• 155x

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first time posting, so please go easy ;)

With coronavirus sending the world into quarantine, to keep myself busy I started looking at boards for next season to replace my 2018 Huck Knife. (hoping to pick up a new board in the end of season sale)

About me:
All mountain freestyle rider (20 days per year) looking for a playful board that can do it all. I’ll be spending equal amounts of time on groomers, in the park, off piste and in the pow, also doing the occasional backcountry day.
Weight: 170-175, height 5ft 8, with Size 10 (UK); 10.5 (US) boots (Adidas Tactical - slightly reduced footprint)
Currently riding a 155 Salomon Huck Knife with Malavita bindings

So far I've narrowed it down to a NS Proto Type Two, a Capita DOA or a GNU Riders Choice, and I'm leaning heavily towards the Proto Type Two... (happy to take alternative suggestions!)
Note, I will be using my current bindings on the new board, Burton Malavita Re:Flex.

I am however stuck on sizing though for the PTT. Based on specs, I’m in the middle of three board sizes - if I were stuck between just two sizes I’d normally I’d just say size it down and ride cause why waste time worrying....... but..... as I’m dropping £500+ on a board to last me a few years, I live in the UK where demos are limited, and currently Coronavirus is stopping me from going abroad and trying one.... I’d rather make an informed decision.
  • 154 - are my boots too big for this board and will my weight ruin some of the characteristics, e.g. pop, stability
  • 157 - are my boots too big, and will it be significantly less playful and agile and harder to turn/butter/press/jib than for example my 155 Huck Knife
  • 155x - the regular board is recommended for under a US 10 boot, and the wide is recommend for above a US11... I am a 10.5 and having never ridden a wide board I’m not sure how they feel as they are a whole centimetre wider across the entire board... are my boots too small for a wide, and does the width make it noticeably less playful and agile?
Just worried that if I get a regular board toe drag might ruin its carving ability, but if I get a wide that it might be too stiff, and my boots a little too small to get the power down over the edges as well... and about sizing, I’m worried if I get a 154, that my weight will be too much for it, and lose the pop and stability but a 157 might be more difficult to turn, press, butter, spin and jib...

I know there isn’t a HUGE amount either way with these boards, but i know these small differences can mean a lot to the way it rides...
I know there isn’t a definitive answer, I’m just looking for people’s opinions based on experience :)

Thanks in advance for your help/ridicule both are appreciated equally ;)
Stocky ?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
If bindings are large, you need the x in any case, and you'd risk drag on the regulars with a medium too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
155 Wide is pretty much perfect for you.
Thanks for the quick reply, how different would the wide feel vs a regular board, is it a huge difference in stiffness & reduced agility?

Also how would the 155x compare with my current Salomon Huck Knife (155 regular)

Hoping it’s going to be another level!

thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
The 155X PTT is pretty nimble with its sidecut and the RCR, it's a medium flex board, but will feel a little stiffer than the HK. It doesn't have great float though. Also, the PTT is renamed I think and they also have 1-2 other options in their catalog, you should check it out. Another option may be the Yes Greats, but that's camber, not sure if you want an RCR. Other similar playful all mountain options are the Yes Typo, Ride Algorhythm, or Capita Asymulator, again, camber.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Wide - better carving (width and torsional stiffness), more float, more stability, also on landings.

Regular - Easier spin initiation, quicker edge to edge, easier to butter.

You quickly adjust to the width. Don’t buy the recommendations that say wide from 11 US. These come from the times when snowboards were narrower and people were skidding around.
If you find it problematic to change the edges it’s your technique to improve, you have all the leverage needed.

I’m 9,5 US Tactical 275 mondo with 278 mm longer foot (and these have a super reduced foot print with 1,7-1,8 mm extra to the mondo) and most of my boards are still wide so I’m not limited in Euro carving.

I can take an all mountain-freestyle board being normal width but this is to help me improve my spins. If I had only one board it would still be a wide one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 155X PTT is pretty nimble with its sidecut and the RCR, it's a medium flex board, but will feel a little stiffer than the HK. It doesn't have great float though. Also, the PTT is renamed I think and they also have 1-2 other options in their catalog, you should check it out. Another option may be the Yes Greats, but that's camber, not sure if you want an RCR. Other similar playful all mountain options are the Yes Typo, Ride Algorhythm, or Capita Asymulator, again, camber.
For my type of riding, what would you recommend a PTT or a Yes The Greats?

·
Registered
443 Posts
For my type of riding, what would you recommend a PTT or a Yes The Greats?
You’ve been riding Salomon Huck Knife which is a RCR board. PTT is a different profile CRC and the CRC is less suited for carving groomers, generally less stable feel.

I haven’t been on the Huck Knife but I’ve had and ridden for multiple days Salomon Assassin 160W 2018 and the new Greats 154 2019 (I still ride it as my shred buddy got it from me).

If you haven’t set your mind on the PTT I’d stick to the RCR profile unless you want to try a CRC board.

The Greats is a playful all mountain freestyle all-rounder.
You will lose some pop compared to the Huck Knife (my Assassin was one of the poppiest boards I’ve owned so I assume the Huck Knife is poppy as fuck as well) but it will be way more suited for Euro carving with your bigger boots. Super buttery and, for a twin,
it has a great float in slush and powder (surface and the rocker in the tips).
Due to a tight sidecut like Yes Optimistic (that I have) or Lib Orca or Ride Warpigs/Superpigs it lacks at high speed long turn carving (physics) but it’s great at low/medium speed carves. Excellent grip on ice for a non-full stiff camber board.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You’ve been riding Salomon Huck Knife which is a RCR board. PTT is a different profile CRC and the CRC is less suited for carving groomers, generally less stable feel.

I haven’t been on the Huck Knife but I’ve had and ridden for multiple days Salomon Assassin 160W 2018 and the new Greats 154 2019 (I still ride it as my shred buddy got it from me).

If you haven’t set your mind on the PTT I’d stick to the RCR profile unless you want to try a CRC board.

The Greats is a playful all mountain freestyle all-rounder.
You will lose some pop compared to the Huck Knife (my Assassin was one of the poppiest boards I’ve owned so I assume the Huck Knife is poppy as fuck as well) but it will be way more suited for Euro carving with your bigger boots. Super buttery and, for a twin,
it has a great float in slush and powder (surface and the rocker in the tips).
Due to a tight sidecut like Yes Optimistic (that I have) or Lib Orca or Ride Warpigs/Superpigs it lacks at high speed long turn carving (physics) but it’s great at low/medium speed carves. Excellent grip on ice for a non-full stiff camber board.
I’m not tied to the Proto, it just seems to be the one most people recommend!

It sounds like the Yes Greats might work better for me, although again, I’m in between sizes... would you recommend a 154 or a 156 for my specs?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Recently bought a DOA 158 wide and kinda regretting it. I’m an 11 boot. The regular 158 is 254mm waist and the wide 260mm. It does make a difference when riding, it feels much different

·
Registered
443 Posts
I’m not tied to the Proto, it just seems to be the one most people recommend!

It sounds like the Yes Greats might work better for me, although again, I’m in between sizes... would you recommend a 154 or a 156 for my specs?
For all mountain freestyle and pow riding I’d get the 156. For more park and some all mountain the 154.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts