Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am just looking at getting a cheap powder board for my week trip to Niseko in January, and I don't really know what to look for other than length. I am not going to be doing anything too hectic. I am an advanced boarder (15 years intermittent), but not much powder experience (rare in Australia). Just looking to carve fresh lines through the trees and hit up some of the back bowls in slackcountry. I won't be doing any large hikes or any proper backcountry.

I am not looking for the best powder board out there. Just hoping to get something cheap off ebay/gumtree for a couple of hundread bucks. Second hand is fine.

What should I be looking for specifically. I am around 5'9, 75 kg (165 lbs). I'm looking at around 160cm. Is there anything else in particular I need to know to look for? Whilst browsing I see words such as reverse camber, all mountain etc. The vast majority of the brands on ebay I have never really heard of, so I can't really go off make and model in my budget.

As long as the length is ok, it should be OK, or not??

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you don't have much experience in pow, keeping your back leg fresh should be a big priority the first few hours you really get after it. Believe me when I say your back leg will be tired in any sort of deep coverage on a moderate pitch.

Without the muscle memory / subtle movements of frequent pow riding, you are really only going to be able to stay fresh with a larger floaty board.

I'm 6'3, 230lbs and have no trouble staying on top with a 164.5, so 160 should be plenty large for you to float...You might even think of sizing down to a 157. Some other guys that are closer to your stats should be able to weigh in on that.

As far as board profiles go, the last few years has seen rise of some pow-friendly profiles that make it easy to float without as much rider effort as a pure camber deck that you are most likely used to with your experience...Look for boards that have some rocker in the tip/tail for a change as you'll be able to downsize without compromising float.

If you find any decks that looks promising, post them here and I'm sure others will have some feedback.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Burton Sherlock might be good compromise, you would still use it back in Oz, where a true pow stick won't be much use.

Set the binders back on Sherlock and it's pretty good in powder.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
Hi guys,

I am just looking at getting a cheap powder board for my week trip to Niseko in January, and I don't really know what to look for other than length. I am not going to be doing anything too hectic. I am an advanced boarder (15 years intermittent), but not much powder experience (rare in Australia). Just looking to carve fresh lines through the trees and hit up some of the back bowls in slackcountry. I won't be doing any large hikes or any proper backcountry.

I am not looking for the best powder board out there. Just hoping to get something cheap off ebay/gumtree for a couple of hundread bucks. Second hand is fine.

What should I be looking for specifically. I am around 5'9, 75 kg (165 lbs). I'm looking at around 160cm. Is there anything else in particular I need to know to look for? Whilst browsing I see words such as reverse camber, all mountain etc. The vast majority of the brands on ebay I have never really heard of, so I can't really go off make and model in my budget.

As long as the length is ok, it should be OK, or not??
I'm the same stats. A 160 is a good size board for everyday riding IMO, but not a good size for a pow deck.
Minimum 165 if it's a regular camber deck, shorter if it's a pow deck or has rocker

TT

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,
Thanks for the replies, I'll have a dig around and post anything when I find it.

My only issue with Burton is that I don't want to buy new bindings. I have Salomon bindings and am quite happy with them.
Tom

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
If you don't have much pow experience look for something like the Burton Fish or something similar in shape.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for the replies, I'll have a dig around and post anything when I find it.

My only issue with Burton is that I don't want to buy new bindings. I have Salomon bindings and am quite happy with them.
Tom
Salomon should have discs for the channel, or if you get 2008 model or earlier there will be no problem with the 3d hole pattern

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
Hi,

Tom
Unless they your bindings are really old they will work just fine on Burton boards.

Edit: Oops, Supra beat to it...

Also consider renting a pow board. Most rental shops have a variety of different pow sticks to choose from.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My bindings are quite old, but I'll have a look.

Renting is definitely an option. The only thing is the prices I found in Niseko are between 300-400 for 8 days boarding - I could buy a pretty decent board for that price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts