Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Preseason suggestions in the Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee area?

1K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  CassMT 
#1 ·
Deciding to jump in my car and camp two nights somewhere around Jackson Hole... Grand Targhee looks pretty decent right now. Don't have backcountry gear so just looking for something mellow in that area or a good spot to build a jump and enjoy the scenery.

Any suggestions on a camp site area or hiking access this time of year would be appreciated. Thanks ;)

#6 ·
yep...from there you'll see the start of the path those ppl are on in my pic above,or if you cross the road behind those cars you'll see the posthole path that takes you up that face you see at upper right..(so sad, i 'can remember thae name name of the run, uggh) a bit hard with words, but when you get there it's obvious, and i would think there will be others doing the same as you...if it is clear you see from anywhere up there some amzing views all directions

is Targhee open already? still the deepest snow i've ever ridden in my life was at targhee, snorkel deep, but i had no snorkel, lol

#10 ·
some drive-in -and-camp spots come to mind..north out of Wilson (at the bottom of the pass) is Fish Creek rd, go out there and find a spot...and going out of jackson east is Cache creek rd, ends in a parking lot...north of jackson too is the Gros Vente forest service campground, not sure it would be open still though

Driggs is cool to hang out for beers and pizza and alll that, might even find someone to let you crash, or camp or whatever

hope to see some pics! bon voyage

#11 ·
I will second riding Teton pass. just park at the top of the pass and start hiking. to the south of the road is an area called edelweiss? Its a quick boot to the top. Im sure its tracked out by now but it should be avy safe by now, being a week since the last snow.

On the Jackson side I always camp on fs land at shadow mountain. its on the east side of 89/26/191 off of antelope flats road, just past the moose jct entrance to the park. There are also a places to camp in snake river canyon south of Jackson.

The road to Targhee passes through NFS land so there are places to camp there. Ive renegade camped by just pulling off the road and pitching a tent after dark and leaving early AM.

Google for specifics.

Its gonna be COLD this time of year so the lower you camp the better.

And also, Teton Pass is the steepest paved road ive ever driven on so if your vehicle's engine is prone to blowing up, be careful.

North of the park is towgatee pass. Which is F'n beautiful. I have never ridden there but the pass is at 10K so Im sure you could find some easy access to snow.

#12 ·
Hey CassMT, hope you can provide me some info. My Buddy ad I are planning to go to Grand Targhee early next year and looking for a motel to spend the night but on a cheaper price like <$100 and close to the resort. any ideas? thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.