Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Why do you think prices have increased on 2022 gear?

• Small Supply

• Large Demand

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No one is immune, as prices increase every year. Whether it be food or vehicles, everything seems to be getting more expensive.

I just noticed a sudden price change on hard and soft goods.
The increases have ranged from 5 to 7 percent, from last year.

Here are a few examples in USD:
  • Burton AK Cyclic jacket
    2020-21: $399, 2022: $419
  • Capita Super DOA
    2020-21: $649, 2022: $699
Is there a small supply or is there a large demand? What do you all think or observe from increased prices on gear?

Thanks for reading a post from a snowboarder just trying to pass the time between now and the next winter season.

·
Premium Member
3,425 Posts
If it's anything like the bike industry it's supply issues and increased shipping costs, whether that be shipping of raw materials or of finished products out to distributors. They've also experienced a huge increase in demand, I don't think the snowsports industry has seen anywhere near the same increase but that's likely a factor too.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
You've just got to always look for EOS sales. I recently grabbed a last seasons 2020 [ak] Swash for $Au399 (RRP $Au749.99/$US449.95) = $US298. Never buy outerwear/hardwear at full prices, it's just way to expensive $$$$$$$$$$.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You've just got to always look for EOS sales. I recently grabbed a last seasons 2020 [ak] Swash for $Au399 (RRP $Au749.99/$US449.95) = $US298. Never buy outerwear/hardwear at full prices, it's just way to expensive $$$$$$$$$$.
I always look for sale prices and make an effort to buy my gear at discount as much as possible.
But unfortunately not all pieces of gear align with availability, discounts, and the off season.

In the event that something needs to be replaced, I sometimes pay retail because I need the gear at the beginning of (or) during the snowboarding season.
I also have a common size in outerwear & boots and my size tends to sell out quickly.

Reactions: Craig64

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I always look for sale prices and make an effort to buy my gear at discount as much as possible.
But unfortunately not all pieces of gear align with availability, discounts, and the off season.

In the event that something needs to be replaced, I sometimes pay retail because I need the gear at the beginning of (or) during the snowboarding season.
I also have a common size in outerwear & boots and my size tends to sell out quickly.
In mens outerwear it's gerneally S and XL that is always last to sell. Especially S. I'm lucky here being XL.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
In mens outerwear it's gerneally S and XL that is always last to sell. Especially S. I'm lucky here being XL.
I'm also lucky to be an XL. It's pretty nice to get those EOS sales. My head is massive, and huge helmets can be found so cheap. I paid $20 for my current Smith helmet.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Me and several of my friends got hooked up by a friends son that was working at Arcteryx and was able to get us anything at his cost.

I picked up the Sidewinder jacket which retails with tax around $800, I got it for $350 no tax, no shipping. Most guys on here don’t like mountaineering gear but I still have my first Sidewinder that is probably over 15 years old and just as good as the day I bought it

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Me and several of my friends got hooked up by a friends son that was working at Arcteryx and was able to get us anything at his cost.

I picked up the Sidewinder jacket which retails with tax around $800, I got it for $350 no tax, no shipping. Most guys on here don’t like mountaineering gear but I still have my first Sidewinder that is probably over 15 years old and just as good as the day I bought it
Nice “humble brag” and contribution to this thread. Thanks!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Very nice, and yep yep yep - gear that's a season old ain't no big deal. I used to be one of those superficial wankers who thought that I had to have new gear every season (the wanker part = I still had perfectly good gear from the season before, but still thought I should have the latest of the same bindings, for example).

These days I get around on a 3 year old Rome MT (predecessor to the StaleFish), and wouldn't you know it - I decided to mount up my old Option Dufficy from 2008 (my cousin gifted it back to me after he got his Yes Standard in 2019), and OH MY GOD I almost wept, kicking myself for wasting years on too many alternate camber profiles/shapes, when all along full camber is a part of who I am as a snowboarder. That deck is currently getting Montana'd at my local, and I am going to be spending most of the season on it, if the VIC government will let me.

In Australia, I get the impression that full-blown retail prices for latest-season gear, are really only for those who are treating themselves e.g. new DOA, new Stratas as a quiver of one that they can finally afford and are ultra hyped about, or otherwise the well-heeled who are taking up snowboarding because they think it will make them look cool, but REALLY they're never gonna invest in professional training / snowboard camps, or serious trips overseas (rather, their trips overseas are more about a bit of snowboarding, mixed in with lots of heavy drinking and trying to get laid left right and center whilst thrust-farting due to bellies full of alcohol and overeating for "energy on the snow").

My brag - I just picked up a pair of Nitro Phantoms (I have fallen in love with Nitro bindings, they're so simple yet so well thought out - longer ladders, super grippy toe strap, oversized crisp buckles) - including price matching + a gift card from someone through work, and including express shipping, they cost me a whopping $49 😁

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I also grabbed a set of 2019 Xbase EST at 40% off EOS to give them a run and also I wanted to do a review of them as well in a few weks time for SBF. Will throw them on the CX and see if my old legs will hold up with this aggressive set up.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I also grabbed a set of 2019 Xbase EST at 40% off EOS to give them a run and also I wanted to do a review of them as well in a few weks time for SBF. Will throw them on the CX and see if my old legs will hold up with this aggressive set up.
You're fit and strong, you'll hold up. I'm a fat bastard who's still on the piss (albeit eating pretty clean - wayyyy down on carbs, mostly greens + good meat from the valley), and if I can still hold up, you'll be able to no problem!

After riding my Nitro Team Pro's on my Option Dufficy (yep, not with 6 or 8 carbon strands - TWENTY ONE!!!), arguably a stiffer setup, vs. Burton Clutch on my Marhar Lumberjack (a polar opposite setup as far as my quiver goes), honestly i found the Option easier to ride.

Maybe it's just the way that I've been built as a rider during the best riding years I've had - full camber unforgiving carbon loaded decks, with stiff baseplate Flux bindings - you can take the boy outta stiff camber for a while, but you can't take stiff camber outta the boy.

Those bindings will be interesting though - that's pretty much a carbon Diode highback on a carbon infused baseplate yes? I love the standard Diode highback, a carbon version would be total heelside control!

·
Premium Member
3,425 Posts

As fantastic as their gear is it just doesn't fit well with snowboard culture and style IMO. Definitely a good option if you want to spend $$$ and only buy once though. They don't have the features I'm looking for in snowboard outerwear, only time I break it out is touring or if it's going to be raining on the hill (which isn't often for me)

I will say as a die hard merino lover I've been totally won over by the Rho AR base layers, a plush fleece that is just so goddamn cozy and warm, but wicks sweat incredibly well still. Anyone who regularly rides in -10C/14F or colder should really check them out.

Reactions: Yeahti87

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
That deck is currently getting Montana'd at my local...
OK, as a born and raised Montanan, in dieing to know what that means?

Also, with me recently discovered perfect boots being Nitrous, I've been curious about trying some of their bindings with them. Any recommendations on where to start?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
533 Posts
OK, as a born and raised Montanan, in dieing to know what that means?

Also, with me recently discovered perfect boots being Nitrous, I've been curious about trying some of their bindings with them. Any recommendations on where to start?

My local shop has a Montana base grinding machine - I've yet to see the results of my request (shop is now closed due to Covid lockdowns in my state - shit is popping off in Melbourne, there are no new cases in my small country town, and yet we are subject to the same shitty lockdown that's happening literally hundreds of miles away), but I asked for a coarse structure with standard side edge and a 1 degree base bevel (which supposedly their Montana can do all of), so we'll see how it looks when I finally get my board back, after my town is released from lockdown.

As for bindings, I've typically used Burton, Flux, and Flows in the past (with a pair of Nows thrown in there as well). What I was really, REALLY impressed with, about my Nitro Team Pros:
  • they're quite a simple binding, but don't let that fool you - the guys at Nitro have put A SHIT TON of thought into making the simple things mind-blowingly good
  • buckles are oversized and super crisp - VERY easy to feed the ladder into the buckle, no fiddling around, and the ratchets climb tightly with a reassuring "click" for every tooth
  • Vibram toe straps are the real deal - SUUUPER grippy, and they stay put without slipping one little bit.
  • ankle straps are stitched and padded - I thought I was a moulded plastic strap convert (like much of Burton's line), but damn these ankle straps are plush and comfy, it's been a while since an ankle strap has been off my mind this effectively (as in, once they're on, there's no pressure points, I couldn't even tell you if they're there)
  • heel airbag is also the real deal - I'm a heavy guy who's getting on in years, and my joints feel it when they're being put through the grinder. These airbags add a nice bit of dampening, and I don't feel quite as sore at the end of the day when compared with riding my Burton Clutches (which are also good, but the Nitros are better by far)
  • overall, I've never ridden a binding quite this plush, whilst also offering quick response and fine control

My Team Pros are the reason that I just got a pair of Phantoms - with airbags in both the heel AND toe, I can imagine these are going to find a permanent home on my carving decks, but I suspect they will also be a formidable side hit / play around / small-medium park binding.

Where to start for you? I'd suggest that the Teams would be a cost effective binding for do-it-all, if you don't need a stiffer binding (I'm moving back to stiff bindings and a narrower stance) - the Teams still have the airbag and the Vibram toe strap, you just miss out on the oversized aluminium buckles and stiffer highback. (Mind you, I 100% feel that the buckle and highback upgrade for the Team Pros absolutely justify the cost premium)

The Team Pros are meant to be a freestyle killer, but they could absolutely rock freeride as well.

The Phantoms, based on what I've seen of mine, would be an awesome carving / freeride binding, just due to their extra bit of adjustability over the Team / Team Pro.

Yes I shit on a bit, but hope that helps!!! 🤘

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
My local shop has a Montana base grinding machine - I've yet to see the results of my request (shop is now closed due to Covid lockdowns in my state - shit is popping off in Melbourne, there are no new cases in my small country town, and yet we are subject to the same shitty lockdown that's happening literally hundreds of miles away), but I asked for a coarse structure with standard side edge and a 1 degree base bevel (which supposedly their Montana can do all of), so we'll see how it looks when I finally get my board back, after my town is released from lockdown.

As for bindings, I've typically used Burton, Flux, and Flows in the past (with a pair of Nows thrown in there as well). What I was really, REALLY impressed with, about my Nitro Team Pros:
  • they're quite a simple binding, but don't let that fool you - the guys at Nitro have put A SHIT TON of thought into making the simple things mind-blowingly good
  • buckles are oversized and super crisp - VERY easy to feed the ladder into the buckle, no fiddling around, and the ratchets climb tightly with a reassuring "click" for every tooth
  • Vibram toe straps are the real deal - SUUUPER grippy, and they stay put without slipping one little bit.
  • ankle straps are stitched and padded - I thought I was a moulded plastic strap convert (like much of Burton's line), but damn these ankle straps are plush and comfy, it's been a while since an ankle strap has been off my mind this effectively (as in, once they're on, there's no pressure points, I couldn't even tell you if they're there)
  • heel airbag is also the real deal - I'm a heavy guy who's getting on in years, and my joints feel it when they're being put through the grinder. These airbags add a nice bit of dampening, and I don't feel quite as sore at the end of the day when compared with riding my Burton Clutches (which are also good, but the Nitros are better by far)
  • overall, I've never ridden a binding quite this plush, whilst also offering quick response and fine control

My Team Pros are the reason that I just got a pair of Phantoms - with airbags in both the heel AND toe, I can imagine these are going to find a permanent home on my carving decks, but I suspect they will also be a formidable side hit / play around / small-medium park binding.

Where to start for you? I'd suggest that the Teams would be a cost effective binding for do-it-all, if you don't need a stiffer binding (I'm moving back to stiff bindings and a narrower stance) - the Teams still have the airbag and the Vibram toe strap, you just miss out on the oversized aluminium buckles and stiffer highback. (Mind you, I 100% feel that the buckle and highback upgrade for the Team Pros absolutely justify the cost premium)

The Team Pros are meant to be a freestyle killer, but they could absolutely rock freeride as well.

The Phantoms, based on what I've seen of mine, would be an awesome carving / freeride binding, just due to their extra bit of adjustability over the Team / Team Pro.

Yes I shit on a bit, but hope that helps!!!
That's sad, I was hoping it was some crazy Aussie saying!

Thanks for the Nitro breakdown, I'm even more intrigued now.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

Yes I shit on a bit, but hope that helps!!! 🤘
Only thing with stitched straps on binding is after a fair few years the vinyl starts to break down and stitches can fall apart. Moulded straps are great as long as the compound lasts and doesn't degrade. Burton will replace it anyway if they fail. How much does it cost to get the Montana base grind?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Only thing with stitched straps on binding is after a fair few years the vinyl starts to break down and stitches can fall apart. Moulded straps are great as long as the compound lasts and doesn't degrade. Burton will replace it anyway if they fail. How much does it cost to get the Montana base grind?
Call me a weirdo, but for every pair of bindings I get, I "detail" them using stuff from my car detailing arsenal - UV plastic protectant for foam and plastics, Singer oil for buckles, and leather conditioner for the straps. I find that bindings last longer with this stuff, and also I've been able to sell bindings "with only 4 days on them" at a higher (deserved) price, that've actually got 30+ days on em, they're in that good nick.

And truth be told, I tend to upgrade my gear too often for stuff to deteriorate due to age/time - if something innovative comes out in a few seasons from now (or if Nitro continue to evolve their stuff and it gets even better), I'll sell my current stuff on to some local kid in my town, and upgrade.

Don't get me wrong, I do love Burton bindings - well, Burton everything, actually (I WILL be getting another Skeleton Key in future), I just find these Nitros to be pleasantly surprising - interestingly, the only reason that I got em was because I was so comfy with my Burton binding lineup, I challenged myself to try something different, EVEN IF that meant going with a brand I had absolutely no interest in (I've NEVER been interested in anything Nitro), but yeah, it worked out!

The base grind will eventually cost me $110 when I can pick it up (board is being held hostage by Dan Andrews' irrelevant-to-my-region lockdown) - so, a base grind that costs twice what I could likely sell the board for haha.

·
Premium Member
3,425 Posts
Ditto the Nitro love, incredibly well designed, featured, and priced bindings. Unfortunately that ankle strap didn't agree with my high arches, nothing bad but enough that a full 5-6 hour riding day made me wish I was on a pair of my Romes instead (Pivot mount saves me). Definitely worth checking out their binding line, Phantom Carvers have some serious power behind them and I'm a guy who spends half my time on Targas.

$110 for a base grind sounds insane to me! Our super tune is $60 and that includes P-tex work. If it's just a grind, edge, and wax it's $50. Hope that Montana machine gives the best finish you've ever seen!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

Yes I shit on a bit, but hope that helps!!!
Interestingly, looks like I can get Team Pros cheaper than regular Teams at the moment? Might have to pull the trigger...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts