Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Apologies first, this must be a tiring thread topic! Basically I’m fairly new freestyle rider who wants to take his freestyle from the park to the mountains. I weigh 175 lbs (but am fairly keen to weigh less!) and am 5ft 10, with US 10.5 feet. I learned on a downsized lib tech skate banana 154, which I understand is tiny for my weight, but presses and ollies on it are really fun and I love how MTX lets me not worry so much about what’s under my board.

So the question is, what all mountain freestyle boards should I try out and what size ought I get for all mountain? Not too worried about budget.

I’m not stuck on Lib Tech, but I do love the playfulness of my skate banana (and cool graphics on lib stuff is a bonus). From doing a little reading on here I see the Neversummer Evo gets rave reviews and has a tech to help the edges stick on ice. The Lib tech TRS and Attack Banana are also options, but I’ve heard they’re not exactly playful boards. I did also look at the Jones - Mountain Twin, but I think reverse camber between the feet would suit me more given I learned on a noodle banana.

Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Updated 'To Try' list so far:

Neversummer SL
Neversummer Evo (if I can get over how much I hate the graphics)
Lib Attack Banana
Bataleon Evil Twin
Yes - Basic
Signal - Omni

I'm looking for a board that's fairly forgiving though, so the SL could be pushing it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The TRS is an awesome all mountain stick but yeah, it's quite stiff. The Neversummer SL/Proto CT, GNU Riders Choice or Skate Banana are all excellent options and very playful all mountains :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, 2 different size skate bananas would be overkill ;)

Reckon I ought to test ride the riders choice and the SL. I'd not considered the Proto CT, but reading up it sounds pretty perfect for what I want. Worth a try!

Don't rate the attack banana much?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help, I reckon I'll pick whichever doesn't kick my ass when I test them! :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've pretty much decided on the NS proto. What size do I need? :)

Weight: 175lbs
Feet: 10.5
Riding style: little of everything, groomers, small natural features, will be going to try POW next season with my friends, working on butters.
Level: Beginner-ish

·
Registered
40 Posts
Evil Twins are fantastic fun. Although to be honest I only went Bataleon because Never Summer was over twice the price.

·
Registered
97 Posts
157cm Proto Ct should do the trick. If you buy the 154cm, Powder days will be hard work and you will leave yourself no room to progress on your board.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
157 it is, thanks. I did think that would be best, just got confused with people saying to ride them short :)

I'm in Europe so wont be able to buy that ET. Cool board, though no idea what they were thinking with the 2013 graphics.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i think you could have gone even with a 154cm on the proto...im 6'4'' and 210 pounds and 160ct was all the board that i needed...after a few trips to the mnt im wonderign should i have gone with a 157 ct or 158 ctx,my boot size is 11.5 but def a great board for all mountain fun

1 - 12 of 12 Posts