Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1641 - 1643 of 1643 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,641 ·
Happy Thanksgiving Amerishredders! Hope you all get to enjoy the day how you choose!

I’m definitely thankful for the sport of snowboarding. I’m also thankful that boot manufacturers are listening to our calls and giving us more wide options.

Hopefully the snow gods are kind to us this season!

Shred kindness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yep, after some research; Women’s Wide and Photon Wides (both Step On and regulars) share the same shell as the normal width boots and have a liner from which burton has replaced the foam on the side of the boot with a piece of neoprene. This makes thins the liner at the sides making the boot feel slightly wider. On the other end, it adds extra stitching, most likely contributing to the pressure points some describe in the wide boots.

The other men’s wides (Ion, Ruler, etc) are made on wide lasts and thus have a wider boot shell.

Bottom line is, if you have a very wide foot, don’t go for photons…!
I bought Photon Wides two seasons ago for the very reason that I was having problems with other boots. Was having to upsize to size 14US in order to get the width, however, Photon Wide size 11US fit me perfectly (my feet EE width and Burton wides are EEE I believe). At the time, I was under the impression that Burton Wides actually had different shell widths to regular, including Photon, and certainly my personal experience corroborates that. I fully intend on probably only buying Photon Wides from now on to be honest. Hopefully will be able to get the speedzone instead of boa next time if they make them available.

1641 - 1643 of 1643 Posts