Male
Length: 5’9 (1.76 m)
Weight: 148 lbs. (67 kg)
Shoe-size: 7.5 US (40.5 EU)

What I do:
Jib and jump natural stuff all over the mountain: 70%
Carving: 25%
Jump small & medium kickers in the park: 5%
Pow and tree runs: a lot, when conditions allow. That means some holidays not at all :-(

Besides the above I do about 20 days a year of indoor playing (including a lot of small and medium kicker jumps).

What I DON’T do:
Hitting rails
Breaking speed records

My level:
Intermediate

Locations:
European alps and indoor

Board I am riding now:
DC Tone 153 cm

Board I am looking for:
Playful, medium to medium/soft flex, still carveable and stable enough to land medium kickers.

Last week I’ve tried the Gnu Pickle 153 in an indoor hall. I was very enthusiastic about this board and whatever some of you say; magne-traction really makes a difference. This board would really do it for me outdoors, except for it’s width (25.2 cm).

My problem is that most boards are too wide for my feet. This is annoying when I need to be on the edge of the board a lot, e.g. a (medium) steep hill that runs down to one side (I hope you understand what I mean). In situations like this a lot of muscle tension in the lower legs is needed. This is very uncomfortable and painful.

My idea is: let’s find a (women’s) board that is a bit stiffer than I want and just buy it in a short version, so that my weight and the length of the board will compensate for the stiffness. Until now I have found one board that may do the job:

lib tech TRS 148 Narrow, width 23.7 cm.

the skate banana 145 Narrow has a width of 23.9, but I think this board will be too soft.

I have only named Mervin boards, but that is because I haven’t seen other brands with narrow sizes without it being a dedicated women’s board.

So my questions are:
-Does anyone with the same problem as I have, have any suggestions? What board?
-If you have ridden the TRS: What do you think of my solution? Would the TRS 148N hold my weight? Would it wash out in a carve? Would it still float in the pow? Etc…

Thanks in advance,
Sjaak

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would go with the TRS narrow. I'd go 151 if you want more all mt and les park specific.
Thanks.
I have thought about it, but the 151N is 24.7 cm wide. That is 1 cm wider than the 148N and only 4 mm's narrower than my DC Tone. Therefore, it may not solve my problem.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thanks.
I have thought about it, but the 151N is 24.7 cm wide. That is 1 cm wider than the 148N and only 4 mm's narrower than my DC Tone. Therefore, it may not solve my problem.
I would go with the 151N as bseracka said. This problem that you describe, to me it sounds more like a technique issue as opposed to a board issue. While a board that is wider than necessary is a little slower edge to edge, it should not be causing you pain or be as difficult to keep on edge as you describe, that sounds to me like something you are doing wrong in your technique. Just my view on the matter.

And lets think about this, you are talking about centimeters and millimeters of difference. Not a huge difference in widths there that will impact performance in any drastic way.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Bparmz

Thanks for your input.
I will not debate my skills, but I don't believe it's a matter of technique. Just imagine yourself on an ironing-board on a steep mountain, just trying to keep it on one edge. That takes a lot of effort, simply because there is no overhang of your feet.

The amount of overhang is important. I agree that talking about millimeters is not very useful, that's why I wonder whether a 151N would make any difference to my 4 mm's wider DC Tone. The difference between the 148N and my DC is 1.4 cm. I think that is really substantial.

(lecture about overhang: Snowboard Fit Tips Part One)

·
Registered
226 Posts
@Bparmz

Thanks for your input.
I will not debate my skills, but I don't believe it's a matter of technique. Just imagine yourself on an ironing-board on a steep mountain, just trying to keep it on one edge. That takes a lot of effort, simply because there is no overhang of your feet.

The amount of overhang is important. I agree that talking about millimeters is not very useful, that's why I wonder whether a 151N would make any difference to my 4 mm's wider DC Tone. The difference between the 148N and my DC is 1.4 cm. I think that is really substantial.

(lecture about overhang: Snowboard Fit Tips Part One)

I completely agree with you that some overhang goes a long way. Also wasn't trying to call out your skills but was just observing and analyzing. Where is the pain that you mentioned occurring? Just wondering.

The 148N waist width would definitely be better for your boot size, no questioning of that on my end. Its the length and what you described you wanted out of the board that may not match perfectly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I completely agree with you that some overhang goes a long way. Also wasn't trying to call out your skills but was just observing and analyzing. Where is the pain that you mentioned occurring?

Its the length and what you described you wanted out of the board that may not match perfectly.
:) Criticism on my skills is no problem as long as it's usefull. The pain is in my lower legs, e.g. my achilles tendin when edging on toe side.

Indeed, I am concerned about a board that may be good for my shoe size, but length and flex would not match my weight and riding preferences. Actualy, that's what this thread is all about.

(excuses for any bad english; I'm Dutch :unsure:)

Thanks again for your reply.

·
Registered
226 Posts
:) Criticism on my skills is no problem as long as it's usefull. The pain is in my lower legs, e.g. my achilles tendin when edging on toe side.

Indeed, I am concerned about a board that may be good for my shoe size, but length and flex would not match my weight and riding preferences. Actualy, that's what this thread is all about.

(excuses for any bad english; I'm Dutch :unsure:)

Thanks again for your reply.
For the board, you will just have to go with what your gut says, there are opportunity costs with each board option that has been discussed.

And further on your pain, it may have something to do with your boots? I know for a fact that when i start to get heel lift in boots due to the boot packing out, or if the boots are too big, it does start to get to my lower legs. Heel lift is bad. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Your snowboard is not the cause of any pain you're experiencing. The 151 fits the type of riding you want to do best. If you're experiencing physical pain start with your boots as was already mentioned; they're likely to big, or broken down. Next look at you're bindings: wrong size, poor cushioning, poor design, or you're over tightening them. Your pain could also be caused by some sort of physical limitation, or abnormality.

You should buy the board and size you want and you should figure out what is causing the pain; otherwise a new deck won't make any difference.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I wear 7.5 and even stuffed my feet once into a 7. And I rode a 25.3cm waist width Arbor Coda with zero problems. Rocker helps with keeping it on edge a little.

When I get pain in my feet from riding the toe edge for a long time, it's due to the heel lift. It is painful.

NS Evo and SL in 150-151 had a decent amount of overhang with 7.5 boots.

Don't get a women's board. Yes TDF is a narrow board. The 150N has a 24.2 waist width.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
@jdang307:

Good reply, thanks. Why do you think I shouldn't get a women's board?
The TDF looks interesting, but it's a true camber. I want something playfull and non-catchy. Did you ride it?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
PM Wrathful if you want to discuss women's boards he's researched it. You can go with a woman's board you'll want a stiffer one. As a man you should be able to out muscle a women's deck, which will make it ride softer; perhaps softer than you want.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
@bseracka

Exactly my idea to go for a stiffer women's board that will give me just the amount of flex I want. It's a risk, but I may have the chance to try before I buy.

Can you tell me where/how to find Wrathful's info? Or how to contact him? I don't realy know how to find my way on this forum :-0

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
@jdang307:

Good reply, thanks. Why do you think I shouldn't get a women's board?
The TDF looks interesting, but it's a true camber. I want something playfull and non-catchy. Did you ride it?
Just a prejudice I have against riding womens boards :laugh: If you find one that fits, go for it.

The TDF I have not ridden. I only mention it since it's made specifically for small feets. If I find one cheap I'll hop on one, one day. It is a more aggressive freestyle deck from reviews I've seen. They say it's based off of the Burton Uninc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts