Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

581 - 600 of 625 Posts

·
The Swiss Miss
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #581 (Edited)
Then there was one small dusting two weeks ago which was enough for me to not feel the crust below; the heavier guys felt it, tho. Riding oversized boards pays off from time to time ;).

The chute entry on fourth pic? Those rocks shouldn't be there this time of year... they should be covered. All those shark fins should be covered... but alas, it's one of those seasons.... snow probably will fall by May, lol.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #582
Hoping the powder gods come your way soon!
Currently, a storm is rolling. Yay. 50cm yesterday, still snowing today. Yay.

But... another warm wave is announced for the weekend and they say it'll rain up to 2000m. Bleh!

·
Registered
204 Posts
From no snow to too much snow? Just seen a link to Meteo France saying high avalanche risk pretty much everywhere.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #584
From no snow to too much snow? Just seen a link to Meteo France saying high avalanche risk pretty much everywhere.
Ah well, that's kind of SOP. There's always high avy risk after a dump over here, as dumps almost exclusively come with strong wind. Give it a day or two to settle and it'll be fine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It’s been lovely and deep today. Sacked off the morning to wait for better visibility, it wasn’t much better in the afternoon except for very brief spells. The wind was pretty extreme though.

ADH is pretty exposed, so since there isn’t too many trees it makes it very difficult to judge anything with the bad visibility. Got myself stuck a couple of times in the powder. The missus got stuck as well and pretty much broke down in tears trying to get out. Was funny for me to watch though 😝. Snow is slowing up a bit now, but more expected tomorrow. Looking forward to getting some clear blue skies again

·
Registered
220 Posts
Avalanche risk 4 today in Villars/Gryon but the good new is that Gryon was completely closed yesterday so the pistes this morning were like off-piste; for an hour!

·
Registered
126 Posts
After 50cm fell yesterday, and amazing blue skies this morning, we’ve had rain this afternoon and this evening at 1800m. Gutting. Had A LOT of fun this morning though, hopefully the rain hasn’t ruined the snow higher up

·
The Swiss Miss
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #588
After 50cm fell yesterday, and amazing blue skies this morning, we’ve had rain this afternoon and this evening at 1800m. Gutting. Had A LOT of fun this morning though, hopefully the rain hasn’t ruined the snow higher up
Glad you ould ride that dump! Was it light? Very envious. I couldn't go :(

Yeah, that warm front rain in the forcast hurts ones soul :cry:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Glad you ould ride that dump! Was it light? Very envious. I couldn't go :(

Yeah, that warm front rain in the forcast hurts ones soul :cry:
It was glorious! I pretty much just did a few loops of the Roche Melon run in Vaujany since barely any other people ride it. 15 mins of lift for 8ish mins of non stop powder and a 5 minute piste back to the lift again. Can only imagine how good a run that would be with repeated dumps. Took a big dink out of my board from a shallow rock, but had too much fun to care.
Went back to ADH in the afternoon and rode the off piste runs down to Huez, but the rain came in quickly and the powder became sticky and rubbish down low. Plus I got stuck in a tree, but that was funny

·
The Swiss Miss
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #590 (Edited)
Interesting day... the 50cm fresh which fell by mid week were blown away and covered by a rain crust, hard in the morning, but slushy qt noon as in spring. Incredibly low snowpack this year. Grass n green at high alpine :(.

But... there were pockets. Nice pockets if you knew where to look for :)

And now the next storm is rolling in... warm with more rain, but by Tuesday, cold should chime in and huge dumps of snow are announced... fingers crossed that winter will happen!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Been eyeing the forthcoming dump with glee at the moment. I'm heading out to Mayrhofen on Friday and it's looking like it's going to chuck it down with snow Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this week. Pretty high winds though and a bit concerned if it does start to warm up and get rain when we get there.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Been eyeing the forthcoming dump with glee at the moment. I'm heading out to Mayrhofen on Friday and it's looking like it's going to chuck it down with snow Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this week. Pretty high winds though and a bit concerned if it does start to warm up and get rain when we get there.
I'm flying first thing tomorrow morning. Mayrhofen, then Sölden were on the cards. Now going to the Dolomites which won't be getting anywhere near as much snow (only a few miles away but the wrong side of the alpine ridge dagnamit!).

If this comes off I'll be pleased enough:

Screenshot_20200201-181852.jpg

·
Registered
126 Posts
It’s been super slushy the last couple of days. Had a couple of nice sunny slush laps this morning, and then it started pissing down with rain, so sacked off the afternoon and went for a little road trip to try and find a chopping board (hardcore I know). Gonna try and get a few runs in tomorrow morning before the rain comes in again, and then stick myself in the pub to watch the rugby.

Fingers crossed for the upcoming forecast for next weekend

·
The Swiss Miss
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #596
Haha that's resort closing amounts! Careful what you wish for eh?
Eh, I can do with a closed resort on weekdays ;) if lifts spin by Sat, those 1.2m announced snow on our side of the ridge had time to settle and I'm happy. Win-win :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
SLUSH IN THE ALPS!

I've never seen a popular ski resort so quiet 45 minutes after opening on a Sunday morning. Raining onto almost refrozen slush st 2000m.

Going to try my luck a bit further down.

edit. Ok so it's no better further down, need goggle wipers, giving it up.

(This is a resort with an uplift capscity of 38,000 per hour. I've done 2 long runs and seen under 30 people!)

·
The Swiss Miss
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #598

·
The Swiss Miss
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #599
SLUSH IN THE ALPS!
Is it raining on top as well? Yesterday, when it begun to rain, it wasstill snow on the top lift at 2400m; rain level was at about 2000m. Had hoped, it would rise through the night.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Back in the dry now. Looking good for midweek, 60cm forecast. I'm going to drive the van up to Arolla where 2 draglifts take you from 2000m to 3000m (3,300 feet ascent). Apparently it takes 45 minutes!!

581 - 600 of 625 Posts