Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyyo,

I've looked all over the internet but haven't found a solid answer. Is the Proto CT butterable and can you use it for ground tricks? I want to get into ground tricks but my friends tend to stick to groomers, so I want something that I can use to have fun with but still keep up with them (that's why my mind is staying away from the Evo). I've read that it bends at 'all the right places' which might make it easier ... thoughts?

cheers!

·
Registered
60 Posts
What snowklinger said. It's a great all-round board (the hubby has one), good on groomers but still pressable and a fun ride.

·
Resident Snowman
609 Posts
not to thread jack but i wasnt aware that the evo was that unstable on groomers.. is it truly?
No, it isn't. It does have less edge hold then a proto because of the detuned edge when riding icy conditions.

The difficult part with an evo is carving pencil lines. The board doesn't absorb changes in there terrain as much as a proto as it is softer. So, it can be a bit trickier to keep front and back in line. I've successfully laid some sweet carves down the groomers with it, so any one can :)

EDIT: Changed to detuned edge, not blunted.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Good to hear, I just bought a 2013 and live on the east coast so I'm sure it'll get put through its paces

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
Can you snowboard? Do you know how to butter? Are you prepared to work for what your board does? If you answered yes to all these then congratulations you can do ground tricks. If you answered no you and your family will be whisked away to the Brad Buttler's Buttercamp of Doom where you will be forced to learn how to butter the muffin and endure Tri-Pod and we don't mean the snowboard trick!

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
No, it isn't. It does have less edge hold then a proto because of the blunted edge when riding icy conditions.

The difficult part with an evo is carving pencil lines. The board doesn't absorb changes in there terrain as much as a proto as it is softer. So, it can be a bit trickier to keep front and back in line. I've successfully laid some sweet carves down the groomers with it, so any one can :)
Actually the Evo used to have rounded tips, but the year the Proto came out, they blunted the tips on BOTH and they were shipped in '12 and '13 with the EXACT same shape from rails to contact points to tips.

The edge hold is different because of the softness of the evo, not a difference in shape.

This year they did some interesting stuff to the bottom that makes them a little more different but I belief they are still the same profile cut.

·
Resident Snowman
609 Posts
Actually the Evo used to have rounded tips, but the year the Proto came out, they blunted the tips on BOTH and they were shipped in '12 and '13 with the EXACT same shape from rails to contact points to tips.

The edge hold is different because of the softness of the evo, not a difference in shape.

This year they did some interesting stuff to the bottom that makes them a little more different but I belief they are still the same profile cut.
Sorry, I meant to say detuned edges. I hadn't had my first coffee yet :dunno:

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I have the Proto and an SL and I butter and jib on both. The proto being easier to butter and press. They both hold an awesome edge on the east coast ice and feel very stable racing down my friends after finding features to the side of a groomer and popping 180s and 3s with ease (compared to my skate banana).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts