Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Orca all the way. Bought mine last year and can't stop riding it on everything. Of course it smashes pow but I love riding it on groomers too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
[

Define "deep" :)

We had some days with knee to thigh deep snow, enough to have upper mountain closed due to avy danger, so only runs below treeline were open. The 160 Mellow surely floats the old man better than the 164 Flgship. And I never heard him complaining. He really liked it's nimblemess in trees, but also took it to the climbs for steep chute riding.
Is this the new Mellow or the old pointy nosed Mellow?

·
The Swiss Miss
7,620 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Thanks for the info. I assume you mean the Rome Powder Division MT? I didn’t find a board called tramline. So from what you say the Yes has more edge hold but how do they compare in powder and in general?
Thanks.
Yes, Pow Division Moon Tail 157. I don't know if this board was split into a softer version (Service Dog)/Stiffer version (StaleFish), I don't know and I don't mind - it's a really great board that has served me well over the last two years.

The tail is stiffer (by virtue of being so flat and short) than the Hybrid.

But the Hybrid..... That wanky Yes sidecut.... it works. I went up with another setup today, I will be culling a lot of stuff. Next time I can make it to LOCAL Japan (none of this NARSAYYYKOHHHHH shit), I suspect that it's the Hybrid + all mtn freestyle deck. Hybrid will be able to handle the so-called "low angle pow"

Cloud Sky Mountain Slope Snow

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
Advanced rider 6’5” 175lbs 12 boots based in Salt Lake City.
Looking for a bord that best suits the following:

• Can handle deep powder with EASE (ride Utah all season, occasional trip to Japan). Some serious float needed.
  • Handles tracked powder really well (let’s face it, after 2 hours the entire resort is tracked).
  • Nimble enough to not be a chore in trees.
  • Can carve well on piste.
  • Can charge with enough stability yet be fun.

Ideally I would like the float of a Mind Expander, carving of a Korua, charging ability of a Jones Flagship, and fun/agility of a short board. That board does not exist but I am looking at the best compromise.

Had a 164W XV: too big and stiff to be fun, and not nimble but great for my other criteria
Had a Salomon Super 8 160: more nimble, good charger and carver, but definitely not enough float
Currently have a Salomon HPS Taka 158. Love the tapper and set back, driving it from the back foot. Great float, nimble and fun. But carving is passable, and it’s a little too soft to be stable while charging.

Looking at replacing the Taka with something similar in spec (mid-wide to wide, on the shorter side with tapper and setback) but with a little more carving and charging capability without taking away the fun and agility.

What I look at:
  • The new K2 Excavator in 154 or 158
  • Lib Tech Orca in 153 or 156
  • Rome Stalefish 157 (might be just exactly like my Taka meaning a tad not enough agressive to charge/carve well)
  • Dart 160. Looks great for pow and carving, but can it charge through tracked snow being a swallow tail? Thegoodride says it needs to be riden from the front, I like to ride with the backfoot.
  • Salomon Dancehaul 157 but not a fan of centered stance.

Opinions?
Sounds like a great board, another to add to the list if I stumble over a demo day someway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Sounds like a great board, another to add to the list if I stumble over a demo day someway.

Yep saw the review earlier today. I eliminated the Dancehaul which sounds more freestyle oriented and I'll try to buy an Excavator, Stale Fish, Orca and maybe a Yes Hybrid and keep the one I like the most. Depending on availability and price.

So far from the comments in this thread + online reviews + my hours of research it's in this order:

1. Excavator because it's exactly the specs and flex I am looking for + review says it's exceptional
2. Stale Fish, basically exact same specs as above with 4mm less tip/tail, and great reviews but seems it will be less stable at high speed, be less of a charger, to be confirmed
3. Orca because everybody including here raves about it, specs very similar as above with a bit less taper, seems it'll carve not as good as the above due to rocker
4. Hybrid due to recommandations here and in reviews. I am a bit reluctant because it seems exactly like my Taka meaning less taper than the above, might be too soft to charge. Also I am concerned about it feeling too centered.

At the end of the day I love my Taka, I just want something that powers a bit better through tracked powder and is a little more locked in on piste without being overwhelming. Per the Angry review the K2 might be just that, but it might be too much also (too stiff/agressive) thus why I am considering the others as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I live in Utah too and actually prefer having a two board quiver. But I have an old Burton Barracuda that slays pow and does well on groomers as well. The newest Burton that is similar is the Wave Tracer and it shows some promise. I now have a 21 BSOD, but have yet to ride powder on it. Other boards I have looked at that look like great Pow/Groomer sticks are K2 Excavator, Rome Ravine Select, Jones Ultra Flagship, Bataleon Camel Two. I do have a couple friends that ride Orca's and they do love them as well.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yep saw the review earlier today. I eliminated the Dancehaul which sounds more freestyle oriented and I'll try to buy an Excavator, Stale Fish, Orca and maybe a Yes Hybrid and keep the one I like the most. Depending on availability and price.

So far from the comments in this thread + online reviews + my hours of research it's in this order:

1. Excavator because it's exactly the specs and flex I am looking for + review says it's exceptional
2. Stale Fish, basically exact same specs as above with 4mm less tip/tail, and great reviews but seems it will be less stable at high speed, be less of a charger, to be confirmed
3. Orca because everybody including here raves about it, specs very similar as above with a bit less taper, seems it'll carve not as good as the above due to rocker
4. Hybrid due to recommandations here and in reviews. I am a bit reluctant because it seems exactly like my Taka meaning less taper than the above, might be too soft to charge. Also I am concerned about it feeling too centered.

At the end of the day I love my Taka, I just want something that powers a bit better through tracked powder and is a little more locked in on piste without being overwhelming. Per the Angry review the K2 might be just that, but it might be too much also (too stiff/agressive) thus why I am considering the others as well.
I'm tellin' ya bro, the Simple Pleasures does everything you want. Angry described the Excavator as a slightly softer version of the SP, comparable to the Niseko Pleasures. None of the three will overpower you. I live in Florida and only get out west around 10 days a year and the SP isn't too much for me. It's fantastic in powder and hero groomers, but it's just as solid in rutted out shit. It's the perfect one board quiver for me since I don't ride switch or hit the park. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three from K2. Good luck!
Sky Font Darkness Rectangle Event

·
Registered
110 Posts
How does it carve though with that C2x profile?
poorly
but it's always a safe choice for huge powder days, treerides, and high mountain freeriding. Very good in powder, can't deny that.

Even with my current quiver, I wouldn't mind adding Orca there. Just in case :)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I ordered a Niseko Pleasures Because I found a good deal on it and I just wanted to try it. Curious to see how that does on deeper days...I have a Storm Chaser and Endeavor Archetype as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
Watched the Angry Top 5 Powder Boards this morning. The Archetype seems to be a topic of conversation around here regarding its place as a true powder deck - interesting to see it at #1.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Watched the Angry Top 5 Powder Boards this morning. The Archetype seems to be a topic of conversation around here regarding its place as a true powder deck - interesting to see it at #1.

I have a archetype which is my first “pow” board, experience before this was a yes PYL, t rice pro & party platter.

At 6”5 250 the 160w never submarined me in upwards of 2 foot of fresh last year. In fact when id try to sink it would pop the nose right back up. I also found I quite liked it on soft groomers, it was a hoot for slashing and nimble carves. It definitely was a more natural floater then my 164w PYL even when set back though I know that’s not a pure pow deck.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I’m digging the new white top sheet for the archetype this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 91 Posts