Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1641 - 1660 of 1660 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,641 ·
Happy Thanksgiving Amerishredders! Hope you all get to enjoy the day how you choose!

I’m definitely thankful for the sport of snowboarding. I’m also thankful that boot manufacturers are listening to our calls and giving us more wide options.

Hopefully the snow gods are kind to us this season!

Shred kindness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
Checked with Burton. Their women's wide boots are not real wide boots, they simply put thiner liners inside!
Woman's 8.5 is a men's 7.5, but they only seem to have 7 and 8 in Photon wide. Maybe you could go try the men's boots on instead? They sound like they're better overall, proper shell, etc.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yep, after some research; Women’s Wide and Photon Wides (both Step On and regulars) share the same shell as the normal width boots and have a liner from which burton has replaced the foam on the side of the boot with a piece of neoprene. This makes thins the liner at the sides making the boot feel slightly wider. On the other end, it adds extra stitching, most likely contributing to the pressure points some describe in the wide boots.

The other men’s wides (Ion, Ruler, etc) are made on wide lasts and thus have a wider boot shell.

Bottom line is, if you have a very wide foot, don’t go for photons…!
I bought Photon Wides two seasons ago for the very reason that I was having problems with other boots. Was having to upsize to size 14US in order to get the width, however, Photon Wide size 11US fit me perfectly (my feet EE width and Burton wides are EEE I believe). At the time, I was under the impression that Burton Wides actually had different shell widths to regular, including Photon, and certainly my personal experience corroborates that. I fully intend on probably only buying Photon Wides from now on to be honest. Hopefully will be able to get the speedzone instead of boa next time if they make them available.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Excited to see new options this year. After three seasons on Burton Ruler Wide - I went with the adidas Acerras. I am 264 with 108 width and went with size 81/2.

Thanks to @Wiredsport who first put me on the right pair of boots about 4 yrs ago and everyone who participates in the forum.
Five days thus far on the new Adidas Acerras - nothing huge and all around 2 hr tours on the splitboard. Overall very happy and excited to wear them for some resort days.

1. Noticably stiffer then than the Burtons. I backed off cranking down on the upper boa for now.
2. Boa's take a min to get used to. I like them...but...yeagh not 100% sure.
3. Undersole is slippery AF walking in the parking lot (ice)
4. Fit great and true to size (mondo)

Cheers

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,645 ·
Five days thus far on the new Adidas Acerras - nothing huge and all around 2 hr tours on the splitboard. Overall very happy and excited to wear them for some resort days.

1. Noticably stiffer then than the Burtons. I backed off cranking down on the upper boa for now.
2. Boa's take a min to get used to. I like them...but...yeagh not 100% sure.
3. Undersole is slippery AF walking in the parking lot (ice)
4. Fit great and true to size (mondo)

Cheers
Good call-out on the Adidas being slippery. I haven’t had that problem yet, but I will definitely be mindful of that. Thanks for the heads up.

The adidas are so much stiffer than the Burtons. I really like them. Definitely prefer the Speed Lace as well. Not sold on BOA, as convenient as they are. But they’re not bad.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quick update on the Acerras too:

Last year I was on my true mondo size burton photon wide. I can not recommend those, they were unbearably painful and after two weeks of riding the flex is gone completely.

This year I jumped unto the Adidas acerras half a mondo size too big since the smallest they produce is a 26. But even like this they perform so much better and I don't have to think about my boots at all while riding. I think thats how boots should perform. Also the flex is perfect and the build quality is way better. I will report back after the season on how the flex evolved. I still hope they make a 25.5 again to see if they come even closer to boot perfection with true mondo size!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got it. I appreciate your doing that. You are an E width. This boot will be an excellent fit: Salomon Dialogue dual boa Wide size 12.5 (30.5 mondo).

If the assistance provided has been helpful to you, your positive reviews on either of the sites below (or both) would be greatly appreciated. STOKED!

Wiredsport is rated "Great" with 4.2 / 5 on Trustpilot
Hi @Wiredsport I have a follow up regarding my boots saga. I ordered a pair of Salomon Dialogue Wide 30.5 mondo. I was let down a little by these however. The length and width felt correct but the upper section of the boots gave me horrible calf pain and I didn't like the overall feel and comfort. I was also let down by the footprint of the boot which was larger than my Burton size 13. So I sent them back.
I then read that Adidas also makes wider boots so I ordered a pair of Response 3MC in 31 mondo. They only make 30 and 31 mondo as with most other companies (except Salomon) so I went with 31. I found that Adidas fit me really really well. The width is there and I no longer get any discomfort or numbness during snowboarding. Footprint is also amazigly reduced. I have just one concern. The mondo point bugs me and I'm afraid the boots will pack out to much in the future. Right now they feel like:
  • my big toes touch the front of the boot while standing upright and when I go into my snowboarding stance they rectract so I can barely feel the front (like really barely).
  • when I pull the footbed insert out and stand on it with my bare foot my toes barely overhang the insert (like less than 5 mm).
  • overall they feel comfortable and no pressure points but I don't particularly like the boa. I feel like traditional laces are the way to go for me.

So my dilemma now is this. I feel like I could squeeze my feet in 30 mondo of Adidas boots and with heat molding they would fit. Can't really be sure though... I know you advised against 30 mondo but is there really no way I could make it work? I have a chance to get my hands on Adidas Tactical Lexicon in 30 mondo now so I'm thinking I should at least try it. I can't try them on in a store but can order online and return.
Like I said most companies don't offer 30.5 mondo and Salomon is now out of the question for me. It makes me sad as I feel Adidas in 30.5 would be just perfect.
If you have any thoughts on that I would greatly appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
Hi OneRound,

I have written this before but you really need to discard all sizing with Adidas. Their boots are not labeled as Wide, but fit like EEEE width in some sizes and standard D in other sizes. The same is true of length. We don't suggest the boots. This is not because of quality but simply a sizing system that does not allow accurate suggestion. What you are describing is a boot which is/will become too loose but sadly the next size down in Adidas may have an entirely different fit.

STOKED!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi OneRound,

I have written this before but you really need to discard all sizing with Adidas. Their boots are not labeled as Wide, but fit like EEEE width in some sizes and standard D in other sizes. The same is true of length. We don't suggest the boots. This is not because of quality but simply a sizing system that does not allow accurate suggestion. What you are describing is a boot which is/will become too loose but sadly the next size down in Adidas may have an entirely different fit.

STOKED!
Got it. Thanks! So I guess nothing else to do but order and try on. I can return them for free so no real damage there.
Are there any other boots thay you could recommend apart from Salomons? And regarding 30 mondo, is there any possibility I could get it to pack out half a size? Or does the boot pack out only in width?
Thanks again! My quest for perfect boots continues and will let you know if/when I find the right solution.

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
Hi,

If you are referring to the Adidas Mondo 30, as above, I would not consider any Adidas sizing to be accurate. Boots respond well to heat fit only when correctly sized. Heat fit and pack out happen in all dimensions. Many Adidas sizes will be far too wide for your feet but this is also unpredictable. In most sizes (but not all) the Adidas boots are much wider and moderately longer than convention.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,651 ·
Hi,

If you are referring to the Adidas Mondo 30, as above, I would not consider any Adidas sizing to be accurate. Boots respond well to heat fit only when correctly sized. Heat fit and pack out happen in all dimensions. Many Adidas sizes will be far too wide for your feet but this is also unpredictable. In most sizes (but not all) the Adidas boots are much wider and moderately longer than convention.
This is bizarre. Had no idea Adidas’ quality control would be like that considering how well the boots feel to me. They definitely feel premium. It’s weird that the sizings are so out of whack even for the same model. How does that even happen in the manufacturing process? I would assume they have to use a sizing template for their boots.

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
Hi Matty,

I don't think that this is related to quality control. It seems that they have made some outlier choices in terms of sizing. It seems very inconsistent even between one Adidas model and another in the same listed size.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Nobody says anything specifically, but when I've asked at several local shops about Adidas boots I get the "fuck off Adidas" look from the employees. Not sure what that's about, but it's happened several times at several different shops.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

Hi!

So I wanted to update. I recieved the Adidas Tactical Lexicon in mondo 30 and I have to say they feel like they fit me perfectly. They definitely feel like half a size larger which is perfect for my 30.5 mondo. The width seems spot on also. I will heat mold them and test them at home some more and then we'll see. But so far looking great. Best boots I've had on my feet so far.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Hi!

So I wanted to update. I recieved the Adidas Tactical Lexicon in mondo 30 and I have to say they feel like they fit me perfectly. They definitely feel like half a size larger which is perfect for my 30.5 mondo. The width seems spot on also. I will heat mold them and test them at home some more and then we'll see. But so far looking great. Best boots I've had on my feet so far.
You might try Nitro too, I've got E width feet and they are the best fitting boots I've found. Hopefully the Adidas work out for you though, and you don't have to worry about it! I'd like to try some out, but like I said above...

·
Registered
10 Posts
You might try Nitro too, I've got E width feet and they are the best fitting boots I've found. Hopefully the Adidas work out for you though, and you don't have to worry about it! I'd like to try some out, but like I said above...

How are Nitro regarding reduced footprint? That's a very important factor for me and these Adidas tactical are now a full 2 cm shorter than my Burton SLX in size 13.
Obviously I have to try Tacticals on snow but so far they're looking great. I've already ridden Response 3 times and they are a great boot but sadly I bought to large. If I bought the Response in 12 I'd probably be done already.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
How are Nitro regarding reduced footprint? That's a very important factor for me and these Adidas tactical are now a full 2 cm shorter than my Burton SLX in size 13.
Obviously I have to try Tacticals on snow but so far they're looking great. I've already ridden Response 3 times and they are a great boot but sadly I bought to large. If I bought the Response in 12 I'd probably be done already.
Footprint is small on them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice! Where did you find this information? Unfortunately I got the Photons which I can't recommend.. But at least now I know the ions are the way to go...

They redesigned the Photon this year, do you think they still don't have a wide last with the new model?
Sorry for the delay in answering this. I spent way too much time at the store checking and taking the liner out of every single boot model... also asked a few different Burton people with annoying insistance when the answer didn't seem to jive with what I had found out...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought Photon Wides two seasons ago for the very reason that I was having problems with other boots. Was having to upsize to size 14US in order to get the width, however, Photon Wide size 11US fit me perfectly (my feet EE width and Burton wides are EEE I believe). At the time, I was under the impression that Burton Wides actually had different shell widths to regular, including Photon, and certainly my personal experience corroborates that. I fully intend on probably only buying Photon Wides from now on to be honest. Hopefully will be able to get the speedzone instead of boa next time if they make them available.
As always with boots, your mileage may vary. This being said, burton boots are wide to begin with (E/EE) and so, if you get their Photon Wides, you start with a E/EE boot shell and add a liner that's been shaved at the toe box. Depending on the shape of your foot, that may or may not do it for you. It definitely did not do it for my wife or myself. We ended up getting her a pair of rulers (J-Bars in other burton Boots where too agressive for her) and I got myself a pair of SLX (not step on) which I find to be on the narrow side but I can deal with it. I probably should have taken the Ion Wides but they seem to be rarer than unobtainium.

Glad you like the photons though!

1641 - 1660 of 1660 Posts