Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Please help with adjusting Rome Katana

1094 Views 12 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Demi9OD
Hello again :)

I just got my pair Katanas and I'd very much appreciate any feedback you can share with how to set them up.

I have not touched anything that needs a screwdriver yet. All I tried to do was to centre the straps on my boots.

Does the below look centred to you? I'm not sure about the size of the gap between the strap and the boot where my fingers are in the photo...
Automotive tire Tire Bag Automotive design Bumper
Outdoor shoe Grey Walking shoe Sports gear Camouflage

Next part I'm not sure about is the length of the base plate. My boots are US 11 and the bindings are L\XL. From the photos below, do you think I think to change where base plate of the bindings sits? Does it need to move more forward?
View of the toe box on the left and the heel on the right)
Automotive tire Grey Floor Flooring Automotive design
Finger Outdoor shoe Personal protective equipment Walking shoe Electric blue
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
418 Posts
You're going about this backwards.

1. Loosly mount the bindings with the disk on the board and see where your toe/heel is on the board. Adjust chassis (screws) if necessary.
2. You may want to slide the footbed forward or back, but centred on the bindings & board is the place to start. This is simple.
3. It looks like you might want to lengthen the flip cam so that the ankle strap is more centred on the boot.

That space beside the boot is because you have one of the smaller sized boots in the large sized binding... but it's also just how they designed it with the pivot mount. It doesn't look excessive, but may not feel quite as locked in.

· Registered
126 Posts
#1 Is sort of a by-product of how the Max Pivot system works. The mounting point of the ankle straps protrudes a fair bit outside of the binding and leaves this gap you notice. There's really not way around this. What I have found that helps just a tiny bit, is finding your desire angle and then rotating the pivot 180 degrees so that it brings the mounting point back a bit. But like I said, there's not way around this in my experience.

#2 Its difficult to tell if the boot is indeed centered and you just need to extend the toe ramp. Mount the bindings with boot to the board and it will be easier to tell.

· Registered
76 Posts
The strap looks fine, but I would set it up on the board and have your feet in there to see how centered it is once you are fully set.

Someone needs to make a video on adjusting Cleavers/Katanas. There's so much you can do with them. I would first see how they work on your board with your normal angles to see if you need to move the base/chasse forward or back to center it on the board. Then I'd work on your heal cup to center your boot on the binding. If you want, you can rotate your highback so its parallel to your edge - this is painful because the way the screws are placed under the ankle strap hinge and the wonkie nut. Once you've ridden it, play with the ankle strap hinge to see what gives you the best feel/response.

· Registered
200 Posts
The strap looks fine, but I would set it up on the board and have your feet in there to see how centered it is once you are fully set.

Someone needs to make a video on adjusting Cleavers/Katanas. There's so much you can do with them. I would first see how they work on your board with your normal angles to see if you need to move the base/chasse forward or back to center it on the board. Then I'd work on your heal cup to center your boot on the binding. If you want, you can rotate your highback so its parallel to your edge - this is painful because the way the screws are placed under the ankle strap hinge and the wonkie nut. Once you've ridden it, play with the ankle strap hinge to see what gives you the best feel/response.
Pretty sure Rome themselves made that video. I remember watching it before I bought my Katanas.

· Registered
113 Posts
Hello again :)

I just got my pair Katanas and I'd very much appreciate any feedback you can share with how to set them up.

I have not touched anything that needs a screwdriver yet. All I tried to do was to centre the straps on my boots.

Does the below look centred to you? I'm not sure about the size of the gap between the strap and the boot where my fingers are in the photo...
View attachment 166123 View attachment 166124

Next part I'm not sure about is the length of the base plate. My boots are US 11 and the bindings are L\XL. From the photos below, do you think I think to change where base plate of the bindings sits? Does it need to move more forward?
View of the toe box on the left and the heel on the right)
View attachment 166125 View attachment 166126
Get the screw driver and fiddle with it. Otherwise you’ll stay intimidated/confused by it.
Like others have said, Mount on the board first.

· Registered
250 Posts
You need to mount them, then from the looks of it loosen the heelcup screws and slide it back a notch or two (I’m on the second to last notch in my L/XL Katanas with 10.5 adidas), then center the footpad over your board, then do the straps last.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the likes 😁🥷

last q before hitting the slopes. Do you think I need to adjust the angle of my highbacks to be parallel to the heel edge of the board or just try them in fsctory configuration first? I tend to struggle a bit with initiating my heel edge so if this is something that could help I’m keen to try it out. I’ve set the forward leaning on the first setting as well.
Drinkware Automotive tire Automotive lighting Black Grey

Automotive lighting Luggage and bags Bag Motor vehicle Grey

1 - 13 of 13 Posts