Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
Idk...but suspect if you are getting chatter on the A Frame, it is because you are fighting the fall line (too transverse). I had similar experience for a couple of years...until I figured out, "just point it down the fall line and get the board up on edge to use its radius = no chatter".

·
Registered
300 Posts
NP Scott, what Nidecker boards and what size are you interested in (if the right deal pops up)?
I have never walked into Melb Snowboard without knowing pretty much exactly what I wanted LOL
I did try some boots on there. never again. esp at sale time. ended up buying from Ballistyx, who did price match with twelve, which was handy.
Yeah lol, guaranteed Ballistyx will price match Twelve - Twelve has (rightfully so) taken quite a chunk of Ballistyx's customers, and I'd suspect that Ballistyx would enjoy any chance to poach a customer from Twelve, given the history.

Nice one though! As for Nidecker, I can't recall the specific model names, but they've been of the "directional, carvy yet handy in pow" ilk. Truth be told, I've been somewhat interested, however not enough to justify e.g. $500 on one, when for a few hundred bucks more I can get the board I really want from Twelve, with the pleasure of talking to the great staff, catching up with the founders of the store, and getting my loyalty discount to boot.

Re: Melbourne Snowboard, yeah - I bought some boots there last season (late enough that Twelve was out of the boots I was interested in, at my size), and it was painful - guy was telling me how sick Buller is, how he usually rides 150-200 days a year (yet he's stuck in the city 6 days a week, working at the snowboard store, hundreds of km's away from any snow?), and how he's broken Union heelcups and straps hitting 70ft kickers, but damn Union are the best bindings ever.

Another one is Larry Adler, I'm talking online purchase here, you know what board you want and and just want the lowest price. I picked a K2 Manifest from them last year for $440 on one of their flash sales which actually popped up as an ad on Instagram. Crazy price for such a high end board!
Yeah, that manifest was a fcking steal! I must admit, I like going to Larry Adler when I go to Jindy - They've got good odds and ends that you didn't know you needed until you got there (e.g. Helly Hansen rabbit fur bomber hat with rabbit fur poms hanging off the ear flaps), and the kind of snow gear that I like (Helly Hansen, MontBell, and it's nice to aspire to Arcteryx), and it's nice to be browsing through a store - even in a place like Jindy! - and not hear the words "hey bro" haha.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
another question:

I'm thinking if I get the stiffest bindings I can get and the stiffest boots, my setup is going to be ultra responsive, therefore more efficient and ultimately quicker edge to edge with less energy. Am I right in thinking this? What would the drawbacks be other than maybe the boots wont be as comfortable to walk in?

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
another question:

I'm thinking if I get the stiffest bindings I can get and the stiffest boots, my setup is going to be ultra responsive, therefore more efficient and ultimately quicker edge to edge with less energy. Am I right in thinking this? What would the drawbacks be other than maybe the boots wont be as comfortable to walk in?
The drawbacks:
Too responsive
Must like speed...like 50+mph
Stiller usually means more $
Stiff boots can be comfortable to walk in...especially AT boots
see https://www.snowboardingforum.com/threads/the-hardboot-ride-downhill.261147/

·
Registered
300 Posts
another question:

Not trying to talk you out of a responsive boot/binding setup, and "you'll only know if you go", but in my experience, the drawbacks of stiffness anywhere in your setup can include:
-- twitchiness / less forgiving of riding at low speeds, or when you're just in the mood to totally relax and mess around
-- less lateral/medial play (this one's important to me - it's why I highly rate Burton's Hinge and ReFlex systems, K2 Lien, etc)
-- E.g. when you're exhausted after an epic, long day on the hill, it's slushy in the afternoon and you're not quite on your game, stiffness can penalise you if you're not paying attention <<< I've been concussed this way.

Without outright telling you that you're wrong, I feel like selecting gear based on energy exertion (as opposed to riding style, the terrain you're riding, ability etc) is not the best way to go about it.

In the past, I've ridden at times when I've had an extremely bad back, collapsed arches in my feet, unfit etc. Any bit of help that I could get, to extend my time on the snow, I availed myself of. But would I have gone out and bought a pair of Burton X-Base to put on a Jones Carbon Flagship, for that version of me? Fck no!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I prefer stiffer bidings on my freeride boards and a softer binding on my freestyle boards but I use the same boot for eveything. For example my springbreak twin has union contact on it, my K2 simple pleasures and Manifest share my now pilots and I have switched from using the pillots on my Endeavor Archetype to a pair of Burton X-base EST after trying them on my mates Archetype. The Manifest could probably use an upgrade to the Now Drive as I sized up a little and use it as my hard charging board.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I honestly don't see a stiffer set up requiring an appreciable difference in energy expended. One downside to stiff is that it will transmit more 'small motion'. A softer set up will absorb some of the vibrations from really small ruts and bumps in rough terrain. The more of those vibrations transferred, the more your legs have to absorb, and that requires fine muscle activity, ie. Energy expended.

And yeah, don't see anything to gain by trying to snowboard lazily.

·
Registered
604 Posts
When your set up matches your riding style, you use less effort riding the way you want. Over the years, I've been going to a softer set up. It's working better for my riding style. I thought I needed the stiffest everything to charge hard, but I'm happier in softer boots and responsive bindings that have some lateral play.

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
When your set up matches your riding style, you use less effort riding the way you want. Over the years, I've been going to a softer set up. It's working better for my riding style. I thought I needed the stiffest everything to charge hard, but I'm happier in softer boots and responsive bindings that have some lateral play.
Op my evolution has been the opposite of WigMar's...but now writing this, kind of miss the softer messing around especially with the on-coming spring conditions

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yeah that's where I've headed over the last few years (re: softer setups -- mind you, boards that still have substance e.g. Rome MT, Burton SK, Marhar LJ). I too find myself on the hunt for more responsive bindings this season - I'm loving the look of the new 2021 Rome DOD, but will have to check 'em out against Nitro Teams and Ride A6 when we finally get them in store here.

Op my evolution has been the opposite of WigMar's...but now writing this, kind of miss the softer messing around especially with the on-coming spring conditions
You need to get yourself a setup for those warm slushy days, when you're thinking about frothy, ice-cold beers at the lodge exactly as much as spring time party laps.

·
Registered
885 Posts
@WigMar and I spent some time talking about this the other day. I'm on a yup with est cartels riding TM3s. I've always read that everything needs to be stiff stiff stiff to get that needed response.

Will while I was up in Colorado, I took off the stiffeners in the TM3s and really liked it. Rode that way for a day and a half and I honestly don't think I'm going to put them back. I might experiment with adding one back at a time but I found things to be pretty comfortable.

I rode his pentaquark like that as well and was ripping on it so I don't think it held me back. I think I'm also coming to learn that I really don't like super stiff boards for my riding style. Maybe that will change with time but who knows.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I've been gravitating towards a set up that gives me lateral freedom while staying responsive toe to heel. The feel of K2 tripod bindings (both Lien AT and Lineups with urathane highbacks) have been awesome for this. Together, boots and bindings are one unit on top of the board, instead of the traditional board and bindings being one unit. The urathane tongues and spines on my Ride Fuse boots keep front to back response while allowing more lateral flex. Urathane is soft when warm, and gets progressively stiffer as it gets colder. Therefore, both my boots and highbacks automatically soften for the slushy days and give more support on the cold bomber days. Even when it's really cold out, the entire set up feels softer than what I've rode in the past.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Ok, so I impulse bought a cheap but well reviewed board. Nidecker Merc Snowboard 2019.
Not a bad price and it seems to fit sort of what I'm looking for at the moment. I got the 159. What do you guys think? If nobody likes it, I'll send the son of a bitch back.
I think you'll be happy. Next time you can get the Area or the Tracer :)

I also have a Nidecker (the Tracer) and I really really like it. It's easy to put on edge and the sidecut is great. No idea how your old board is stiffness wise, but a stiffer board is harder to bend into the turning radius at lower speeds.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts