Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Powder board recommandation

32K views 137 replies 37 participants last post by  deagol 
#1 ·
Advanced rider 6’5” 175lbs 12 boots based in Salt Lake City.
Looking for a bord that best suits the following:

• Can handle deep powder with EASE (ride Utah all season, occasional trip to Japan). Some serious float needed.
  • Handles tracked powder really well (let’s face it, after 2 hours the entire resort is tracked).
  • Nimble enough to not be a chore in trees.
  • Can carve well on piste.
  • Can charge with enough stability yet be fun.

Ideally I would like the float of a Mind Expander, carving of a Korua, charging ability of a Jones Flagship, and fun/agility of a short board. That board does not exist but I am looking at the best compromise.

Had a 164W XV: too big and stiff to be fun, and not nimble but great for my other criteria
Had a Salomon Super 8 160: more nimble, good charger and carver, but definitely not enough float
Currently have a Salomon HPS Taka 158. Love the tapper and set back, driving it from the back foot. Great float, nimble and fun. But carving is passable, and it’s a little too soft to be stable while charging.

Looking at replacing the Taka with something similar in spec (mid-wide to wide, on the shorter side with tapper and setback) but with a little more carving and charging capability without taking away the fun and agility.

What I look at:
  • The new K2 Excavator in 154 or 158
  • Lib Tech Orca in 153 or 156
  • Rome Stalefish 157 (might be just exactly like my Taka meaning a tad not enough agressive to charge/carve well)
  • Dart 160. Looks great for pow and carving, but can it charge through tracked snow being a swallow tail? Thegoodride says it needs to be riden from the front, I like to ride with the backfoot.
  • Salomon Dancehaul 157 but not a fan of centered stance.

Opinions?

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you had a look at the Amplid Surfari?

Great board, haven't had the chance to ride it in deep pow but have no doubt it ticks most of what you've asked.

The antiphase should help with tracked out pow and reduces any chatter coming through and holds an edge.no problems.

#3 ·
It looks like a great board but probably won’t work:

- tail width is not enough for size 12 boots. The 161 which is their biggest size (and likely too big for me) has the same tail width of my Taka, which gives me drag when laying it. the shorter size is even worst
Also it costs an arm and not widely available in the US but that’s secondary.

Interestingly, it looks a lot like some of the boards I listed (particularly the excavator which is wider though).

#15 ·
Also it costs an arm and not widely available in the US but that’s secondary.
Amplid boards are available for special order, with no additional duty charged, from the Splitboard Shop.

#4 ·

• Can handle deep powder with EASE (ride Utah all season, occasional trip to Japan). Some serious float needed.
  • Handles tracked powder really well (let’s face it, after 2 hours the entire resort is tracked).

Ideally I would like the float of a Mind Expander, carving of a Korua, charging ability of a Jones Flagship, and fun/agility of a short board. That board does not exist but I am looking at the best compromise.

Had a 164W XV: too big and stiff to be fun, and not nimble but great for my other criteria
Had a Salomon Super 8 160: more nimble, good charger and carver, but definitely not enough float
Currently have a Salomon HPS Taka 158. Love the tapper and set back, driving it from the back foot. Great float, nimble and fun. But carving is passable, and it’s a little too soft to be stable while charging.

Looking at replacing the Taka with something similar in spec (mid-wide to wide, on the shorter side with tapper and setback) but with a little more carving and charging capability without taking away the fun and agility.

What I look at:
  • Rome Stalefish 157 (might be just exactly like my Taka meaning a tad not enough agressive to charge/carve well)
  • Dart 160. Looks great for pow and carving, but can it charge through tracked snow being a swallow tail? Thegoodride says it needs to be riden from the front, I like to ride with the backfoot.

Opinions?
My immediate thought was the Salomon x Asmo HPS 157 (now the Salomon Wolle Nyvelt, I think), which probably isn't too far off of the Taka. I was riding mine at 215ish and it has a massive WW with a good bit of setback. It has amazing float and is fun to carve with on groomers. I'm not sure on the tracked conditions. I know a few who swear it's one of the best boards they've been on, but I ended up getting off of mine after a couple of runs because of how much it bucked me. BUT, that's in the heavy, wet conditions at The Summit at Snoqualmie. I can easily see how if it was riding the dry, soft powder it would be incredible. Avran's review from Colorado said he had no problem with tracked out crud. The Good Ride said they wouldn't ride it in tight bumps, but I had no trouble navigating moguls. I had one day in more dry powder and it was so much fun, but that was untouched stuff that was a bit drier. I ended up trading it away.

For now, the board I ride in those tracked conditions is the Amplid Surfari 161. It's unsinkable in deep powder and incredibly stable. It's fine on a carve, but not incredible. I haven't had it in tight trees but I wouldn't mind taking it in.

Wish I could comment on the Dart. I know a few who swear by it and would ride it in all of the conditions you're looking for.

#6 ·
My immediate thought was the Salomon x Asmo HPS 157 (now the Salomon Wolle Nyvelt, I think), which probably isn't too far off of the Taka. I was riding mine at 215ish and it has a massive WW with a good bit of setback. It has amazing float and is fun to carve with on groomers. I'm not sure on the tracked conditions. I know a few who swear it's one of the best boards they've been on, but I ended up getting off of mine after a couple of runs because of how much it bucked me. BUT, that's in the heavy, wet conditions at The Summit at Snoqualmie. I can easily see how if it was riding the dry, soft powder it would be incredible. Avran's review from Colorado said he had no problem with tracked out crud. The Good Ride said they wouldn't ride it in tight bumps, but I had no trouble navigating moguls. I had one day in more dry powder and it was so much fun, but that was untouched stuff that was a bit drier. I ended up trading it away.

For now, the board I ride in those tracked conditions is the Amplid Surfari 161. It's unsinkable in deep powder and incredibly stable. It's fine on a carve, but not incredible. I haven't had it in tight trees but I wouldn't mind taking it in.

Wish I could comment on the Dart. I know a few who swear by it and would ride it in all of the conditions you're looking for.
Interesting, what’s your weight size and boot size? I thought about that one because at first it looks like the Taka but stiffer, but ruled it out because of how mega massive it is. I mean 20mm more width in both the nose and tail compared to my Taka looks like it will be a chore especially in trees, which thegoodride review seemed to confirm.
I would love to try it but I am reluctant to buy it as I could bet it’s gonna be too wide to be fun and agile.

#9 · (Edited)
Can handle deep powder with EASE (ride Utah all season, occasional trip to Japan). Some serious float needed.

Not sure about the Utha part as I've never ridden there and thus don't know the terrain/type of snow, but all the other requirements of your list would be matched by Nidecker Mellow.

It's the board I got for hubby when he wanted something more nimble after riding a Jones Carbon Flagship for years in all conditions/trips. I don't remember him using the Jones even once last season... It's two years since, but lots of forum veterans gave their recommendations then who may not be active right now. You may find some ideas in that thread, too: Quiver pow board for aggressive rider

#11 ·
Not sure about the Utha part as I've never ridden there and thus don't know the terrain/type of snow, but all the other requirements of your list would be matched by Nidecker Mellow.

It's the board I got for hubby when he wanted something more nimble after riding a Jones Carbon Flagship for years in all conditions/trips. I don't remember him using the Jones even once last season...
That's a fun looking board that Nidecker Mellow, damn you @neni :LOL:

#14 ·
[
I have nearly pulled the trigger on a Mellow SO many times. Nearly bought one from a local last week that I got a pair of bindings from. He was more into party boards, but said the Mellow was a great all arounder.

@neni How is it with deep powder?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Define "deep" :)

We had some days with knee to thigh deep snow, enough to have upper mountain closed due to avy danger, so only runs below treeline were open. The 160 Mellow surely floats the old man better than the 164 Flgship. And I never heard him complaining. He really liked it's nimblemess in trees, but also took it to the climbs for steep chute riding.

#16 · (Edited)
Don’t think you can leave the Yes Optimistic/Y out on this one. The Moon Buggy from Burton wasn’t bad. It has float and can be carved and it’s wide but agile, and that’s with size 9,5. Bit weak nose, but that’s fine for carving. Maybe it’s too long? Gentemstick has some nice wide ones, but probably too expensive then. Moss Fluffy or U4 half could work, same price issue though. The Furberg boards are pretty nimble, and the biggest size could work, but they need soft snow, or at least they did until next seasons (and I’m not sure if it’s just one model or all), and not everyone can carve them anyways. If you can deal with the sidecut, you will lay some deep carves. They are boards where you want a loaded backfoot for carving at least. New Stranda Shorty 164 wide is pretty spot on.

#20 ·
The Stalefish is the best board I've ridden for having fun in deep powder but not having to put it away when things get tracked out. It depends what you mean by "charging" but mine handles my typical high speeds (45-50mph) just fine. I love carving on it. 6'3", 200lbs on a 157.

I'd also consider the Yes Optimistic if you want something extra beefy. Optimistic is a stiff, hard charging board and rails turns, also really good in powder. Due to the stiffness it's less fun than the Stalefish on tracked out groomers and if you do freestyle things, but if you want a powder board that's also a hard-charging freeride board look no further.

Reactions: Craig64
#21 ·
At this point I might buy a Stalefish, Excavator, Dancehaul and Orca, try them and sell 3. What I am happy about is that reports from above seem to confirm I found the right category of board. Now to choose the best one for my taste is the hard part and pretty much impossible without trying.
The Yes Hybrid seems a copy and paste of my board (the Taka) very similar specs and flex and thegoodride ratings are pretty much the same for both in every category. At the end of the day it’s the one I like the least in design so with that many options on the table it’s out, but I am sure it’s a great board.

#25 ·
I absolutely adore my Orca. Deep powder, trees, chutes, chasing powder pockets over groomers, dropping an occasional cliff. It's a great board. That side cut is so tight man... sometimes I shake my head at how hard i can charge through the trees. It's downright blistering fast edge to edge. I don't ever take it out on a groomer day and I never take it out with less than 6 inches of fresh so I cannot speak as to how good it is once everything is tracked out. Also I have one of the original models so I believe it is a bit softer than the newer models.

#26 ·
what’s your body specs and size of orca?
how can you not know how it does in tracked out powder? Where do you live lol? Here on a deep powder day everything is tracked out everywhere even in the slack country after a few hours. So even if I were to take a board only on deep powder days, I would immediately experience tracked snow after 2 hours..

#33 ·
I rode Orca and Dart, Orca is an all-rounder in powder. Very nimble, great in trees, awesome in very deep powder. But I had more fun and more surfy feel on Dart, and in deep powder making turns on Dart felt just better. Orca is just a safe bet in powder. You can't be disappointed.
But it's just bad on piste. It someone says it can carve well, well, it can't. Dart can and it's pretty good in carving. So if you like to carve and love powder, Dart will be a better option. If you like to do some freestyle tricks in powder - then Orca will be better than Dart, easier to handle, way more stable at landings.

My friend who borrowed me Orca has Dancehoul too. We were 7 days in LAAX last season, he took Dancehoul only once and changed it back to Orca the next day. That says a lot about Dancehoul vs Orca comparison.

You can see what I can do with Dart here for example:

#36 ·
Bear in mind for Angry Snowboarders review of the Dancehaul he's on the 152 at 200lb, you'd be buying the 157 at 175lb, which pushes it much more in the freeride direction for you. At 200lb I had plenty of deep days on my 157 and never struggled for float or felt like it wasn't enough board in freeride scenarios, but it does retain that freestyle vibe in its ride feel. I think you'd have fun on the board, but the Stalefish or Pyre are likely better picks in that short wide camp from the sounds of what you're after.

Just to give you more options, 162 Nitro Slash. Basically full camber but with a massive nose, you won't have any issues with float or stability on that.

#37 ·

What I look at:

Opinions?
Massive fan of the end archetype, I'm 6'5 250 12 boot and rock the 160w, amazing in pow and a joy to slash in trees and groomers, you maybe able to drop down to the 158W, the size of the nose and the swallow make it very challenging to sink while the camber and carbon will still throw on edge

#48 ·

What I look at:

Opinions?
Sounds like a great board, another to add to the list if I stumble over a demo day someway.

#49 ·
Yep saw the review earlier today. I eliminated the Dancehaul which sounds more freestyle oriented and I'll try to buy an Excavator, Stale Fish, Orca and maybe a Yes Hybrid and keep the one I like the most. Depending on availability and price.

So far from the comments in this thread + online reviews + my hours of research it's in this order:

1. Excavator because it's exactly the specs and flex I am looking for + review says it's exceptional
2. Stale Fish, basically exact same specs as above with 4mm less tip/tail, and great reviews but seems it will be less stable at high speed, be less of a charger, to be confirmed
3. Orca because everybody including here raves about it, specs very similar as above with a bit less taper, seems it'll carve not as good as the above due to rocker
4. Hybrid due to recommandations here and in reviews. I am a bit reluctant because it seems exactly like my Taka meaning less taper than the above, might be too soft to charge. Also I am concerned about it feeling too centered.

At the end of the day I love my Taka, I just want something that powers a bit better through tracked powder and is a little more locked in on piste without being overwhelming. Per the Angry review the K2 might be just that, but it might be too much also (too stiff/agressive) thus why I am considering the others as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.