Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, I'm a senior Industrial Design student in Boston, MA

For my thesis I decided to focus on solving the common problem of staying balanced and sliding down the hill when you are trying to strap-in while standing.

I can't be the only one that always ends up sliding down the slope when I'm still trying to strap-in! It's even worse for me since I use Flow bindings. So I am basically going to design a product that a rider could buy and use to stop this from happening. Snowboard binding innovation has been great recently but no one has addressed this problem. Just because I can slide my foot into Flows quickly, doesn't mean I can always prevent myself from sliding while doing it.

It would really help legitimize my thesis proposal if I got a bunch of responses on the SURVEY BELOW. The 8 question survey should only take a minute to complete. I look forward to seeing your feedback. Thank you.

LINK --> https://qtrial2014.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_77gx3XgwERl19Dn

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah haha, I'm thinking it will be something that attaches to the board and can rotate to stick into the snow to keep your board stable. Or something small the rider carries and can wedge in the snow to keep the board from moving. Not really in the design phase yet, working on research and collecting data to back up the idea.

·
Registered
12,496 Posts
Or you know you could stop, pick the board up with one leg, slam it down into the snow a little heel edge heavy, do this till it makes a slight groove and locks you in, then strap in. I mean I know solving problems that don't actually exist is every engineers wet dream, but after 20 plus years of snowboarding and seeing technology grow and get better I can't say this is a serious problem that needs to be addressed.

Save yourself the time, headache, and eventually money and just ride more.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I ride flows as well,I think it is easier to flip the back up while moving.

I find setting the parking brake on my car to be a problem, Could you invent a tire that will turn to a square after the ignition is turned off so I don't have to?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Or you know you could stop, pick the board up with one leg, slam it down into the snow a little heel edge heavy, do this till it makes a slight groove and locks you in, then strap in. I mean I know solving problems that don't actually exist is every engineers wet dream, but after 20 plus years of snowboarding and seeing technology grow and get better I can't say this is a serious problem that needs to be addressed.

Save yourself the time, headache, and eventually money and just ride more.
That.
And with rear entry bindings you angle the board a bit facing uphill and slide you foot in. besides you never strap with the board pointing downhill do ya? :)

·
Registered
776 Posts
I play a game where I unstrap both binding and then push my board down the hill, then I chase after it and try and strap in without falling. I've lost a lot of good boards playing this game. Maybe someone can invent something to make it easier?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been riding for a while and I get it's not a huge problem, more of an annoyance. With Flow bindings you have to shove your foot pretty hard to get it all the way in. This sometimes enough forward momentum to get you sliding, even if you made a groove. I'm comfortable strapping-in while sliding it's just annoying. This could probably help beginners more than advanced riders.

·
Registered
12,496 Posts
I've been riding for a while and I get it's not a huge problem, more of an annoyance. With Flow bindings you have to shove your foot pretty hard to get it all the way in. This sometimes enough forward momentum to get you sliding, even if you made a groove. I'm comfortable strapping-in while sliding it's just annoying. This could probably help beginners more than advanced riders.
It's a non-existent problem. I'm pretty sure the amount of days you have on snow snowboarding in your life isn't what I've done in one years. Walk away now your target market is straight up telling you this is a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
With Flow bindings you have to shove your foot pretty hard to get it all the way in. This sometimes enough forward momentum to get you sliding, even if you made a groove.
You've got your Flow bindings adjusted wrong. They don't have be tight. You should be able to slip your foot in with very little effort. The high back locks you into place.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
McDonalds is looking for people just like you! They need hot coffee that isn't hot and a burger that will chew itself.

Learning how to strap in efficiently is part of the fun. Not a problem.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Here's the trick. With the lead foot in (I suppose) step down on your lead knee and left hand (I'm regular) , like a sprinter starting to run, that will angle the board about 45 and let you slide the rear foot in easy peasy. Pull the lever and go. I do that standing when it's really steep, leaning against the slope.

·
Moving to the dark side...
1,428 Posts
I can already be off down the hill before i have strapped in, i use flows, and have never fallen while strapping in while moving, i ride with some skiers and boarders, and we are all the same, there is never any waiting involved for each other...!

·
The Swiss Miss
7,379 Posts
Design reliable ratches which never break, don't eat the ladder AND never jam.
Or design stiff boots which won't soften up after a season in use (please add wnm sizes!)
Longer lasting lighter smaller batteries would be nice as well.
Or solve the problem of all wmn (cold feet) without being dependent on battery life span/ recharge / stacks of eplacements / having to add thick heating thingies into boots which should fit snug.

Those are real problems IMO :dunno:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Design reliable ratches which never break, don't eat the ladder AND never jam.
Or design stiff boots which won't soften up after a season in use (please add wnm sizes!)
Longer lasting lighter smaller batteries would be nice as well.
Or solve the problem of all wmn (cold feet) without being dependent on battery life span/ recharge / stacks of eplacements / having to add thick heating thingies into boots which should fit snug.

Those are real problems IMO :dunno:
I agree.

The future of snowboarding is not in mechanical engineering but rather in chemical. Advanced alloys and polymers are the way to go.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,436 Posts
Also snow... none here in CA.
^this^

Design a method of inducing, producing copious amounts of "Blower POW" at any resort on demand! You will be forever immortalized as a "Snowboarding God!!" :snowboard1::snowboard3::snowboard4::snowboard1:

:hairy:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts