Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1441 - 1460 of 1506 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
He later said you measured wrong and it's actually an 8.5
I agree with the wrong measurement though, you shouldn't try to make it smaller, you want the maximum number you can get. No pressing the heel, no lifting the arch, fully weighted, knee bent slightly.
I can tell you that the size 8.5 thirty two tm2's I had were too big. The size 8 thirty two TM3's are better but still have too much volume in the heel/calf area for me. I used to have a burton ruler in a size 8.5 that felt way too small. My toes would actually stick out of the liner of that boot. Truth be told, I don't think I ever tried better insoles in the ruler's which might have really helped, but this was a couple of years ago when I didn't really know much.

His instructions were to kick your heels back. When I kicked them back, that's what I got re: size 8.
I think I tried a size 7.5 TM2 and that felt awful. Maybe a size 8 TM2 would have felt better than the TM3 due to the liner.

I have a set of size 8 thraxis right now to try on, but I think I'm going to have an issue with the boa reel digging into my ankles. If that does happen, i'm going to just order a set of ride lassos. If memory serves, I had tried on a size 8 last year sometime and liked it. I can get a set for a decent price. I guess it's the only known quantity at this time.

·
Banned
124 Posts
What you said about the Ruler's liner is interesting because all my Burton liners also got shorter over time. The Life liners in my Ion's curled up rather than getting short but they have a midsole made of a different material so that explains it. I guess the liner foam they use shrinks.

If you're keeping Thraxis please keep us updated on the boa reel digging in. I always thought it could've resolved itself over time, but I returned them because it gave me straight up pain walking around the house.

·
Banned
124 Posts
I can tell you that the size 8.5 thirty two tm2's I had were too big. The size 8 thirty two TM3's are better but still have too much volume in the heel/calf area for me. I used to have a burton ruler in a size 8.5 that felt way too small. My toes would actually stick out of the liner of that boot. Truth be told, I don't think I ever tried better insoles in the ruler's which might have really helped, but this was a couple of years ago when I didn't really know much.

His instructions were to kick your heels back. When I kicked them back, that's what I got re: size 8.
I think I tried a size 7.5 TM2 and that felt awful. Maybe a size 8 TM2 would have felt better than the TM3 due to the liner.

I have a set of size 8 thraxis right now to try on, but I think I'm going to have an issue with the boa reel digging into my ankles. If that does happen, i'm going to just order a set of ride lassos. If memory serves, I had tried on a size 8 last year sometime and liked it. I can get a set for a decent price. I guess it's the only known quantity at this time.
Your comment on the other thread about purposefully keeping the toes bent, that's a subtle one to catch.. You mentioned being used to tight fitting footwear because you used to cycle, I come from a similar background, used to hockey. I wonder why would you need such a fit for cycling? I never did it competitively and there's obviously a different dynamic going on here than my mellow cruises downtown.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Did your shoes attach to the pedals or something?
Yes, cycling shoes with cleats attaching them to the pedals. Allows for an element of pulling up on the pedals as well from 6-9 o'clock in the pedal stroke. I actually just got double boa cycling shoes I need to try out. After trying to downsize a lot of snowboarding shoes I ended up sizing down in these to a 41 (last pair was a 42) and I think I might regret it. 😂😂😂

My old shoes were nikes that feel like i'm swimming in them in comparison.

And for the record, my dress shoes are all 8/8.5. My sneakers are also all 8/8.5. I used to wear oversized skateboarding shoes but that was back in high school and even those were maybe 9/9.5 (but probably 9's). I've never been someone that wears oversized casual footwear so I was very confused as to why everyone was telling me to size down 2 full sizes after finding out that I wore size 8.5 sneakers... It's like... no. There is zero chance I'm fitting into a size 6.5/7 snowboard boot. I think with some modifications I could MAYBE fit a 7.5 but there's really no reason for me to force the downsize. I'm 5'10 and 160-165 ish and medium bindings with size 8 boots don't really have any huge risk of drag so there's really no reason to force things.

·
Banned
124 Posts
Same rule of thumb for hockey skates, 1 to 2 sizes down, but I do wear oversized street shoes so 2 sizes worked perfectly fine for me. I wonder why we don't hear the same for snowboarding though, the dynamics are very similar. Had to go through many pairs to realize that, recommendations are all over the place. Started with street shoe size, then lightly graze, then Mondopoint. None of them worked so I started measuring the shells.

There is a serious disinformation campaign going on here and it all comes from institutions with financial interest in the subject. Could be the lack of competitive action in this category, soft boot snowboarding is treated more like a hobby than a sport.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
It depends on the liner. Liner width is more important when you have something like the TM3 liner which has way more structure than a traditional softboot liner.

·
Registered
206 Posts
They reserve the best heel hold for their top $$ boots. It's actually zero additional cost for them to give all the same, but they don't think you deserve it if you're not willing to pay for it. Craft eva foam sheets are great for cutting out butterfly wraps, use as many layers as you need.
Yeah, which is super annoying. And another thing that should be normalized is just buying liners instead of new boots. Most of the time you need new boots because you really just need new liners. 32's top of the line liner is $180, which is expensive but still better than a $400 boot that's likely undamaged. Wish Vans sold their liners separately too.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Yeah, which is super annoying. And another thing that should be normalized is just buying liners instead of new boots. Most of the time you need new boots because you really just need new liners. 32's top of the line liner is $180, which is expensive but still better than a $400 boot that's likely undamaged. Wish Vans sold their liners separately too.
Is actually not that much more to find 32 boots with that liner on closeouts. But I totally get what you're saying.

I think aftermarket liners are directly available from brands like intuition as well.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Is actually not that much more to find 32 boots with that liner on closeouts. But I totally get what you're saying.

I think aftermarket liners are directly available from brands like intuition as well.
Yeah and that kind of adds to the point that it's stupidly expensive. Intuition liners separately are also different from 32's elite version.

·
Banned
124 Posts
I find the shells too break down quickly. Not to the point of being unfunctional but, I tend to replace the boots when they soften up on me. You made me think if I could/should try a hard boot setup. While googling around on it, found an interesting article published last year, it really is an interesting read.

Soft Sells: How Snowboard Boots Got Stuck in the Past

This one paragraph I found particularly interesting so I'll quote it here;

“Snowboard boots had revolutionary design updates that happened more than a decade ago and since then, they’ve kind of stopped evolving,” says Michael Fox, a longtime snowboard boot developer who’s worked for K2, Burton, Rome, ThirtyTwo, DC and most recently Adidas. “Burton redesigned their boot last in 2001/2002. That last is still the benchmark for the current snowboard boot fit today. I’ve seen other boot categories like ski, mountaineering, alpine touring, and even running shoes, that have really advanced their fit and moved in a new direction. Snowboarding has not. The fit of snowboarding boots has not evolved beyond what we created in 2002.”
“It’s just a knockoff sneaker,” he laments. “The truth is nobody has recreated the whole structure from scratch from a pure snowboarding standpoint.”

This guy is practically saying "We designed the Burton last in 2002 and it hasn't seen an update ever since. We designed it over a sneaker last"

This definitely proves my point again, snowboard boots are not following Mondopoint standard, they're designed around US sizing.
@Wiredsport is feeding you all with a spoon 24/7 while he enjoys the increasing sales numbers in his online shop.
WAKE UP!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks to @Wiredsport for taking time to help people learn about their feet and get fitted, and provide a lot of insights that people in actual shops can't do. It's nice to have access to someone with so much professional experience share their time, especially since very few who get help from Wired are buying from their store.

It sucks watching someone smart and capable attempt to have a dialogue with someone who clearly just wants to yell and bully and exhibits general clownish behavior. Having someone question your personal and professional integrity is shitty, and this board is typically way better than that.

Hopefully new dude takes a time out to reflect on their actions and get a better handle on socializing, and can rejoin the group when they are ready to participate in a more positive/constructive manner.

STOKED!

·
Banned
124 Posts
Maybe he's not a bad person, just too proud to admit that he might have been wrong...
I still suspect there is a financial motivation behind this whole thing.
He's here all day everyday, posting the same baseless advice over and over.
It's his day job.

·
Banned
124 Posts
...especially since very few who get help from Wired are buying from their store...
You know, you shouldn't underestimate that "very few" because marketing is all about reaching those "very few" people.

Brick and mortar stores pay huge amounts every year for online advertisements, rent and salaries... What he's doing here is just him and his laptop.

If it's working half as good (hell even 10% as good) it is a great return for him..

·
Premium Member
5,776 Posts
FWIW, we have a wonderful staff that has been with us for years. They are all riders and we consider them family. We do not sell any wide boots, so every sale that could have been generated by my participation in this thread has gone elsewhere.

STOKED!

·
Registered
35 Posts
@Wiredsport I was told to post here by @WigMar after he was helping me decide on a board. My name is Jelly, this is my first day here, and I suffer from wide foot. I've always worn what the rental shops provided which has been Burtons since day 1 mainly BOA and laces. Last season, I suffered a horrible experience with a size 10 that was just ramming my toe hard all day. After switching to a 10.5 the pain subsided and I could feel my toe near the top of my boot but it wasn't feeling any need to bend in to make room or feeling hampered by my desire to bend it within my shoes. However, the Mondo system on the Burton site says I should be wearing a 9.5, it doesn't mention anything about foot width and I'm at a 10.66cm foot width at 27.5cm on my left foot and 27.3cm on my right...that's no joke. I will need something that will work with the board attached below in a 157W. Step ons aren't a necessity for me but I'm open to the idea since my bindings aren't finalized yet. I was leaning towards cartels cause I like that I have to bend over and strap in. Snowboarding is an exercise as much as it is fun to me so stepping in seems kind of like a lazy route for me, especially cause i'm not flexible but after a day of boarding I'm a gymnast and I think it's in part due to all that stretching to my toes.

My riding style is pretty much S'ing down the mountain at a high speed but not insanely so. I would say i'm on the beginner side of intermediate. No jumps or anything yet.

·
Premium Member
5,776 Posts
Hi Jelly 27.5 cm is Mondopoint 275 or size 9.5 US in snowboard boots. 10.66 cm is an EE width which does require specific wide boots. Burton does their Wide models at EEE width which is going to work well for your feet. The Ruler Wide and Photon Wide are both great choices. The Wide step on boots might also work but it should be noted that some riders find that those have some fit quirks that are unique to the design of step on boots.

If the assistance provided has been helpful to you, your positive reviews on either of the sites below (or both) would be greatly appreciated. STOKED!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Posting on this thread just to agree with the assertions that these attacks on @Wiredsport are wholly unnecessary. I've been on a three year journey, even with measuring and advice. Turns out, the measurements that I was taking were a bit skewed somehow, finally enlisted my Fiance's help to take my measurements and it turns out that while i started out buying boots that were too large, i've now been buying boots too small! My larger foot (with morton's toe) measures at like 27.2cm/9.6cm and I think I've finally found some boot happiness :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Jelly 27.5 cm is Mondopoint 275 or size 9.5 US in snowboard boots. 10.66 cm is an EE width which does require specific wide boots. Burton does their Wide models at EEE width which is going to work well for your feet. The Ruler Wide and Photon Wide are both great choices. The Wide step on boots might also work but it should be noted that some riders find that those have some fit quirks that are unique to the design of step on boots.

If the assistance provided has been helpful to you, your positive reviews on either of the sites below (or both) would be greatly appreciated. STOKED!

I remeasured my foot using a piece of paper like I saw others do here it turns out my left foot is 27.75 and right is 27.5 so I think i'm going to go with the 10 size US Burton Wide Ruler non step on, any suggestion on bindings? Also I left you a review for your help. Thanks again!

1441 - 1460 of 1506 Posts