Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I liked the idea of this thread. So here's another go.

Brands we ALREADY know, and know well. Burton, Mervin, NS and their OEM's, Rome, Salomon, K2, Ride, Capita, Nitro, Flow. Probably a couple others, anyway that mostly covers it.

Some of my personal favorites for lesser known brands that get it: Echelon, Westin, Marhar, Signal, Stepchild, Venture, Dinosaurs Will Die...

·
Registered
922 Posts
ive heard alot of good things about Lobster and Bataleon.. i realize theyre probably still more on the well known side, but I've heard alot of good reviews about both. Personally, I've found a company I like and Ill probably stick with them since I dont get to demo a whole lot of boards out here and especially not the smaller brands, but I have had my eye on a Bataleon Evil Twin for awhile..

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
gentem stick, moss snowsticks, ogasaka, chimera, trapper, prior (they never rate a mention here)

·
Registered
18 Posts
+1 for signal. Great quality boards imo. Out of all my boards, rocker light def puts the biggest smile on my face. Just perfect for the ice coast.

·
Registered
922 Posts
did some research on the Lamar Volt..actually looks like a pretty sick deck if you like regular camber. I always thought of Lamar as low end but the graphics and the specs seem pretty cool.. one thing i cant understand is whether or not it is full twin or directional twin. their website is kinda confusing.

·
Registered
767 Posts
The finish on the venture boards is as good as any i've seen. tightest factory split on the market. if i could only afford one.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
My family all rides smoking. Very durable. High quality. We have met the owners, super chill. They actually do hand make all their stuff and have great warranty response. I'm probably gonna have to venture away from my kt22 and super parks next year for an awesymetrical and probably a buck ferton(like the design and graphics are cool for next year).

·
Registered
833 Posts
My family all rides smoking. Very durable. High quality. We have met the owners, super chill. They actually do hand make all their stuff and have great warranty response. I'm probably gonna have to venture away from my kt22 and super parks next year for an awesymetrical and probably a buck ferton(like the design and graphics are cool for next year).
Hey Argo I see smokin has a couple of new shapes out next year which look like more of a camrock profile? I would like to demo one of them as I prefer camber between the bindings...any info on the new stuff?

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
The dirt rocker profile is defined as flat in the middle but it's really a slight positive camber. With kicked up tips. That's my sons favorite profile for everything from SBX, park, pipe and general daily riding. The hooligan is the one he rides the most. For deep days he rides his buck ferton and for his big mountain comps he rides the buck, it's a camber rocker camber, they call it clash rocker. They also sell a true camber board with the tips kicked up in the super park, big wig and kt-22.

I like their clash rocker for everything. It's not as pronounced as other brands and has a slight bit more edge hold. They also have magna traction.

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
I actually bought my wife a 151 Dinosaurs Will Die Genovese. I think I've ridden it more than she has. :laugh:

It's a fun little bastard even though it's way undersized for me.

·
Registered
833 Posts
The dirt rocker profile is defined as flat in the middle but it's really a slight positive camber. With kicked up tips. That's my sons favorite profile for everything from SBX, park, pipe and general daily riding. The hooligan is the one he rides the most. For deep days he rides his buck ferton and for his big mountain comps he rides the buck, it's a camber rocker camber, they call it clash rocker. They also sell a true camber board with the tips kicked up in the super park, big wig and kt-22.

I like their clash rocker for everything. It's not as pronounced as other brands and has a slight bit more edge hold. They also have magna traction.
Yeah I ink the new shape his year is the thrash rocker profile which looks interesting. Also, love the clockwork orange graphics on the new hooligan!

zuzupopo / Snow Catalogues - Smokin

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
I saw the trapper boards first hand at a demo day at Louise last year, and to me the build quality wasn't there. They looked hand built, while my GFs prior looks like it could have come out of a factory doing hundreds of boards a day.

My Virus had great build quality, but you could see the Kevlar fibres exposed on the tip and tail. Not a big issue but in some ways you could tell it was hand built.

So far the Prior quality has impressed me the most from the hand-built guys.

·
Registered
12,613 Posts
Boards look good - where are they based?
They're based out of Vancouver and have their own R&D facility called the Archetype Lab. The boards are built in China. They ride super amazing and have some seriously awesome tech the problem is that getting into the U.S. has been a struggle for them.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.