Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it decrease a boot liner's longevity to take it out of the boot shell after every session?

This might sound like a dumb question, but I swear this happened with my old boots. It requires a bit of effort to take it out and put it in, and I noticed the material becoming a bit looser over time. Maybe my imagination.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
i take em out every night to dry it all and avoid the pestilential reek, never notice any wear and tear

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I have a local shop that I trust. They have told me NOT to remove my liners unnecessarily. I would like to hear what other people have to say on this issue also. I read a post this weekend that said you should remove your liners. So, I am uncertain also:dizzy:

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
My Factions are held in with velcro tabs, and i could totally see the tabs ripping loose if one wasn't cautious when removing them. That said, that velcro isn't doing anything when my foot is in the boot. I think as long as you open the shell all the way and grab the liner down low instead of yanking at the top, it shouldn't cause any damage at all. And the moisture left in there is going to do damage if not allowed to dry.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I just use one of those electric boot dryers for mine and keep the liners in all the time.

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
7,039 Posts
This is an interesting question, since I just bought some new 32 Focus Boa boots with liners. I've emailed 32. I'll post the response here.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I always pul the liner out. The one time I fogot to, I had to use about half a can of Febreze to get the musty water smell out. I couldn't imagine just leaving the liner in. They make them removeable for a reason.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
My view is that if you don't get the liners dry you're off to a stinky hell indeed, and that removing them to dry them out will achieve this. I don't have a dedicated boot dryer that blows air into the boot but I think that blowing air in there only works so well versus disassembling the boot/liner combo.

I also think that a day of riding flexes the boot and liner a zillion different ways while removing and putting the liner back in happens only once per day of riding. I'd think that the in and out of boot liner removal for drying would hardly affect the life of boots/liners given the stresses through a day of riding.

Not to hijack this thread but how long do folks think boots should last, if taking your liners out each day shortened the life of the boot by 10% then what is the cost. In my case I'm riding about 40 days per year, rolling over my boots about every 1.5 seasons. I just bought a new pair at year end sale prices that I'll switch to next January, and on a test run they were way stiffer and not packed out compared to my current boots, which have about 50 days on them so I'm pretty sure it's almost time to switch. Same boot and model each time.

If I didn't remove my liners they'd be so toxic I'd replace the boots more often, that's my tradeoff. If I can keep my boots from toxic stink they go a season and a half.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
I take my out every day after riding and dry both the boot shells and liners...also remove the foot beds. I put them on the diy dryer...no stink. Somedays are darn wet and the shells also gets soaked. I also use hurricane tape that make the liners slide in/out of the shells much more easily. see the boot faq sticky. I also do all kinds of mods to keep them fitting and working well...this winter even did a pop rivit on one of a boa pully that was starting to rip out. imho you are not going to do any or very little additional wear and will save yourself from the stink foot.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Suggestions for a good one? How's yours?
I just use the Original PEET Boot Dryer. Slap them on there at night and they are dry by the morning and it's safer than setting them near a regular heat source (for the boot I mean). It used thermal convection, whatever the fuck that means.

I should add that I sweat like a mofo and have had no mildew/odor problems using this method. I keep my aftermarket insoles in there as well. It's probably cheaper and fine to take the liners in and out but I like not having to mess around with them.

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
7,039 Posts
This is an interesting question, since I just bought some new 32 Focus Boa boots with liners. I've emailed 32. I'll post the response here.
From customer service:

Thank you for your interest in Thirty Two and our products. We appreciate your business. You can remove the liners to dry them, but we don't recommend leaving them next to a heater or anything. Leave them to air dry and you'll be fine.

I specifically asked about damage from taking them out too often, and they don't seem concerned about it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
From customer service:

Thank you for your interest in Thirty Two and our products. We appreciate your business. You can remove the liners to dry them, but we don't recommend leaving them next to a heater or anything. Leave them to air dry and you'll be fine.

I specifically asked about damage from taking them out too often, and they don't seem concerned about it.
Probably some guy from Thailand reading from a card. :D

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts