Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to this forum.
I have been snowboarding once for 8 days a couple of years ago, and have just booked my second Trip. I'm looking to take it up as a hobby with a trip once a year at this point and want to buy a setup that will give me at least 5 years of occasional use. I don't have a firm budget, but could go up to $1000 for Board, Boots, Bindings and Pants (I have a nice all weather jacket that I will use this year and buy a ski jacket next year), although I would prefer to spend less unless there is some significant value represented by moving up in price ranges.

Only had a brief look so far and have come up with:
Board: Salomon Man's Board Snowboard - Demo 2014 | evo $500
Pants: Analog Remer - True Black 2012 in either True Black or Carbon. Probably prefer true black and I would appreciate it if any suggestions were in black (matches my current jacket and versatile for future jacket purchases). $230 reduced to 115.
I have no idea what I want for boots and bindings :dizzy:, I'm 182 cm tall and 75 kg if that gives any idea of what size I'm looking for.

I'm going to be hitting up the slopes in 3 and a half weeks so I can wait 2 and a half weeks for shipping.

Thanks in advance :laugh:

·
The Swiss Miss
7,448 Posts
Can't comment the board but get a proper snowboard jacket with snow skirt (a used one if you wanna save money). You don't want to have your jacket slipping up and snow in your shirt n and pants when falling and slipping on your back :blink:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't comment the board but get a proper snowboard jacket with snow skirt (a used one if you wanna save money). You don't want to have your jacket slipping up and snow in your shirt n and pants when falling and slipping on your back :blink:

This is the jacket I was thinking of using, as last time I went snowboarding I found by lunchtime I was only wearing a T-shirt and my pants anyhow - so it seemed like the one thing I could leave out so I could spend more on the board, boots and bindings. Will research this. As for the board, I really don't know anything about which board I want, I just knew that brand and liked the decal :dunno: Any suggestions would be really appreciated (types and where to buy for shipping to Australia) for a good value Intermediate board (completely happy with last years designs as I doubt it would make a massive amount of difference to me).

Thanks neni :)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The man's board will be a terrible choice for someone just starting out. You will benefit greatly and have more fun riding a softer board. Get a real snowboarding shell, not that lifestyle jacket you posted.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I'll buy a patagonia jacket to match next year when my Credit Card isn't already taking a $1000 hit + the cost of my holiday! I always get too hot anyway and take my jacket off so it seems like the least value for money.

I just spent 90 minutes on the phone to a representative from Ski, Snowboard, Wakeboard, Skateboard & the Freshest Clothes | evo discussing my past experiences, personal preferences and price range. We have come up with the following:
-2013 Lib Tech Attack Banana $400
-Burton Malavita Bindings $190
-K2 Maysis Boots (Sold on the whole 'Boa System') $190
(funnily enough this board, boots and bindings are his all mountain setup exactly)
-Patagonia Powder Bowl Pants in Black $225

and Possibly Burton APX Goggles $110-140. I already own gloves and goggles but I am very tempted to buy some new ones. Also the representative said that he will be able to offer me a discounted rate since I am buying 4-5 items at once so I am expecting $200+ discount of the $1155 total price tag right now.

Please tell me what mistakes I've made and why I am wasting my money, as I'd rather find out before I've signed on the dotted line :)

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
my only advise is to be careful buying your boots online. Try to get in a store and see how they fit. If you can, go to as many stores as you can and try on every boot in the store.

I'd hate to spend 200+ dollars on a pair of boots only to find out they were too narrow for my foot or they just didn't fit properly

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my only advise is to be careful buying your boots online. Try to get in a store and see how they fit. If you can, go to as many stores as you can and try on every boot in the store.

I'd hate to spend 200+ dollars on a pair of boots only to find out they were too narrow for my foot or they just didn't fit properly
Thanks for the top backstop, I'll definitely try and find a pair in a local shop to try on though they'll probably be $300+ here (I'm in Australia). Do you have any comments, positive or negative, on my board, binding, boots, pants and goggle choice? The guy on the phone seemed to want to lead me down the right path but a second opinion would be priceless for me at this point

·
Registered
451 Posts
i'm not sure what kind of riding you want to be doing, so can't comment much on the equipment... but surely you can get some cheaper pants somewhere? for one trip a year, i'd get some no name pants, and not spend more on them than boots or bindings!

·
Moving to the dark side...
1,428 Posts
Please tell me what mistakes I've made and why I am wasting my money, as I'd rather find out before I've signed on the dotted line :)
The mistakes are that you could probably negotiate the same rate of discount without buying new gloves or goggles...

So 2 mistakes as 2 not needed pieces of your purchase...

Be prepared to basically get the whole price worked out, then remove the 2 you don't need and ask a very simple question, are you prepared to lose the sale because i don't need those 2 items...??? I have been offered a rate of discount, on items i clearly do not need, so as to up your selling, isn't it or wouldn't it be better practice to offer a discount on the items i do need...???

Sounds like a very pushy sales man to me that wants more sales and is maybe commissions based...???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm looking for an all mountain setup. I'm not entirely sure what I'll be using it for, whatever takes my fancy I suppose. Eventually I'd like to be able to ride a half pipe and do some vert tricks, but I'd probably buy a new board if I was capable of that so just something that is versatile enough to get me through until that point whatever I decide to do. Versatility is the key for this setup, although it will predominantly be used for doing runs and learning the basics of other aspects of snowboarding.

I will probably end up paying $140 for the pants, and when compared to the prices in Australia for some Analogue pants or something like that it's actually about the same price so it makes a bit of sense to me in the fact that I get something awesome for the same price as I could buy some rubbish for in the shops around my place. Ideally I would actually look to get in a whole season at the snow fields which is possible but would take a years planning (hello next year) but I'm not counting my chickens at this point. There is also the possibility of a trip to the Swiss Alps in a year or so, but I didn't want to brag. They'll get some use over time, although I'm not sure how much. The only decision I've made at this point is that I'll be on the slopes every year from now on, this is my new hobby

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The mistakes are that you could probably negotiate the same rate of discount without buying new gloves or goggles...

So 2 mistakes as 2 not needed pieces of your purchase...

Be prepared to basically get the whole price worked out, then remove the 2 you don't need and ask a very simple question, are you prepared to lose the sale because i don't need those 2 items...??? I have been offered a rate of discount, on items i clearly do not need, so as to up your selling, isn't it or wouldn't it be better practice to offer a discount on the items i do need...???

Sounds like a very pushy sales man to me that wants more sales and is maybe commissions based...???
He's not commissions based, I actually asked him because I felt he deserved it - he basically taught me the basics of buying a snowboard when I called him and said I want this one because I like the picture. He only answered my questions, I had a lot of questions. I'm definitely buying a board, bindings, boots and pants - but I have memories of being in the shop last time when I was 16 looking at all these awesome goggles and only being able to afford dodgy ones - they have a tendency to fog. Now I can afford to get some nice goggles so I'm really, really tempted as I like the idea of spherical lenses - for some reason they almost seem like the most important part of my setup (along with the boots, so that I can see and my feet don't get sore). That said he is a salesman and I am cautious about trusting his recommendations 100% as I have also worked in sales and would appreciate any specific opinions of any of my selected products. I welcome any negative feedback, like if you think that board is a scourge on our planet and that any copy of that board should be burned and sent to space along with all accompanying evidence please tell me so I don't buy it. Conversely, if you've had a good experience let me know so I can have many good experiences like you blissfully sliding down some fresh powder :laugh:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just some added information, we were talking about a 167cm board for me given the fact that I'm 183 cm's tall and weigh 75 kg's (and I am expecting to gain about 10-15kg's, it's a long story) and I would prefer added manoeuvrability over top speed. Does this sizing sound about right? I am a very consistent size 10 US shoe (basically only ever buy size 10 US regardless of brand, but specifically size 10 Vans are my perfect fit)

·
1,428 Posts
See now, i WILL buy a board because i like the picture... Haha

If it doesn't ride well, it will end up on a wall as part of my history, but i feel that i must like the graphics or i will hate the board before i even ride it, that said, there are so many to choose from nowadays, that there is always going to be something you like that will suit your taste in graphics... ;)

As for Goggles, ALL goggles fog up, do not believe the hype...!!! Anti fog reduces the risk of this happening, but they will all do it...! I ride with Airwave, and they are £500 and still fog up, add into the goggles a screen for your data, and when they do they are no different from a £20 set of goggles... Haha. The lens is more important to me in choice for goggle nowadays, as light and lens are critical to having fun, if you can't see you can't enjoy yourself and it is that simple...!!!

Your choice in hardware is not something i know about, as i have never ridden that model, i rode a Skate Banana a couple of years ago, and hated it. But then i only spent a couple of hours with it, and i am very sure with time i may of liked it, but that is how it is sometimes...

The BOA system, well, it has draw backs i'm sure, but i can't think of any, and have never had them fail on me, and it is all i use, although i ride VANS, the system is still the same, i like the whole wind and be done, they do still stretch, (in my mind maybe), as i find i have to tighten a little sometimes once, maybe twice over the course of a day, but very easy to do while riding down a hill that is for sure... Just half a turn and it is done...!!!

Trousers, not sure about the brand as never had them, i use Burton Cargo Pants, i love all the pockets and they fit me without falling down around my knees. Black is the best choice of colour for sure, as they do not show dirt and go with anything, but as time goes on, you may get more adventurous with colour, although looking like a clown that cannot ride WILL get the piss taken out of you... Haha

Bindings, again, never used them so can't tell you, but don't be afraid to look at others as well, i tried flow last season and loved them, so much so i have 4 pairs of them now...!!! But they are not for everyone that is for sure...

·
The Swiss Miss
7,448 Posts
Oh dear... what is it with men and fancy goggles... :blink:
My cebe (in use since 7 years), no fog, perfectly good vision had cost below 100.
Don't know how prices are at yours, but can give you some numbers what I payed on stuff on sale: Patagomia pants 100 instead of 500, jacket (WITH SNOW SKIRT) 120 instead of 400, board around 300 instead of 590 and bindings 130 instead of 320.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know right @Kevin137, did you look at the graphic on the 2014 Mens Board? It's a nebulae birthing stars and if I ever am cool enough to do a mad trick then that is what I want everyone to see :yahoo: Seriously though, thanks for your in depth analysis of all the parts I have selected, I'm going to do some in depth research over the following days. I do have a Physics exam, but that isn't nearly so interested. Actually now having booked it all it's all I can think about, I probably should have held off for a couple of days.

Thanks for the feedback @Neni. I live in Australia so everything is going to cost twice as much as it should, that's a given. What model of Patagonia pants did you get if I can ask? That seems like an awfully good price, although Womens stuff did seem a little cheaper from my browsing (I'll probably end up paying 140 which doesn't seem to bad). Also thanks for the comparative prices, the pants and boots do seem a litte bit on the expensive price although the board is $200 cheaper than the next best price I can find so with the discounts they are willing to offer I think I can get a deal I'm happy with from a company that has treated me very well - I'd be unlikely to take my business elsewhere due to the service they have provided me alone, let alone the pricing they are offering me.

As for fancy goggles, Porches, big houses and expensive, vinegarized wine from the dark ages I think it may have something to do with the fairer sex.

·
1,428 Posts
My cebe (in use since 7 years), no fog, perfectly good vision had cost below 100.
I had goggles fog up every season i have ridden, i have never cleaned the lens inside os any goggles either, maybe it's just how i breath or something, hot stuff eh... ;) I can dream...

·
The Swiss Miss
7,448 Posts
I had goggles fog up every season i have ridden, i have never cleaned the lens inside os any goggles either, maybe it's just how i breath or something, hot stuff eh... ;) I can dream...
Do you wear a helmet? Does it fit tightly with the goggles? If yes, this could be the reason (helmet covers the upper ventilation ports). Never had fog issues, not even when riding in rain.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,460 Posts
Oakley Airbrakes! Only fogging I ever got was on the "Outside" if my breath somehow got directed that way. I. E. out from under improperly placed face mask or when my fat ass is huffing and puffing, bent over strapping in! ;)

Come to think of it, my cheap assed $40 Smith's never fogged either. ...And I run HOT on the slope too! I Bought the Airbrakes cuz I liked the look and wanted easily interchangable lenses.

·
1,428 Posts
Oakley Airbrakes! Only fogging I ever got was on the "Outside" if my breath somehow got directed that way. I. E. out from under improperly placed face mask or when my fat ass is huffing and puffing, bent over strapping in! ;)
Airwaves, not Airbrakes... ;)

It may be the face mask i use, as it gets a little cold, and i nearly always ride with one, but then we get temps down to -30 so it is not easy to ride without... Haha

There is plenty of space between the helmet and air intake, as the Airwave actually protrudes past the frame of most helmets anyway... SO plenty of cooling gets in... ;)

1 - 20 of 102 Posts