Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never thought It would happen but Vail resorts actually reduced prices on something!! :thumbsup: I just got an email, the epic pass is now $629 and the epic local pass is $479. I'm glad I didn't go with my first instinct and buy the pass as soon as it became available. Sometimes it pays to wait.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, you expect the prices to keep climbing every year. Nothing new there. It just is an easier pill to swallow than the prices they initially came out with for the 11/12 season

·
Registered
403 Posts
It is a rip off, its like $400 or close too for a limited pass, and blacked out saturdatys at northstar, they need a northstar only pass or something, and thats why im going else where next season for my pass.

·
Veteran Member
11,531 Posts
Do you guys remember when it was $800 for a season pass at Keystone, or Breck, or Copper, or Winterpark? That's right, $800 for just one of those spots. I sure do. Though pass prices have been rising, you all still have it very good compared to mid 90's pricing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am STOKED about the Epic Season Pass. When compared w/ the rates for my local ski hill, it is as cheap as chips! In for $49 deposit! Cannot wait to hit up VAIL and surrounding resorts!

Anyone here fairly familiar w/ rates for accommodation in Vail and nearby, e.g. East Vail and Sandstone? I keep hearing from various sources that Vail, similar to Aspen is over-priced... Then again, I am remaining optimistic! Also, I'm there for @ least 2 months solid!

Cannot believe I'm pre-preparing in advance... Hooked I tell you!

·
Veteran Member
11,531 Posts
Vail is expensive, no doubt. Not quite on par with Aspen, but it's in the same ball park. Still, plenty of ski bums are doing it in Vail. I think a lot of peeps stay in Edwards. For the cheapest area, Minturn is the spot to look.

For all the glitz and expense there, Vail has it's charm. Vail Village is one of the nicest wannabe European ode to the retail gods center of any ski area. All joking aside, it's nice. Easy to walk around, lot's of restaurants and bars. Good stuff.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mammoth is having a limited sale on 2011/12 MVP passes (no black out dates) for $659. keeping in mind that lift ticket prices are at $92. as long as you go about 7 times you make your money back. plus they are letting members use them from may 1st til end of the season (around 4th of july).
definitely worth it.

·
Premium Member
7,573 Posts
I loved vail. I start my job up there July 25th. I got my epic passes already for next year so I can use them this summer to for biking and hiking. I cant wait. Im likely going to live in west or east vail. you can find furnished 2-3 bedroom, very nice condos for $1500-2000/month including bills. Not really ski bum material but there are some low rate places too aroudn there. Cant beat snowboarding in Vail/Beaver Creek/Breck every day. Im gonna work the evening shift at the hospital so I can board every morning during the season..... Mtn bike every day in the summer/fall. My wife and son are pumped.

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
Well that sucks. I always look forward to every year when the prices come out and people bitch about the prices going up and then in the same breath bitch about the crowds.

You want to get rid of some of the crowd and some of the shitshow on I-70? Jack the prices up to $1000+. The majority of that shitshow on the weekend isn't tourists, it's Front Rangers. Get the prices to the point the average gaper wouldn't buy and would just go a couple of times buying day tickets and you'd get rid of some of the crowds.

As far as Vail goes, the backside bowls are great on powder days, but the front side is largely a gaper fest of moguls and cat tracks. Plus, if I had to deal with that clientele and scene on a regular basis, I'd lose my mind. Vail tends to attract a special breed of wannabe Aspen fucksticks.

·
Premium Member
7,573 Posts
I didnt think it was all that bad during an off peak week. Im sure its fucked up when its packed on holiday times..... Ill just work some overtime, I work in surgery so they are asleep for it. The local people there seems pretty chill though. Hope there arent too many fucksticks on any regular basis. There were quite a few pretty good riders there though. I twisted my knee the first day there last month so I did not get to ride the back bowls. I cant wait to get 100 or more days riding next season....

Breck is where I would like to live but it is too far from where I am going to work. Summit hospital doesnt pay near what Vail does.... fuckin sucks. I plan to do 20-30 days there next season though....

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I know plenty of people that commute to Vail daily it's not that bad. Also all this crowded tourist/ front range fuckers talk is highly amusing. Only once did I wait in line this season and then said fuck it and took all my back routes to get around the mountain and it was fine.

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
I wouldn't live in Breck and commute to Vail working in the medical field. That is NOT an understanding field for calling out for much any reason. With the frequency of Vail Pass getting shut down, I wouldn't do it.

Considering all I ride these days is Loveland and backcountry, all the Epic Pass resorts seem packed as fuck.

·
Premium Member
7,573 Posts
Ive been working in hospitals for 15 years, i have called in maybe one time. I am very particular about being punctual and at work. Thats why im gonna live in Vail and not commute even to minturn..... that and if I live in vail I can make the most of my epic pass usage.

I would have lived in breck if I could have made more.money at st anthonys summit hospital in frisco though. Seemed much more chill than Vail. Locals were the same in.both places though, all very nice with laid back mentality. I would never choose to live in the denver area though.

·
Veteran Member
11,531 Posts
Just for the record. The I70 shit show has been the I70 shit show since before I moved out here. That was 1990, and it was pretty much just as bad then as it is now. The season pass thing really didn't change anything. Maybe, just maybe the bad traffic is extended a few weeks longer with the cheap passes. Regardless it still sucked in 1990 and it still sucks in 2011...

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Just for the record. The I70 shit show has been the I70 shit show since before I moved out here. That was 1990, and it was pretty much just as bad then as it is now. The season pass thing really didn't change anything. Maybe, just maybe the bad traffic is extended a few weeks longer with the cheap passes. Regardless it still sucked in 1990 and it still sucks in 2011...
Are they doing anything to fix it? Or is there no room to widen the road?

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
Are they doing anything to fix it? Or is there no room to widen the road?
They've been doing all kinds of studies. Most recently they're looking at options to fix the bottleneck that always happens at the tunnel just east of Idaho Springs. That area there causes a lot of the backup east of the Eisenhower Tunnel. Still, that's like putting a bandaid on a shotgun wound.

The best option is extending the light rail to Summit County, but that would take years and TONS of money. Meanwhile, they should put a toll on I-70 to start accumulating funds. That should've been done years ago.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I never thought It would happen but Vail resorts actually reduced prices on something!! :thumbsup: I just got an email, the epic pass is now $629 and the epic local pass is $479. I'm glad I didn't go with my first instinct and buy the pass as soon as it became available. Sometimes it pays to wait.

It was $600 for the Epic in 2009 and $460 for the Colorado pass the same year. I know this because I bought a Summitt pass for $400 that year.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts