Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
The worst top 5 in history of snowboarding.
He did not even mention the best dedicated pow boards on the market like Mind Expander and several others. Yet he puts in 3rd the Rome Ravine, an all mountain board!! If you put a Rome board in there at least put Rome’s pow deck…
And his top 1 is a fantastic board, but far from being the best powder board, maybe because it’s also not a pow board to start with…

·
Registered
75 Posts
The worst top 5 in history of snowboarding.
He did not even mention the best dedicated pow boards on the market like Mind Expander and several others. Yet he puts in 3rd the Rome Ravine, an all mountain board!! If you put a Rome board in there at least put Rome’s pow deck…
And his top 1 is a fantastic board, but far from being the best powder board, maybe because it’s also not a pow board to start with…
It’s an interesting point, the ravine surprised me, archetype is on brand, I have to admit I thought of the hovercraft as more of a pow board then the expander and the pow surfer more so then both . Surprised not to see the bataleon surfer. I love the archetype and think it’s my favorite because it’s not pow or bust.

What would your top 5 be?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
It’s an interesting point, the ravine surprised me, archetype is on brand, I have to admit I thought of the hovercraft as more of a pow board then the expander and the pow surfer more so then both . Surprised not to see the bataleon surfer. I love the archetype and think it’s my favorite because it’s not pow or bust.

What would your top 5 be?
I am not sure but I would mention Mind Expander, Storm Chaser, a Capita Spring Break maybe the Tree Hunter, a Korua maybe the Dart, Yes 420, Weston Japow, Rossi Sushi…
I am missing some for sure. But making a top 5 powder board by excluding all of those and including some all mountains and freeride board in it instead, You got to be kidding me lol.

The board I listed probably float better than half of his list.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I am not sure but I would mention Mind Expander, Storm Chaser, a Capita Spring Break maybe the Tree Hunter, a Korua maybe the Dart, Yes 420, Weston Japow, Rossi Sushi…
I am missing some for sure. But making a top 5 powder board by excluding all of those and including some all mountains and freeride board in it instead, You got to be kidding me lol.

Very true...Angrys views on powder boards confuse me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts

Definitely seems like he’s shading towards boards that will float but will also be fun on groomers/when pows tracked out. To your point the hybrid over the 420, hover craft over storm chaser, ravine over the stale fish

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I've ridden the EA 162 in waist deep powdery Japan and it goes okay but it is not in the same ball park as my Fish 161 (dedicated flat top powder). Even though I was fully set back on the front with EST and -20mm on the rear the nose was always sitting low in the powder. When I ride the EA 162 in powder I kept wanting it to be longer up front to lift that nose up. I never burried it but just wanted the EA to drive up and out on top more. The big problem with the EA is that the swallow tails gives you an illusion it's a dedicated powder slayer.

Sports equipment Product Textile Sleeve Font

I'll work with what I've got here but just look at the references on the EA (white dots) compared with that in the Fish. The EA has a 10mm greater length but the front reference is 82mm more forward than the Fish and 45mm forward on the rear. The rear tail rocker (uplift) on the Fish and the EA are close to the same point and the front is close to the same. This is a '21 Fish 3D so I'm comparing my riding experience with my older '18 Fish 161 (same as 3D fish) that I no longer own. Every Freeride/Powder board I compare the EA too you get this same above scenario. You just can't get enough set back with EST with the EA design. I may be a little over Endeavors weight range at 210lbs on a 162 but Avran is 200lbs on a 158. Now the latest EA 164 could be a better ride for me but I found I loved my EA on the piste more than the powder ie Hover Camber (setback camber). Here I don't have to worry about the nose submerging. This is my experience with the EA and it may/will be different for others.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I've ridden the EA 162 in waist deep powdery Japan and it goes okay but it is not in the same ball park as my Fish 161 (dedicated flat top powder). Even though I was fully set back on the front with EST and -20mm on the rear the nose was always sitting low in the powder. When I ride the EA 162 in powder I kept wanting it to be longer up front to lift that nose up. I never burried it but just wanted the EA to drive up and out on top more. The big problem with the EA is that the swallow tails gives you an illusion it's a dedicated powder slayer.

View attachment 159242

I'll work with what I've got here but just look at the references on the EA (white dots) compared with that in the Fish. The EA has a 10mm greater length but the front reference is 82mm more forward than the Fish and 45mm forward on the rear. The rear tail rocker (uplift) on the Fish and the EA are close to the same point and the front is close to the same. This is a '21 Fish 3D so I'm comparing my riding experience with my older '18 Fish 161 (same as 3D fish) that I no longer own. Every Freeride/Powder board I compare the EA too you get this same above scenario. You just can't get enough set back with EST with the EA design. I may be a little over Endeavors weight range at 210lbs on a 162 but Avran is 200lbs on a 158. Now the latest EA 164 could be a better ride for me but I found I loved my EA on the piste more than the powder ie Hover Camber (setback camber). Here I don't have to worry about the nose submerging. This is my experience with the EA and it may/will be different for others.
The difference in setback is pretty noticeable here also..

·
Registered
19 Posts
As you yourself mentioned it, how about a good old freeride classic: Jones Flagship?? I´m so in love with that board. Never had an issue in any terrain with it!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
The difference in setback is pretty noticeable here also..

Shoe Sports equipment Musical instrument Building Wood

I’ve tended more towards the resort pow board that can rock in powder but still be fun on groomers, based on that i lined up my 4 decks I grab on snowy days and was shocked by the lack of setback on the AE compared to my moss. Im wondering if what makes it float me so well is that it’s the 160 wide and the waist is up to 276mm compared to the rest of the line, I believe it has more total surface area then the 164. Setback at maximum is about in line with my optimistic which is 3cm shorter

Back to the angry conversation, he seems to ride resorts and I’m wondering if he’s looking at resort pow boards over pure back country boards, I wonder if pow boards should be further sliced into resort/off piste/Japan

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
View attachment 159244
I’ve tended more towards the resort pow board that can rock in powder but still be fun on groomers, based on that i lined up my 4 decks I grab on snowy days and was shocked by the lack of setback on the AE compared to my moss. Im wondering if what makes it float me so well is that it’s the 160 wide and the waist is up to 276mm compared to the rest of the line, I believe it has more total surface area then the 164. Setback at maximum is about in line with my optimistic which is 3cm shorter

Back to the angry conversation, he seems to ride resorts and I’m wondering if he’s looking at resort pow boards over pure back country boards, I wonder if pow boards should be further sliced into resort/off piste/Japan
Love that Moss!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
As you yourself mentioned it, how about a good old freeride classic: Jones Flagship?? I´m so in love with that board. Never had an issue in any terrain with it!!!
Fantastic freeride board like my Rossi XV was, and my Super 8. But definitely not what I look for. I am looking for a pow board that can also charge (eliminates things like storm chaser sushi…), that doesn’t get bucked around in tracked snow (eliminates stuff like Yes 420 and other very short fat), that can carve and can be nimble and fun all day long and in trees (eliminates XV, Flagship…)
Also, the when people tell me those freeride board float I believe they haven’t ride a pow board. When I had the super 8 I thought it floated. Then I got the Taka and understood. Night and day difference in powder.

At the end of the day I want exactly the Taka but a tiny bit more agressive / better for carving and charging than the Taka is. But that board is so good in powder yet decent in everything else I might get disappointed in what I get because the Taka is close to be my board. That’s why I enjoyed it for 2Y. It’s my perfectionist aspect that pushed me look for something perfect.

One thing I noticed is board dimensions and tapper help, but what really helps a board more to float is setback and shape. Super 8 is way more camber than Taka, and on pow the feeling is night and day. The super 8 plunged back into the snow because of camber where the Taka always stay up and super surfy and easy to turn.

One final world. I can’t carve a Flagship even in 162W. Forget waist width. Width at rear Insert is too narrow due to the taper. People look at waist width when they should look at tail width. With my size 12 I can’t ride less than 300mm tail width. That’s one more reason I want something like Excavator, Stalefish, Orca, Hybrid, Dancehaul…. They have perfect width for me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Fantastic freeride board like my Rossi XV was, and my Super 8. But definitely not what I look for. I am looking for a pow board that can also charge (eliminates things like storm chaser sushi…), that doesn’t get bucked around in tracked snow (eliminates stuff like Yes 420 and other very short fat), that can carve and can be nimble and fun all day long and in trees (eliminates XV, Flagship…)
Also, the when people tell me those freeride board float I believe they haven’t ride a pow board. When I had the super 8 I thought it floated. Then I got the Taka and understood. Night and day difference in powder.

At the end of the day I want exactly the Taka but a tiny bit more agressive / better for carving and charging than the Taka is. But that board is so good in powder yet decent in everything else I might get disappointed in what I get because the Taka is close to be my board. That’s why I enjoyed it for 2Y. It’s my perfectionist aspect that pushed me look for something perfect.

One thing I noticed is board dimensions and tapper help, but what really helps a board more to float is setback and shape. Super 8 is way more camber than Taka, and on pow the feeling is night and day. The super 8 plunged back into the snow because of camber where the Taka always stay up and super surfy and easy to turn.

One final world. I can’t carve a Flagship even in 162W. Forget waist width. Width at rear Insert is too narrow due to the taper. People look at waist width when they should look at tail width. With my size 12 I can’t ride less than 300mm tail width. That’s one more reason I want something like Excavator, Stalefish, Orca, Hybrid, Dancehaul…. They have perfect width for me.
For powder, carve & wide feet I’d add the AE, Optimistic, Gremlin, PYL

All have nice taper, good effective edges, stiff ness for carving and float that will keep you up in most scenarios

·
Registered
75 Posts

Also why not the telos backslash?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
You could have a look at the Stranda Tree Surfer and the Bowlrider. They feel like they should handle rutted out terrain well. Personally not a fan of the nose shape but they ride really well, and carve like carving boards, although they have a shorter sidecut than what I prefer. Really nice looking boards too... and seem well built. My personal favorite among the Stranda boards is the Shorty though. I've tried the 169 and it's incredible on edge and has a good scooped nose. Maybe not the most agile tree board though. Maybe the 164 wide could be something.

My personal favorite is the Pencil plus. Downside is that it's a little bouncy in uneven terrain, but I suspect the Classic version is more stable. Really nice balance to it in powder and is really fun doing high speed carves. It's only front foot ridden when you initiate the turns. The shorter sidecut in the front makes it turns faster and initiate better like that. From then on through the turn you ride it front foot to back foot.

Then you have the Tur Buteo... sort of like a mix between a powderboard and a nimble Bullet Train.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
View attachment 159244

Most boards can be pow focused. Some of my best pow boards are full camber no taper, just longer and narrower with setback (15 cm longer with same ww as my park board), and my fav resort board is a «japan» board. It’s hard to make a golden standard for reviewing or marketing descriptions, and what people feel each board is good for. Some brands are good at describing it. I keep tail width pretty consistent, and mostly look at sidecut, tail shape and flex. I have long boards for deep days because I don’t really like them too wide.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll put a +1 in for the Mind Expander. I don't have experience with a ton of powder boards (my last pow board was the K2 gyrator which I liked) but I've got to say that I've never had more fun on a board in my 20+ years of riding than on the Mind Expander. Love the float and surfy feel. I feel great on drops and landings in deep powder. Just super stoked on the board. Plus I love the way it looks.

I know there are a ton of other great powder boards that I haven't tried but love the ME, and know a couple others on my local hill that love it as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Stumbled on this review while exploring the Taka.

According to them, HPS Louif Paradis is very freeride focused, stiffer than the Taka (a board they loved). Salomon advertise it as a pow board (HPS line). So perhaps your dream board is a cousin of the Taka?

Its in french.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts