Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need a little help picking my board and get advantage of the offers from mid-end season.
Sorry, I know this is the 873986th post on this topic, but I haven’t found what I need.
I am a 5’11 and 163 lbs freerider. I like riding on powder and I go off trail always when it’s possible, I like also do some natural jumps, hike to get some more fresh snow and tree runs. When off trail is too hard, or when I ride with friends on skis, I do groomed trails and like to do them as fast as possible. Fast is the only way carving can be fun. I like also to go as fast as my friends on skis. I almost never go to the park. I dont do rails nor the halfpipe, but sometimes I kick some jumps.

I like to go fast and I want a stable board. I own a '07 custom X 160cm and I was thinking on replacing it with the same model, probably a 158 this time. The board is very fast and responsive, I cant complain. However after a full day of riding on powder my back leg burns. Maybe that is normal but I could use a little help of technology as well.

I want a board with a good performance on powder and that allows me to bomb groomed runs. Probably its difficult to get both. I would like the performance of the custom X on trails, combined with the properties of a hybrid (rocker-camber) board on powder (a hybrid custom x? vapor?).
After a little research (on internet and this forum) and some friend’s opinions I’m not sure about getting another custom X. mostly because of the performance on powder, but am afraid of getting a rocker board with a poor performance, or not too stable on groomed trails. So I need some help. If what I lose on stability is too much I would sacrifice the less floatation on powder. I don’t know also how different from my board a ’13 custom X is, perhaps it has more flotation. I could also compensate it by buying a longer board.

My search hat brought me to these boards below, but I will appreciate it if you have another suggestions
Burton custom X
Burton vapor
Burton custom flying V
Never Summer F1
Rome Anthem
Libtech hot knife c3 btx
Palmer honeycomb pro
Ride Highlife UL
Ride Machete GT

Excuse for my bad English but I am from Austria :) . thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm looking for something similar as well. I'm looking for Rocker-Camber-Rocker boards.

NS are all CRC and so are lib techs.

Rome has one board thats RCR, and Burton has the hybrids that are all RCR.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I'm looking for something similar as well. I'm looking for Rocker-Camber-Rocker boards.

NS are all CRC and so are lib techs.

Rome has one board thats RCR, and Burton has the hybrids that are all RCR.
Ride Highlife UL, Ride Berzerker, K2 Slayblade, K2 Turbo Dream, Rossi Krypto might work for you. All have some element of camber or flat camber between the bindings instead of rocker.

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
All three of ya, go look into Venture snowboards. All they do is make stiff freeride decks. They are some of the best people in the industry.

If nothing strikes your fancy there I'd personally point you at the Highlife, Salomon Mans Board or a K2 Ultra Dream. All will do what your looking for but with different approaches. The Highlife is the high speed tank, power all the time. The K2 is more of the surf/skate influenced freerider. And the Mans sits somewhere in the middle. Aggressive and precise when you push it, lazy if you get lazy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would second the above poster's advice to look for a RCR variant. I was in almost the exact same spot and chose the NS Raptor but did not like the rocker between my feet when riding fast on hard snow.

The new LibTech C3 profile has camber between the feet but they don't make it in a directional freeride board yet, only twins. The other option is Prior in Whistler. You might like their Men's Freeride or Spearhead.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The more research I do on board shape the more confused I get.

Seems like there are a ton more CRC boards than RCR boards.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The more research I do on board shape the more confused I get.

Seems like there are a ton more CRC boards than RCR boards.
If you flat base at high speeds, rocker between your feet can make the ride more squirrelly then camber I believe. But if you carve, even at high speeds, the side cut plays just as an important of a role as the profile. CRC boards are fine for carving at speed.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you flat base at high speeds, rocker between your feet can make the ride more squirrelly then camber I believe. But if you carve, even at high speeds, the side cut plays just as an important of a role as the profile. CRC boards are fine for carving at speed.
I'm not a fast rider, I want something more playful and agile then my full camber board.

I was going to go to like a 155cm board and a hybrid setup, but I'm just confused on which to go for.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Mel, you bring up a good topic that I am sure few of us completely understand; sidecut.

Does anyone know of a chart displaying the basic sidecut / size of carve / style of riding relationship. :dunno:

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Mel, you bring up a good topic that I am sure few of us completely understand; sidecut.

Does anyone know of a chart displaying the basic sidecut / size of carve / style of riding relationship. :dunno:
Well, there's hyper progressive which is an infinite number blended together following a single radii, then there's 5 radial, dual degressive, dual progressive, triple progressive, triple degressive, radial, dual unblended, triple unblended, mellow Mag, Mag7 and 5, equalizer 3 and 5, EquaRad, blown contact pts, Variogrip...

And every one of those changes its behavior based on core profile, internal layup, rider stance, and camber style. Wanna try and make a comprehensive chart with all those variables?

The very basics: single radii is predictable, smooth and suited well for park. Deeper and more radii blended together lend to more response and harder/deeper carves. The smaller the number the tighter carves can be made. Of course that all gets ruined when you start doing stuff like blowing out contact pts or using straight lines in the curves...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the answers.

so the NS f1 and the LIb should be no alternatives for me.
and the Ride Highlife or capita BSOD are to consider.

what about the burton boards?. should the vapor or the flying V be some hybrid versions of the custom and custom x? some experience with those boards?
and what about the palmer honeycomb?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Don't forget the YES Pick your Line. Super stable on groomers, unsinkable in Pow, very damp und R-C-R profile. My favorite freeride deck ever.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm not a fast rider, I want something more playful and agile then my full camber board.

I was going to go to like a 155cm board and a hybrid setup, but I'm just confused on which to go for.
Freeride boards are built for stability at speed and tend to be the least playful of all board types and they tend to be longer than a 155. If you don't plan to go that fast, you don't need something stiff. It seems you're looking for a more all mountain board. NS and Gnu make good, playful, all mountain boards.

Specifically check out the Gnu Riders choice or Billy Goat and the NS SL or Proto

Don't have sophisticated technical knowledge of side cuts as some, but the freeride boards tend to have larger radii sidecut for dishing put large high speed carves. They also tend to have various tech like magnetraction and variogrip.

I found magnetraction great on ice, but a little too grippy for everything else, but there are different degrees by which manufacturers employ it on their boards. I have an NS SL with variogrip and I find it a good balance.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Freeride boards are built for stability at speed and tend to be the least playful of all board types and they tend to be longer than a 155. If you don't plan to go that fast, you don't need something stiff. It seems you're looking for a more all mountain board. NS and Gnu make good, playful, all mountain boards.

Specifically check out the Gnu Riders choice or Billy Goat and the NS SL or Proto
How about Lib?

I'll check out those three and make a decision. Seems like you're right I just want a playful All mountain board.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Like OP, mainly fr, no park, off piste when ever possible, yet love to speed run groomers on a groomer day. Highly recommend billygoat...got the c2 billy its really nimble and sure footed...however the c3 is more like a cambered and alittle more stable at bombing. Both have mellow mag which imho is better than full mag...i.e., grippy but no grippy. The slight compromise is that if keeping up with skiers on firm/ice groomed...skiers are going to be faster...but with a little pow you will match them and alot of pow you will be blowing past them...at least that's my experience on a good day.

·
Registered
233 Posts
How about Lib?

I'll check out those three and make a decision. Seems like you're right I just want a playful All mountain board.
Sorry, no experience with Lib. I only really know of their T. Rice line, but they're mid-wide boards and supposedly stiffer than the ratings suggest. Definitely meant for the advanced rider with semi-big feet. Just don't be fooled by watching Travis Rice ride around in it easy. He can ride down a mountain in a steel beam and make it seem playful!

If you want a playful board, anything with rocker will fit the bill. If you still want to carve with some speed while maintaining playfulness, anything with a camber-rocker-camber profile with a medium stiff flex may suit your needs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts