Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still fairly new so I don't know how to decide which size snowboard to get. I'm 5'5, 140 pounds and size 9 boots. I want an all mountain board that I can take in the park. I'm looking at the Jones Twin Sister. They have it in 146, 149 and 152.

I was told to get a shorter snowboard, like 146. But according to the website, my boots (25 cm) are bigger than the width of the snowboard. Is that a problem? Twin Sister

Thanks in advance! :D

·
The Swiss Miss
7,620 Posts
This won't be a problem. The 146 Twin Sister has a waist with of 24.1cm.
One point is that the binding inserts are not at the waist, but further up/down where the board is a bit wider. Furthermore, you very likely wont ride with 0/0 degree angles (boots at right angles to the boards edge), so your boot won't need the full length.
e.g. my boots are 28cm and my board has a waist with of 25cm and I ride with 0 degree angle on the hind foot - no problem. Rode a narrow 24ish board with the same boots but then with 15 degree angle.

Have fun! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
never summer evo!

not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but im looking into buying a an evo as a park board but am unsure as to what size to get? im 6ft and about 175lb.
also if anyone knows when the evo 4.0 is coming out that would be awesome to?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is my first board and I want to make sure I get the right size! I'm going back and forth between 146 and 149. I know a smaller board is better for park but I'll be using it all over the mountain. Does it really matter? Which size do you think is better? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
This is my first board and I want to make sure I get the right size! I'm going back and forth between 146 and 149. I know a smaller board is better for park but I'll be using it all over the mountain. Does it really matter? Which size do you think is better? :dunno:
149 although you could get away with a 146 especially since you are new.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Any chance you can demo these boards? where you at? at most snowboard shops out here in CO you can pay an up front fee and ride as many boards as you like in a day.

Advice from other people on boards is pretty worthless, you are the expert when it comes to what works.

For what its worth, on the whole the most favoured board for all of my lady students has been either the bnice or bstreet by GNU. I have been amazed by the edge hold on early season ice by those boards even given terrible technique. If your set on the Jones I personally think the 46 would be best for your weight, but try it out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately the store I'm getting the board from doesn't have a demo option. Are you guys suggesting 149 just because of my weight? I'm told longer boards are better for speed. So if I got the 146 will it effect my speed?

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,517 Posts
Haven't read all the replies to your post but thought I'd post this link!

snowboard community forums - Ippy's Snowboard Buying Guide - Page 1

This site gives a VERY good Description of pretty much ALL your board options! Size, profile, tech, New tech, riding style's/needs etc. etc. etc.!!! It can be a bit of information overload if you're unfamiliar with all the tech, but read thru it a few times & you will begin to GET familiar with, and start to understand all the diff. tech!!!

(...never understood why I don't see more people pointing us NooB's to this page! LOTs of good info!!) ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Based on your weight and if it's for all over the mountain I would definitely say to go with the 149, but you'll be fine with either of them, especially if you're still learning (and not going super fast). I learned on a fairly stiff 149 (at the time I was probably just over 100lbs) and it didn't seem too long or anything.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Rideordiechick, I'm about your height and weight. If you can't demo, I'd say go for the 149, it will be a more versatile all mountain board as you progress. Since you're a fairly new rider, you might not notice a big difference between the 146 and 149, and by the time you do, you'll want a new board anyway :laugh:

I guess it also depends on what you want to do in the park.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm currently using an old 150 rental and the last time I used it I actually felt like it wasn't fast enough... I was thinking of getting an all mtn board that I can use in the park and for tricks (Jones Twin Sister) plus a longer, stiffer board when I want to go fast (maybe the Jones Mothership). Something versatile for now would be awesome because I don't want to spend a lot of money at once.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And in the park I do jumps. I don't really care for jails, not yet at least. This is my first season but I've gone several times. I'm more intermediate then beginner now, maybe not beginner at all...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts