Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
At this point I might buy a Stalefish, Excavator, Dancehaul and Orca, try them and sell 3. What I am happy about is that reports from above seem to confirm I found the right category of board. Now to choose the best one for my taste is the hard part and pretty much impossible without trying.
The Yes Hybrid seems a copy and paste of my board (the Taka) very similar specs and flex and thegoodride ratings are pretty much the same for both in every category. At the end of the day it’s the one I like the least in design so with that many options on the table it’s out, but I am sure it’s a great board.

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
Thanks all for some great recommendations that I am currently researching.
However did anyone tried/compare some of the boards I listed? Would love to see a report from someone who tried the orca, stalefish and dancehaul for example.
Angry dropped the Dancehaul review this morning, link below

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
He doesn’t even mention the word powder once, instead talking about how it’s jibbing superbly well :eek:
Like I feared this one sounds too centered/freestyle for me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The Stalefish is the best board I've ridden for having fun in deep powder but not having to put it away when things get tracked out. It depends what you mean by "charging" but mine handles my typical high speeds (45-50mph) just fine. I love carving on it. 6'3", 200lbs on a 157.

I'd also consider the Yes Optimistic if you want something extra beefy. Optimistic is a stiff, hard charging board and rails turns, also really good in powder. Due to the stiffness it's less fun than the Stalefish on tracked out groomers and if you do freestyle things, but if you want a powder board that's also a hard-charging freeride board look no further.
Would you mind measuring the tip width and tail width on the 157? It’s the only snowboard I know off that I couldn’t find that info anywhere.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I absolutely adore my Orca. Deep powder, trees, chutes, chasing powder pockets over groomers, dropping an occasional cliff. It's a great board. That side cut is so tight man... sometimes I shake my head at how hard i can charge through the trees. It's downright blistering fast edge to edge. I don't ever take it out on a groomer day and I never take it out with less than 6 inches of fresh so I cannot speak as to how good it is once everything is tracked out. Also I have one of the original models so I believe it is a bit softer than the newer models.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I absolutely adore my Orca. Deep powder, trees, chutes, chasing powder pockets over groomers, dropping an occasional cliff. It's a great board. That side cut is so tight man... sometimes I shake my head at how hard i can charge through the trees. It's downright blistering fast edge to edge. I don't ever take it out on a groomer day and I never take it out with less than 6 inches of fresh so I cannot speak as to how good it is once everything is tracked out. Also I have one of the original models so I believe it is a bit softer than the newer models.
what’s your body specs and size of orca?
how can you not know how it does in tracked out powder? Where do you live lol? Here on a deep powder day everything is tracked out everywhere even in the slack country after a few hours. So even if I were to take a board only on deep powder days, I would immediately experience tracked snow after 2 hours..

·
Registered
282 Posts
what’s your body specs and size of orca?
how can you not know how it does in tracked out powder? Where do you live lol? Here on a deep powder day everything is tracked out everywhere even in the slack country after a few hours. So even if I were to take a board only on deep powder days, I would immediately experience tracked snow after 2 hours..
I'm 6 2. Weight about 230 with gear. Ride a 159 Orca. If I told you where I lived I'd have to kill you. Those who know don't tell....

I guess I should say I ride it once it gets tracked out but I'm usually leaving right about that time. Powder sticks around here till 2 or 3PM. By that point I'm so tired anyway I'm heading out. So is it good in tracked out snow? Depends. If you're taking groomers to chase the few bits of remaining freshies it's solid. Its good in tracked out trees due to that sidecut and magnetraction. Now,, would I ride it down a steep chute that was tracked out? Fuck no. That wouldn't even be fun. Would I ride it down super steep terrain that had been tracked out? Fuck no. It's too soft for anything super gnarly and tracked out. But that's why you take a quiver to the resort in your case right? I do believe that Lib Tech did stiffen it up though with their HP construction in the newer models. So keep that in mind too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'm 6 2. Weight about 230 with gear. Ride a 159 Orca. If I told you where I lived I'd have to kill you. Those who know don't tell....

I guess I should say I ride it once it gets tracked out but I'm usually leaving right about that time. Powder sticks around here till 2 or 3PM. By that point I'm so tired anyway I'm heading out. So is it good in tracked out snow? Depends. If you're taking groomers to chase the few bits of remaining freshies it's solid. Its good in tracked out trees due to that sidecut and magnetraction. Now,, would I ride it down a steep chute that was tracked out? Fuck no. That wouldn't even be fun. Would I ride it down super steep terrain that had been tracked out? Fuck no. It's too soft for anything super gnarly and tracked out. But that's why you take a quiver to the resort in your case right? I do believe that Lib Tech did stiffen it up though with their HP construction in the newer models. So keep that in mind too.
let me guess: idaho. Good to know you never experience tracked snow I’ll move in a heartbeat. Haha.
thanks for the write up, and yeah they have stiffen up the Orca.

the quiver I tried and I don’t mind owning 10 boards if I need too but it just doesn’t work for me. I don’t do park and I mostly go ride on a powder day but after a few hours when it’s tracked out I’ll hike a bit side country, maybe do a steep chute, then after the chute comes mellow trees. Then I’ll do 2 runs in tracked snow then 2 on piste the leave.

I can’t change board in between each run and in the middle of the run. How are people doing ? Riding the steep chute and then they arrive at the car to change board ? What about the trees and mellow terrain between the chute and the cars?
I mean the mountain is big with many faces, I don’t see how a quiver can work, but it doesn’t for me. I need something that work well on powder days anywhere on the mountain (powder, mellow, steeps, trees, tracked powder, and a little carve here and there on piste at the end of the day).
I just go for any terrain that has powder left and when it’s tracked out everywhere I do piste and leave and can only use one board for all of that unless someone tells me how to pack 3 boards inside a backpack.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Ruler Tape measure Office ruler Rectangle Measuring instrument

Nose = 321mm

Tape measure Ruler Office ruler Tool Wood

Tail = 300mm

That's a 157 Stalefish. Width at inserts is approx 280mm nose and 275mm tail at the center insert.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,620 Posts
I need something that work well on powder days anywhere on the mountain (powder, mellow, steeps, trees, tracked powder, and a little carve here and there on piste at the end of the day).
I just go for any terrain that has powder left and when it’s tracked out everywhere I do piste and leave and can only use one board for all of that unless someone tells me how to pack 3 boards inside a backpack.
That's pretty much how we ride. A (one) board needs to handle all conditions the day throws at us. This may start with a handfull early lift rides doing untouched deep runs in high alpin, then move below treeline and do all the untracked "secret" lines in trees, then move on to bootpack some high alpine steep stuff, then do a handfull groomer carving runs to finish those legs. Or in spring, the other way around: start with carving the perfect corduroy groomer, and then bootpack for corn runs in the chutes. For the first situation (deep winter, deep days), hubby takes the Mellow. For the later situation however, he prefers the Flagship, as in firmer snow, he prefers the stiffness of Flag over Mellow. Thus: quiver=yes, but no changing throughout the day; just different boards for different parts of winter.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I rode Orca and Dart, Orca is an all-rounder in powder. Very nimble, great in trees, awesome in very deep powder. But I had more fun and more surfy feel on Dart, and in deep powder making turns on Dart felt just better. Orca is just a safe bet in powder. You can't be disappointed.
But it's just bad on piste. It someone says it can carve well, well, it can't. Dart can and it's pretty good in carving. So if you like to carve and love powder, Dart will be a better option. If you like to do some freestyle tricks in powder - then Orca will be better than Dart, easier to handle, way more stable at landings.

My friend who borrowed me Orca has Dancehoul too. We were 7 days in LAAX last season, he took Dancehoul only once and changed it back to Orca the next day. That says a lot about Dancehoul vs Orca comparison.

You can see what I can do with Dart here for example:

·
Registered
656 Posts
I don’t mind owning 10 boards if I need too but it just doesn’t work for me.

I can’t change board in between each run and in the middle of the run. How are people doing ? Riding the steep chute and then they arrive at the car to change board ? What about the trees and mellow terrain between the chute and the cars?
... I don’t see how a quiver can work, but it doesn’t for me.
Not doubting your experience nor snowboarding history, but it works - exploit the best of your (specific-application) setup in the conditions that lend themselves to it, suffer the last 19% of the runout back to the car when conditions change, swap setups, back up the hill after an acceptable 15min wait at the bottom commuter chairlift, to get back higher up the hill with the right board for the right conditions.

You purport to mostly riding pow - that is enviable (if I hadn't lived for 3 years in Hokkaido before the foreign shitcnuts raped the place, moving their vacations from Bali to "Nar-sayyyy-kohhh").

drblast posted measurements of his Rome Stalefish (which I think is generous and in keeping with the sense of helping each other out in this community).

I own BOTH a Yes Hybrid 157 and the predecessor to the Stalefish - the Tramline 157 MoonTail (2020 model if I recall).

I can assure you that the Rome is a ridiculously, ridiculously versatile ride - fantastic sidecut, nice long nose, stiffer tail that you can truly lean on....

I really love that board, it's SUCH a carver on groomed for example, when it's not too firm underneath. The below does NOT detract from the fact that I have enjoyed the Tramline for the last 3 seasons.

Yes' directional tapered underbite in the Hybrid, is the reason that I will be moving my Tramline on to a good home - either that, or keeping it as a "let's try!" deck for friends and family who want to give a real directional board a go when they visit. If i didn't have friends or family that i enjoy having gear for them to try, it'd be up for sale right now.

Food for thought.

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Bear in mind for Angry Snowboarders review of the Dancehaul he's on the 152 at 200lb, you'd be buying the 157 at 175lb, which pushes it much more in the freeride direction for you. At 200lb I had plenty of deep days on my 157 and never struggled for float or felt like it wasn't enough board in freeride scenarios, but it does retain that freestyle vibe in its ride feel. I think you'd have fun on the board, but the Stalefish or Pyre are likely better picks in that short wide camp from the sounds of what you're after.

Just to give you more options, 162 Nitro Slash. Basically full camber but with a massive nose, you won't have any issues with float or stability on that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Advanced rider 6’5” 175lbs 12 boots based in Salt Lake City.
Looking for a bord that best suits the following:

• Can handle deep powder with EASE (ride Utah all season, occasional trip to Japan). Some serious float needed.
  • Handles tracked powder really well (let’s face it, after 2 hours the entire resort is tracked).
  • Nimble enough to not be a chore in trees.
  • Can carve well on piste.
  • Can charge with enough stability yet be fun.

Ideally I would like the float of a Mind Expander, carving of a Korua, charging ability of a Jones Flagship, and fun/agility of a short board. That board does not exist but I am looking at the best compromise.

Had a 164W XV: too big and stiff to be fun, and not nimble but great for my other criteria
Had a Salomon Super 8 160: more nimble, good charger and carver, but definitely not enough float
Currently have a Salomon HPS Taka 158. Love the tapper and set back, driving it from the back foot. Great float, nimble and fun. But carving is passable, and it’s a little too soft to be stable while charging.

Looking at replacing the Taka with something similar in spec (mid-wide to wide, on the shorter side with tapper and setback) but with a little more carving and charging capability without taking away the fun and agility.

What I look at:
  • The new K2 Excavator in 154 or 158
  • Lib Tech Orca in 153 or 156
  • Rome Stalefish 157 (might be just exactly like my Taka meaning a tad not enough agressive to charge/carve well)
  • Dart 160. Looks great for pow and carving, but can it charge through tracked snow being a swallow tail? Thegoodride says it needs to be riden from the front, I like to ride with the backfoot.
  • Salomon Dancehaul 157 but not a fan of centered stance.

Opinions?
Massive fan of the end archetype, I'm 6'5 250 12 boot and rock the 160w, amazing in pow and a joy to slash in trees and groomers, you maybe able to drop down to the 158W, the size of the nose and the swallow make it very challenging to sink while the camber and carbon will still throw on edge

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Not doubting your experience nor snowboarding history, but it works - exploit the best of your (specific-application) setup in the conditions that lend themselves to it, suffer the last 19% of the runout back to the car when conditions change, swap setups, back up the hill after an acceptable 15min wait at the bottom commuter chairlift, to get back higher up the hill with the right board for the right conditions.

You purport to mostly riding pow - that is enviable (if I hadn't lived for 3 years in Hokkaido before the foreign shitcnuts raped the place, moving their vacations from Bali to "Nar-sayyyy-kohhh").

drblast posted measurements of his Rome Stalefish (which I think is generous and in keeping with the sense of helping each other out in this community).

I own BOTH a Yes Hybrid 157 and the predecessor to the Stalefish - the Tramline 157 MoonTail (2020 model if I recall).

I can assure you that the Rome is a ridiculously, ridiculously versatile ride - fantastic sidecut, nice long nose, stiffer tail that you can truly lean on....

I really love that board, it's SUCH a carver on groomed for example, when it's not too firm underneath. The below does NOT detract from the fact that I have enjoyed the Tramline for the last 3 seasons.

Yes' directional tapered underbite in the Hybrid, is the reason that I will be moving my Tramline on to a good home - either that, or keeping it as a "let's try!" deck for friends and family who want to give a real directional board a go when they visit. If i didn't have friends or family that i enjoy having gear for them to try, it'd be up for sale right now.

Food for thought.
Thanks for the info. I assume you mean the Rome Powder Division MT? I didn’t find a board called tramline. So from what you say the Yes has more edge hold but how do they compare in powder and in general?
Thanks.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks for the info. I assume you mean the Rome Powder Division MT? I didn’t find a board called tramline. So from what you say the Yes has more edge hold but how do they compare in powder and in general?
Thanks.
"tramline" was a graphic on certain binding colourways of the Rome Katana, and maybe others, and there was a collection of pow boards in the Rome 2018-19 catalogue with the tramline graphic on the base. @buller_scott could tell you more

21 - 40 of 91 Posts