Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My turn!

Has anybody ridden both? What board/size would you recommend for the wet stuff up here in Whistler?

I'm around 140 lbs/5'10"/size 10 boots.

I'm looking at either the Powder Snake in 156 or 160 or the Charlie Slasher 154 or 158.

I can get last year's models for around $250 (although I can't find a 154 Slasher at the moment).

I rode a 153 Westmark for most of last season and I'll be keeping that for now. I like a playful board and I'm probably more on the freestyle side of things than pure charging.

Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Rode the first year's Powder snake 163. I'm 170.
Soft flex, not a ton of pop. Durability.... after 5 good powder days, bent edges, big gouges, cracked topsheets near the binding.

On the other hand, could handle varied terrain despite the soft flex. Crushed pillows, Duh in powder. Very fun to just cruise on, great side cut for fun turns.

Fun board, don't see it going a full season without major tlc.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd probably only be riding it on 20cm/10"+ days (and there's usually a very healthy base here). I'm surprised durability would be a big issue with a pow board?

I was pretty disappointed that my Westmark barely survived a whole season.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
I'd probably only be riding it on 20cm/10"+ days (and there's usually a very healthy base here). I'm surprised durability would be a big issue with a pow board?

Have not ridden a ps...would like to try....but 180# on 164 cs...at only 10" a cs is not really needed and a bit of a waste...use my 159 billygoat for 10-14"....use the cs at 18-36+" pretty unsinkable...I wish it had a bit of cam between the bindings instead of being flat...just for a bit of pop. 3 winters so far and only on deeeep days...no durability issues.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Couple of sad seasons plus late season 2-3 foot dumps = submerged objects aplenty.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I rode my Charlie around Nelson last year including up at Baldface and I just loved it. It is a super easy board to ride and with the shape and profile you just ride it like a normal board but in the pow! I have not ridden the other board to compare though. For what it's worth I only had my Charlie out about 9 days as those were the only days really worth using a full pow board.

·
Registered
884 Posts
+1 for the slasher, its a good board for not a lot of money, its nice and stiff for blasting through crap to get to the goods, it has a tail but not much of one, so don't plan of riding switch unless you really need to. Try to get a 154 if you can they haven't changed for a few years so even older ones are good too.

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
The Charlie Slasher is the bees knees. Love it. There may be better powder boards out there, but there's not a better one out there for the money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts