Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am planning a ski trip to Colorado today and tomorrow for late December. Never been before and I was hoping a few of you could throw a few tips my way......we are fairly new so we need to stick around on the beginner trails, but I really want to go somewhere within 2 hours of Denver, but also someplace that isn't terribly crowded. Night skiing would be awesome too. What would you all recommend? Thank you in advance.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
and isnt crowded:giggle:

if u go with vail passes breck is nice and not very steep, you can ride almost everywhere and not get into anything steep unless you're trying.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Keystone would fit you pretty well since you want night skiing, 2hrs from Denver, and are still a beginner. I have fun when I go there for sure.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
It gets really cold at night the surface gets much harder at Keystone. If you are not use to icy conditions I would be mindful of it. But if thats not an issue, riding Keystone at night is so much fun!

I would suggest Breckenridge, because the green and blue runs are very wide and long. And you can take the bus to ride Keystone at night with the same lift ticket if you didn't get enough riding in that day.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
December is rather early for just about anywhere. Colorado does not get a super deep snow pack in the best of seasons, so it can be pretty thin at that time. Last year December was one of the more snowy months. Over 100" fell, so it was actually decent, but that 100" fell on basically nothing.

Anyway, Loveland, Winterpark, Copper, Keystone, A-Basin, Breckenridge all fit with your two hour from Denver drive time. Vail and Beaver Creek are right at two hours to two and a half depending on where exactly you are leaving from in the metro.

Copper has an excellent area for beginners if they have enough snow to open it.

Loveland would probably be the least crowded at that time.

Breck, Vail, A-Basin, Keystone, Beaver Creek are all on the same pass. So if you buy the Epic, I'd stick with those.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It looks like you're coming from Arizona, so depending on your group size I would look into using Alpine Ski Club. I used them for a Telluride trip last season and it cost me less than the lift tickets alone would have if I had gone without the group.

With that said I agree that December is early for any out of state trips. My trip was the first week in January, and I was disappointed with the quality of snow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts