomon Synapse Wide boots and they are fantastic. I will need new boots after this season and I plan to buy the same thing.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wear a size 10.5 US boot with a foot width of 4 & 5/8". I have Salomon Synapse Wide boots and they are fantastic. I will need new boots after this season and I plan to buy the same thing.
is that the only wide model boot you've tried? just curious if you have feedback on other wide boots.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Used to wear 9.5's, now have a pair of 8.5 wide Salomon Dialogue's. They fit great. Very comfortable. Can't wait to ride in them. Would love to see more options for wide feet. Varying stiffness's for one. The only 3 options right now are two pair of 6/10 stiffness (Burton and Salomon) and one pair of 7/10 (Salomon)... Would be nice to see some softer park boots and stiffer charging boots. Would also be cool if there were some double boa wide boots out there.
Can't wait for this season to start :jumping1: :snowboard1:

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Holy shit about time snowboard boot manufacturers started taking wide feet into consideration. Personally Northwave boots have fit me really well over the last decade and a half, any other boots I bought ended up ruining my day.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Holy shit about time snowboard boot manufacturers started taking wide feet into consideration. Personally Northwave boots have fit me really well over the last decade and a half, any other boots I bought ended up ruining my day.
Boot manufacturers haven't really taken wide feet into consideration at all.

There are only 3 boots on the market between two manufacturers that are marketed and advertised as wide snowboard boots.

The point of this thread is to help bring awareness to manufacturers regarding a desperate need for more wide snowboard boot options. :)

With that said, what is your boot size? And what is the width of your feet?

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
With that said, what is your boot size? And what is the width of your feet?
10.5 EEE, found that out at a place that sized up some work boots for me, crazy how nice a good fitting boot with the proper arch support feels. Usually have to size up to an 11 with snowboard boots.

1 - 20 of 1356 Posts