Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right! The largest city in my great home state of Maine has legalized the chronic. It is the first city to do so on the East Coast, and will set up very strong support for the entire state to legalize it in 2016. The measure won by almost 65% I believe.

Smoke that shit

It is important to note that it is still illegal under state law, which city law enforcement still enforce, but I strongly believe this will lower the priority AND set up future support for full, state-wide legalization.

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
:thumbsup::thumbsup: hells to the yea. important step in the shift is getting east coast cities/states.

mark my words: within 3-5 years or less federal prohibition will fall.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
Just got back from the store!

20 years of chronic use and I learned something new today. It makes sense but I never thought of it. In the past I would eat edibles on an empty stomach thinking "minimum dilution" or whatever just like if you want to get drunk quick you do it on an empty stomach. Well THC bonds to fat really well so when consuming an edible, if you pair it with a nice big glass of vitamin d milk....it will intensify and extend the experience. Any fat will suffice but milk is probably the best way especially if you are having something sweet anyway.....

Hooray east coast. Its weird how weed on the streets of any west coast city is a no-brainer but the idea of it in Chicago or NYC is pretty hard to wrap my head around...prohibition is ending.....

Interestingly enough I believe I heard yesterday that Illinois or Indiana became the 13th state to ratify same sex marriage, which if you guys remember Bush had practically succeeded in squashing completely across the nation before he left.

The puritans are losing their grip...finally...and we get to watch....

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
65% public support for legalization in MT, very soon...everyone is watching to see how it goes in WA and CO

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will definitely happen soon. I'm really interested in the taxation side of things. I think it could be a huge source of income for each state, but the Washington method of something like 3 separate 25% taxes sounds crazy.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,459 Posts
Someone I knew did a research paper. Claimed if we legalize and take the 10's or 100's of billions wasted ea. year on war on drugs. The many millions or billions spent on on procecuting and incarcerating drug users, put that money back in the tax coffers.

Then tax it like alchohol, smokes to add that revenue to the govt. teat!.

We could ALL have free heath care and probably still get a tax break.

...not to mention keeping real criminals IN prison and freeing up more police to catch them. Cheap legal drugs would mean less drug related crime and mayhem, reducing all govt. costs associated with dealing with that as well! Seems like a no brainer doesn't it?

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,459 Posts
It failed the first time, so it will be interesting to see how they change it to increase the public approval. I was pretty amazed that WA passed and OR failed.
Oregon and NorCal have a real problem with illegal grows and violence on puplic lands. Idk, but that might have had something to do with it. Even 20 years ago it could be dangerous to get even a little off the beaten path out in the woods of Humboldt & DelNorte Counties in CA.

I got confronted more than once while out carrying my cameras n telephoto lenses. Guess they thought I was out to document grows or sum shit.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have heard many stories of people getting shot at (warning shots I assume) by people tending plants in large, forested parks.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,459 Posts
I have heard many stories of people getting shot at (warning shots I assume) by people tending plants in large, forested parks.
A good buddy of mine from the service, actually came across a trail wired up with Claymore mines! Needless to say he gtf out of there fast. Said if the two of us had been out on that trail, shooting the shit and not paying attention. We'd have been cut in half.

The low tech guys were fond of hanging treble fishooks from trees little lower than eye level. Definitely not the "Peace, Love, Dope" crowd out there growing!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
A good buddy of mine from the service, actually came across a trail wired up with Claymore mines! Needless to say he gtf out of there fast. Said if the two of us had been out on that trail, shooting the shit and not paying attention. We'd have been cut in half.

The low tech guys were fond of hanging treble fishooks from trees little lower than eye level. Definitely not the "Peace, Love, Dope" crowd out there growing!
Big business generally is not.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm totally gonna stop in P-town on the way to the Loaf this year and stock up! I used to live with this kid who ran for a big Munjoy Hill dealer. I am just happy some legit Congress street boutique can put those assholes oit of business. I will totally support a legalized and taxed Maine nug trade.

·
Registered
8,201 Posts
A friend did a position piece, researched that bud has been a very stable commodity price wise for at least the past 10 years. But his analysis is that once businesses, taxes and a centralized money making machine get established the price will likely at least double. And for the most part, folks will not be able to grow their own and thus forced to buy the higher priced bud. Thus again, the issue, is who is making the money...not the nug farmers and the consumers are getting it in the ass again. Verses, yes decriminalize/legalize and let everybody grow their own...and stop wasting money on the fascist police state.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
A friend did a position piece, researched that bud has been a very stable commodity price wise for at least the past 10 years. But his analysis is that once businesses, taxes and a centralized money making machine get established the price will likely at least double. And for the most part, folks will not be able to grow their own and thus forced to buy the higher priced bud. Thus again, the issue, is who is making the money...not the nug farmers and the consumers are getting it in the ass again. Verses, yes decriminalize/legalize and let everybody grow their own...and stop wasting money on the fascist police state.
I think that with the nug "industry," many more people would value local small production growers vs. huge commercial operations. Everyone would boycott Monsanto if they started growing weed... well most everyone.

As for the money... Depending on location, growers are already charging too much, ESPECIALLY for medical purposes. Yes, some practically give it away, and their prices will likely increase, but some are certainly out there for a major profit, charging more than $300 per ounce. No better than commercial companies in my mind. For a relatively low start-up cost, you can make your money back after your first grow or two. Nothing else that you grow will make you as much money. How many tomato plants do you need to make $1000? How many bud plants? Only 1 if you're doing it right.

With that in mind, and the difference in prices based on geography, I think that the average price wouldn't change all that much. It does depend on taxes though. If we are talking about a single, 15% tax, that isn't shit. Where you run into issues is the proposed taxation methods in Washington State, where an ounce is sold for $200 to a retailer with a 25% tax. The retailer now has a $250 ounce, and they need to make a profit. So they up the price to $300. The consumer is charged another 25% tax, so they are paying $375...

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
Prices won't change unless something happens to make growing impossible, which I doubt. If big business tries to get it and jack the price, we will just all go back to the black market. Sort of why the whole medical movement was the groundswell for the issue, the medical side gave it some protection from big business, forcing the legalization and commercialization to take place on a level where Pfizer and friends won't touch it. While this will probably change, it probably won't change before prohibition ends.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts