Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else feel that pipes are being neglected?
Please try to pressure resorts into getting the right equipment and not just pile up some dirt and hope it shapes itself.
Sidehits, banks, quarters and halfpipes can all be made with the same equipment and the right amount of snow, it's not that hard or expensive for all the use it brings.
It's so damn fun, and with the right grooming it's lower consequense than bigjumps and rails.
Everyone is talking about how skiing has taken a big leap forward in technology, and nothing has happened in snowboarding in forever. First of all it's bullshit spread by ski company reps, but it's really just skis catching up enough to make it easier in powder.
While you can still do pipes on skis, snowboards get so much more out of it. I feel the snowboard industry needs a good boost, and pipes would def help.
At least locally, sport shops are being conned and bribed into taking shit snowboard equipment from skicompanies, and it all spirals into noone buying boards from there, and snowboarding is losing out bigtime. Talk to your local shops and show them what's up.
Enough conspiracy already? Seems like a trend.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Pipe has always been my favorite discipline. I remember the days when the first pipe-dragon came along, it changed everything.
The problem for many resorts is that pipes are incredibly high-maintenance. Plus, they're not what the young kids like to ride most of the time. They're "hard" to ride properly and, up north where I live, temperatures mean that they're basically frozen-tacos until march, making them a not so popular feature until that time of the year... that means lots of money into not much use. Built a rail for 100$ and kids will ride it non-stop all winter. Build and maintain a pipe all winter and it won't get much use at all... sad but true.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I want banks!

Also... ski companies? Like Dupraz, Rossignol, Salomon and K2?

At least locally, sport shops are being conned and bribed into taking shit snowboard equipment from skicompanies, and it all spirals into noone buying boards from there, and snowboarding is losing out bigtime. Talk to your local shops and show them what's up.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want banks!

Also... ski companies? Like Dupraz, Rossignol, Salomon and K2?
If I see anything from the likes of Rossignol or K2, it's usually their cheapest boards being sold off as high quality. All the rest is cheap knockoff brands stashed away in a corner, while skis have their top models on display. Need to go to the few boardshops around cities and resorts, because the chains where most ppl buy their gear don't have a real stock of snowboard equipment anymore.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Pipes are never going to explode like other things. For one building a good pipe is actually FAR harder than most people realize and yes equipment really does matter. Then there's maintaining them which is absolutely a full time job on it's own. Hell ever watch event halfpipe? They struggle to maintain them for the events and thats with all the money best equipment and staff. I get you're not saying you need event quality pipes, but even mediocre pipes are a nightmare for creation and upkeep

But MOST importantly: Halfpipe is not ridable for the vast majority of people visiting resorts. Riding a halfpipe is a completely different sport than traditional snowboarding, then you want to talk about people who can actually air out of a hafpipe your talking less than 1% of all snowboarders where as almost anyone whos been riding with some experience can hit small jumps and even small boxes and the like.

Hell I've ridden for 16 years now and taught for a number of years, and done just about everything on a snowboard and I still suck at pipe. It's just an extremely niche thing, and extreme niche combined with constant upkeep doesn't really equate to profitability.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I get some of the arguments, but the rise of the competition level superpipes is where it all collapsed. That is unrideable for most, and suddenly all the local resorts dropped any attempt at making normal minipipes. I'm talking like max 2m transitions, maybe 3m for quarters, and banks and sidehits just need to be some piles of snow of about 1,5 m, that you run past a few times to get a shape. The key is a good pipe machine like; Pipe Designer ZAUGG AG EGGIWIL - mit SWISSNESS punkten., and a general good idea of where there's enough snow and slope, or how to produce/move it. Shaping before each weekend, and maintain the copings manually, rounding them off so it's way less scary.

Once you get it, you'll love it, muscle memory is a wonderful thing, and it's not that hard. Flying 5m over isn't necessary either. The competition stuff follows the same principle, so if someone wants to transfer from mini to super, they already have the basics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts