Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife wears glasses and cannot wear contacts.

Can anybody recommend a good pair of prescription goggles that are not too expensive?

Where can she get them? I don't think Lens Crafters carries them...

Thanks in advance!

U

·
0 Posts
im by no means an expert on the subject. but in my searches ive seen "over the glasses goggles" might be a cheaper (if they even make prescipt goggles) solution.

D

·
0 Posts
OTG goggles

i have just started to board this year, and got a pair of OTG goggles (bolle) for my birthday.

OTG goggles are definitely cheaper in comparison to prescription goggles, but here comes the major thing ... if she is going to wear glasses underneath, check that her glasses frames are not too wide and touching the lenses. i am having some problems with that right now and end up fogging up my goggles all day on the slopes. also, my glasses frames are getting completely bend out of shape in order to get a better fit.

hope this helps a little ...

·
Registered
351 Posts
duckie....sounds like someone I know.... :confused::confused:

A friend of mine has perscription water goggles, so I'm sure you can get perscription board/ski goggles.

Anon and Scott seem to make fairly wide frames, see if they have any over the glasses solutions, smith may too.
The bolle are spherical in shape/design so as duckie above said, fitting them over glasses may be a bit uncomfortable.

EDIT1: http://www.smithoptics.com/Over-The-Glass-(OTG)_Category_14.html found after a quick search
EDIT2: price seems very reasonable

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Boo to prescription goggles. I got to be dad's guinea pig for that stuff and it was CRAP. If anything, stick to slightly larger goggles, like Oakley Wisdoms. Rx goggles are basically just a single lens with an insert. You can't change the colour of the lenses and they have no venting.

P

·
0 Posts
I dunno man. The people I know who use them swear by them. I don't wear glasses, but it seems to me that if you wore glasses underneath, your glasses would fog up. I have never heard anything bad about these Adidas ones.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Eh. I hated them. Will never use them again. And it's not practical for me, as an instructor, because I constantly have to take my goggles on and off to make eye contact with the student and such.

P

·
0 Posts
Eh. I hated them. Will never use them again. And it's not practical for me, as an instructor, because I constantly have to take my goggles on and off to make eye contact with the student and such.
Ya I can see how that could be a pain not being able to see when you take your goggs off haha.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rx goggles are basically just a single lens with an insert. You can't change the colour of the lenses and they have no venting.
i dont think she is worried about swapping out the lenses or changing the color - but when she was wearing her regular glasses under the goggles they kept fogging up on her...

S

·
0 Posts
I also wear glasses, can't wear contacts, and find OTG goggles don't keep my glasses from fogging up inside the goggles (and I've tried a whole host of tricks to remedy this), so I find this thread interesting (enough to finally stop lurking and join, lol).

In addition to the other suggestions in this thread, has anybody tried out any of these listed on the site below? The prices are certainly cheap, I wonder if they'd be a viable option...

Welcome to Sporting Specs Rx / Prescription Program

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some options?

So a quick google search turned up the following

prescription ski goggles | Top brand prescription ski goggles at discount prices from Frames Direct

anybody know anything about using a prescription insert?

Prescription SkiGoggles

Bolle Goggle Rx Prescription Adapter - CR-39 Clear Lense - FREE S&H for Bolle Ski & tactical goggles 80061 80059

looks like there are plenty of options for inserts - anybody know more about these? might she be better off just getting a pair of prescription sunglasses or something?

S

·
0 Posts
Hmm, some more options out there than I thought for us glasses people. This looks promising.

And to who suggested the catcrap... it isn't very good. It helps DELAY fogging, but it still eventually creeps up.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hmm, some more options out there than I thought for us glasses people. This looks promising.

And to who suggested the catcrap... it isn't very good. It helps DELAY fogging, but it still eventually creeps up.
hahah, I never tried the crap, so I can't say. I was throwing ideas out there for the OP :p

D

·
0 Posts
you are lucky you don't need to try any of this stuff ...

not all of us are blessed with almost perfect vision ;P

S

·
0 Posts
Well, I found another alternative. Hoo boy, are they expensive, but after seeing them in person at a glasses shop, I've ponied up and ordered a pair (I can use them for a lot of sports I do, not just boarding).

Go to www.adidas.com and look for the "Evil Eye Explorer" series of outdoor performance sport glasses. Shatterproof frame with detachable Rx insert and arms, goggle strap, removable lenses (and comes with a dark lens and an amber lens), and they just look plain bad ass. You might think they'd look really silly in person with the Rx insert, but I saw them... they look fantastic.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts