Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
I think I'd prefer something with literally any other profile than CRC for carving. I liked the shape of the Swift, but CRC is a real deal breaker for me. Their power grip drops it even further out of the running for me. Mag and the like don't feel good when carving at all.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think I'd prefer something with literally any other profile than CRC for carving. I liked the shape of the Swift, but CRC is a real deal breaker for me. Their power grip drops it even further out of the running for me. Mag and the like don't feel good when carving at all.
Have you actually ridden one? I real life bought one because it carves so well.

And I'll be honest, I've never ridden true mag, but I'd be annoyed as hell by the catchiness people describe and I don't feel it with vario sidecut on either board I own with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have to agree with Crusty. The Swift is a combination or CRC and Ripsaw like all shaper series boards. The ripsaw in the back gives it pretty incredible edge hold off the tail. That said all boards are not created equal and need to be ridden to appreciate. I also bought a Shaper Twin which in theory is the same tapered camber shape (albeit less taper) but with a centered stance and I hated the board. The Shaper Twin is completely different (because of the added taper and the setback?). I have to admit that I wasn't expecting much outside of decent powder performance when I took it to Utah last year but by the end of the week it was all that I would own if I lived out there. I fell in love with the thing and now own one myself and have enjoyed riding it on the East Coast also. On another note, Magnatraction and Power Grip can barely be compared. I don't like Magnatraction at all while Neversummer's Power Grip is pretty much invisible yet the edge hold in pretty much all circumstances is fabulous. A simple idea that actually works. Even the CRC needs more credit than it's being given here. NS has some CRC boards that carve really well. They don't have the edge feel of Ripsaw or a true camber board but they still perform very well. Ride a Swift and then get back to us.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I've never ridden a Swift, but have been on some NeverSummers and Mervins with CRC. Personally I don't like the feel of rocker between my feet for carving. Maybe they performed some magic on the Swift to make it feel different than all other CRC I've been on...? Kinda doubt it. I'm not trying to be a hater, and fully support your love of the Swift. I'm sure it's grippy and blasts groomers.

Have you ever carved on camber? A huge part of carving for me is starting turns with weight on my front foot, and transferring that weight smoothly through the middle of the board into the tail. This compresses camber evenly and gives you tons of predictable grip and rebound. Rocker between my feet really disrupts this feeling for me personally. I agree that the vario power grip is better than Mag, but for a carving purist it's not ideal either.

Every thing is personal preference. What I look for in a carving machine is different that what Swift owners are looking for, that's for sure. Nothing wrong with that. Shred your own shred.

·
Registered
9 Posts
35+ years of snowboarding have allowed me to experience everything you have described (yes, even carving on camber) although I'm sure my tastes have changed over the years. Nothing is ideal for every circumstance. Seems the OP was looking for a recommendation of something that would do both ends of the pleasure spectrum (powder and carving) reasonably well rather than from a purist standpoint. Lucky for us all there are TONS of choices available today and many very good options that will work for what he is looking for. Board feel and style, shape, etc. is a preference for sure. The NS Swift is one of many that I have had the pleasure of enjoying. And one I enjoyed enough to own. From my perspective (on a powder day) I'd rather have a board that floated powder effortlessly and did the other stuff moderately well than have one that was awesome touching elbows to the groomers but made powder a chore. You haven't had a truly good powder day until you've spent one riding a board that is truly amazing doing it and makes it effortless. And yet one persons opinion of a good powder day can surely be different than another's. Enjoy what you enjoy.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yeah what he said.

Have you ever carved on camber?
For about 30 years now. This is literally the first board I've owned that wasn't camber.

This is the rabbit hole that led me to a Swift:

Every thing is personal preference...Shred your own shred.
Totally agree. But taking guesses about a board you've never ridden doesn't really help others.

·
Registered
620 Posts
As I said, I've never found a CRC profile that works for carving for me yet. If I was buying a powder/carving board off of stats, the swift doesn't fit my personal bill. Maybe there's some magic in that Swift that I need to try. I've only rode his bigger brother the Big Gun. No hate here, I just personally didn't love the feel in a carve. And you're right, it is dangerous giving advise on specific boards you haven't ridden. I'm not the angry snowboarder or beastie, just a snowboarder of the internet speaking in generalities.

Camber profiles don't matter as much in powder, and the swift has an awesome powder shape. Taper, setback, and the surface area of the nose make that board great in powder like so many others. I find that that general shape does really well, and is popular with manufactures. Take the Simple Pleasures for instance. That powder shape doesn't necessarily have to be tied to a CRC profile. It's all preference. I'm stoked you've got a powder ride that works well for you.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts