Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

601 - 620 of 625 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
It’s been super slushy the last couple of days. Had a couple of nice sunny slush laps this morning, and then it started pissing down with rain, so sacked off the afternoon and went for a little road trip to try and find a chopping board (hardcore I know). Gonna try and get a few runs in tomorrow morning before the rain comes in again, and then stick myself in the pub to watch the rugby.

Fingers crossed for the upcoming forecast for next weekend
View attachment 152483
What app/site is that?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Looking for something to replace open snow, anybody used both and have a comparison, specifically in regards to accuracy?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
There's 2 main modelling systems available, at least for Europe. ECMWF (European Center for Medium-range Weather Forecasts) & GFS (Global Forecast System). I tend to check both Snow-Forecast (GFS based) and Bergfex (ECM based) and if there's rough agreement I know there's a fair chance of something along those lines happening.

Weather in the mountains is neigh on impossible to predict accurately though. This past Monday night Snow-forecast had nothing for the following day and Bergfex had only a couple of centimetres faling in the village we were in. We'd already had more than that by the the time we set off to drive to Kronplatz for the day.

Edit: got my days wrong... Also the drive over the pass was exciting to say the least!

·
The Swiss Miss
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #605
This is the most fucked up season ever. It was the warmest Jan in Europe, and continues to be too warm in Feb. We got one gale after the other, but whatever they dump if cold enough gets rained over withing the next days as a stupidly warm front follows.

Like, we got 40cm fresh last night at my resort. But by Sunday, we get 10°C announced, and then another rain front. At 2000m! WTF?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sucks :-( I was going to head over for a week early next month, but the weather & plague have put me off the idea.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is the most fucked up season ever. It was the warmest Jan in Europe, and continues to be too warm in Feb. We got one gale after the other, but whatever they dump if cold enough gets rained over withing the next days as a stupidly warm front follows.

Like, we got 40cm fresh last night at my resort. But by Sunday, we get 10°C announced, and then another rain front. At 2000m! WTF?
Exactly, and somehow the heatwave always comes on the weekend just to ruin the fun. Then it is followed by fresh pow in the middle of the week, when you are stuck at work. :cry:

·
The Swiss Miss
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #608 (Edited)
Exactly, and somehow the heatwave always comes on the weekend just to ruin the fun. Then it is followed by fresh pow in the middle of the week, when you are stuck at work. :cry:
Right! Sucks

Maybe we now pay for the last season

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ahh, you're just in a bad mood because you didn't get the day off :ROFLMAO:

It was Immense in Grimentz this morning. But by 1pm it was getting a bit heavy even at 2400m
20200214_135429.jpg

·
The Swiss Miss
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #610
Ahh, you're just in a bad mood because you didn't get the day off :ROFLMAO:

It was Immense in Grimentz this morning. But by 1pm it was getting a bit heavy even at 2400m
Of course! :devilish:
Hope, you had a sweet day out there! :)

Urgh... you're destroying my last hopes that maybe... maybe... there may be still something fluffy to ride by tomorrow. Alas... I gonna hunt some spring corn, then, lol.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #611
Well... arrived at the cabin, and it looks promising. There's a nice fresh layer of snow around the cabin at 1400m. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

We finally managed to hang them old n newer ladies to the walls today; four of mine are lacking, didn't buy enough hangers . Fun valentine's evening remembering the history of two (or three in his case) decades of passion for snowboarding

·
The Swiss Miss
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #612 (Edited)
Alright... northern aspects and gullies with windpockets were VERY nice! Indeed 40cm fluffy fresh!

But to get there is unfamiliar cumbersome. Like, riding over grass-zastrugie thingies, or having to take board off to cross open brooks which would be covered by snow this time of year, or to cross bare rock fields which i didn't even know they existed there as usually it's all covered by a thick layer of snow.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I’m getting thoroughly pissed off with the conditions here this year. My partner has booked some lessons up for a week, and the instructor reckons it’s the worst year for snow he can ever remember.

they are already scraping snow off the sides into mounds to try and save the pistes, and on the rare occasion the freezing level goes below 2000m, they blitz the snow cannons, but this has made the pistes effectively sheet ice with ice boulders everywhere.

I went to La Grave last week, but that was just icy with the occasional pocket of wind blown powder. Lots more warm weather forecast, and I’ve stopped getting excited for any snow that is predicted, because it either means strong winds that blow all the snow away, or rain, or both.

seen reports that some resorts in France are helicoptering snow from higher up in the mountains down to the bottom to try and save their resorts from having to shut down.

There’s been about 2 good days of powder here in the last 6 weeks, and I’ve been on the slopes every single day looking for it. The little bits that remained are just crust now. And since it’s the school holidays and busy, everything up high is tracked to fuck. The base level is so low that there’s a high risk of smashing into rocks.

argh, it’s shite

·
Registered
126 Posts
My complaining worked and it’s been snowing ever since. Only a few cm, but we are literally scraping the barrel for anything at the moment. This weekend is bringing really hot temperatures again, so it’s not going to last long 😢

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah I checked the forecast earlier, above freezing even at mid mountain level this weekend. I think my week of snowboarding in March is going to be changed to a week of windsurfing in Fuerteventura unless things change drastically.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've just had some "piste powder" at 2500 -3000m in Arolla in Switzerland. Poor vis and hardly anyone out.
Looking good for the morning.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #618
I've just had some "piste powder" at 2500 -3000m in Arolla in Switzerland. Poor vis and hardly anyone out.
Looking good for the morning.
Damn turists tracking out those midweek dumps! :devilish: Go home! :LOL:

Just joking!
But hell, this season is sooo jinxed. Dump by Wednesday, then a little rain and heat wave by weekend. Rinse, repeat. Oh, and a little hurricane strength gale inbetween 🥴. It's not the worst of all seasons I encountered in my app. 30y snowsports here ('07 was worse), but it's runners up for 2nd place.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I know, temps are crazy. Minus 5C here at village level midday today, forecast is for plus 15C on Monday!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Early forecast is suggesting that winter may finally come Tuesday. Still gonna be some quite strong winds, but fingers crossed. France is needing snow just to stop resorts closing. Still reckon it may be a short season since the base level is lower than it should be

601 - 620 of 625 Posts