Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any opinions and experiences?

Not sure where to start...

So basically I ride with a group of about 15 a few times a year in Colorado. Only one of us has the Oakley Airwave goggles. It's hard to justify spending $550-$650 on goggles, but I'm curious that it might be worth it. Based off of a few things...
1. Buddy tracking. We always seem to get seperated and its a pain in the ass trying meet up. And I like to know where my girlfriend is because I don't something to happen and I can't find her. Especially riding trees transversing to other runs , thats usually where we get separated.
2. Controlling my phone with the remote on my wrist/arm. Music, text, phone calls etc.
3. GPS and trail maps. I think that could be very helpful when riding unfamiliar areas and also determining which path to take to get where we want to go.

All the other features are just for fun, and I wouldn't need it at my small local mountains.

There is also an app that my friends can use that don't have the actual goggles to see theyre location..

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
If you're riding backcountry and don't know where your group is you have bigger problems than what goggles you are using. You should probably learn a thing or two about BC safety.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're riding backcountry and don't know where your group is you have bigger problems than what goggles you are using. You should probably learn a thing or two about BC safety.
For the sake of arguements I will remove back country riding out of the entire thread. Lets stick with riding trees and other terrain. Do you now have any light to share on this or will you find another way to try and belittle a simple inquiry?

·
Moving to the dark side...
1,428 Posts
I have the Oakley Airwaves, as does a friend of mine, and another has the Mod Live in another brand of goggles, but the same internal unit...

We do not use the buddy tracking as it uses data, and mapping doesn't work for us over here in Norway, but we still use them, text and calls is a good feature to have, as is the music feature...

Would i use the buddy tracking... Probably if the maps for Norway existed... But not until there where more of us using them...

But i bought them for a different primary reason, we use Contour+2's in this household, so when i board with my 7 year old stepson, he uses my camera and i connect to my goggles, so i see what his camera sees, i know it is only good for up to 50 metres... But it means i am not constantly looking back for him, and if he falls i see straight away and stop for him... That is where it is worth it's money for me...

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the Oakley Airwaves, as does a friend of mine, and another has the Mod Live in another brand of goggles, but the same internal unit...

We do not use the buddy tracking as it uses data, and mapping doesn't work for us over here in Norway, but we still use them, text and calls is a good feature to have, as is the music feature...

Would i use the buddy tracking... Probably if the maps for Norway existed... But not until there where more of us using them...

But i bought them for a different primary reason, we use Contour+2's in this household, so when i board with my 7 year old stepson, he uses my camera and i connect to my goggles, so i see what his camera sees, i know it is only good for up to 50 metres... But it means i am not constantly looking back for him, and if he falls i see straight away and stop for him... That is where it is worth it's money for me...
That's a very wise move. That's how I feel about my girl, she rides really good but is fairly new to the sport and is still learning mountain safety. For example we were riding down groomers and I like to go into the trees because it allows me to slow down without stopping and waiting on her but when I came back out I couldn't find her. I was terrified that she followed me into the trees and got hurt, tho I had already told her to stay on that same run and I will pop back out. (this was years ago tho, now she can shred) Ever since then I make sure to know where she is at all times.

Have you tried emailing recon instruments to see if they can get a map of your mountain so that you can download it?

·
Moving to the dark side...
1,428 Posts
Recon are not the most forward moving company... They still haven't resolved the "JUMP" analytics that we have been complaining about that was one of the main features on the goggles, and while it has been raised, they just keep saying we are working on it...

BUT i am not one to take it laying down, and i used a BRITISH credit card to buy the goggles, which gives me protection, they answered my email, and have basically said it will be fixed for this winter, if not, they will be returned for a full refund as NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE and if i don't get a refund, then my credit card company will refund and charge them back... Got to love british systems for protecting consumers...

As for mapping, they do not cover ANY scandinavian countries, and as far as i can tell, have no plans too, they purchase there maps from a company that obviously doesn't cover Norway... So i hold my breath waiting to see if that will change, but that is not a primary concern, as i new the area was not covered before i bought them...!

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
For the sake of arguements I will remove back country riding out of the entire thread. Lets stick with riding trees and other terrain. Do you now have any light to share on this or will you find another way to try and belittle a simple inquiry?
So what you're saying is rather than learn some BC etiquette and safety you'll just ignore it all together. Good job!

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
So what you're saying is rather than learn some BC etiquette and safety you'll just ignore it all together. Good job!
Leave it. I doubt the OP has ever ridden real backcountry anyway. And even if he has/is ever going to, this your approach is unlikely to instill the correct attitude in him. Of course, there is always Darwin's law...

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
Leave it. I doubt the OP has ever ridden real backcountry anyway. And even if he has/is ever going to, this your approach is unlikely to instill the correct attitude in him. Of course, there is always Darwin's law...
He claims to ride CO I just want to make sure he's not going to be putting anyone I know in harms way.

·
Registered
271 Posts
He claims to ride CO I just want to make sure he's not going to be putting anyone I know in harms way.
Ya know... I understand being a douche to someone who asks a stupid question. Everyone hates morons. But this dude asked a legit question about Recon goggles. No where in there did he state that he was going back country skiing. In fact, if you actually read his original post you could gather that he pretty much does resort only riding. I mean I understand you're an angrysnowboarder and all, but if you are just a douche to everyone people are going to ignore you when you actually give serious advice. Eventually you're just going to look like another angry interwebz troll.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
Ya know... I understand being a douche to someone who asks a stupid question. Everyone hates morons. But this dude asked a legit question about Recon goggles. No where in there did he state that he was going back country skiing. In fact, if you actually read his original post you could gather that he pretty much does resort only riding. I mean I understand you're an angrysnowboarder and all, but if you are just a douche to everyone people are going to ignore you when you actually give serious advice. Eventually you're just going to look like another angry interwebz troll.
That is not true. The OP changed/edited his post after BA had responded to it - initially he talked about backcountry riding.

·
Registered
848 Posts
How was BA being a douche? He brought up safety concerns with him wanting to use tech and not the right training. Did he do it in his normal condescending way yeah of course but who cares cause he was right to do it. Even if the OP meant side country not back country lots of people still get hurt or die in CO every year cause of lack of training. Hell people with tons of knowledge still get hurt or die in the side country. Cause they do what the OP was wanting to do in the begining jump the rope and go off the resort 100% unprepared thinking cause I took a lift up here all will be ok. Here is a good article from powder mag about how the word side country is very misleading.

The Word

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
I get the feeling that m2m is probably not venturing outside the ski area ropes. Some people will listen and make an effort to warn them that there dangers you need to know about. Others won't and hopefully stay out of trouble. Then there are those from both groups who end up losing their life or a friends life because of missing a clue, just ignoring the obvious or being completely clueless that they are in life threatening danger.

The worst part is not the people who die but who is left behind. Survivors, friends, and family suffer. It is a tough thing to go through.

Add to that the Colorado snow pack is flat out deadly. 11 people were buried and killed here last year. 11. Think about it. The next closest death toll was probably Utah and I believe they had four or five deaths. We accounted for almost 1/3 of the deaths for year in the US.

So m2m, not to be a dick, but if you are going outside the ropes you should probably look at a class. Depending on what you are doing, a basic avalanche awareness class might be enough. Those are often free and should help you decide if what you are doing is a mistake or reasonable. You can pm me for more info. I do a lot of volunteer work in this arena.

This stuff is also not hard. It is surprisingly easy to learn how to travel safely in avalanche terrain. Putting it to practice everytime you go out is the bitch. One mistake and that might be all you get.

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
Scroll down dumbass.

For the sake of arguements I will remove back country riding out of the entire thread.
Feel stupid yet?

Retract previous statement and then post accordingly.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You obviuosly have reading and comprehension difficulty. I thought I made it very clear about avoiding an arguement and no where in my thread did I ask for your "advice" on BC. If I remember correctly it was about Recon goggles. In my experience, people that call other people stupid or any other degrading names are making up for a lack of something. I find it funny that you know how to spell etiquette and even use it in a sentence, yet you can't seem to apply it to your personal life. I don't claim anything nor have I even once spoke of my "snowboard" experience but you and you're group of cheer leaders sure seem to know me well. Wait, you mean you guys just like to blurt out statements with no facts. hmm. Sounds to me like a look in the mirror would do you some good. The word hypocrite fits you well.

"Because someone has to call it how they see it" sound familiar? A person that calls it how they see it does not do it by talking down to others or calling people stupid. They just tell the bare truth in a straight forward way. They don't say bits of truth smothered in arrogance and egotistical belittling.

You're friend,
M2M

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I get the feeling that m2m is probably not venturing outside the ski area ropes. Some people will listen and make an effort to warn them that there dangers you need to know about. Others won't and hopefully stay out of trouble. Then there are those from both groups who end up losing their life or a friends life because of missing a clue, just ignoring the obvious or being completely clueless that they are in life threatening danger.

The worst part is not the people who die but who is left behind. Survivors, friends, and family suffer. It is a tough thing to go through.

Add to that the Colorado snow pack is flat out deadly. 11 people were buried and killed here last year. 11. Think about it. The next closest death toll was probably Utah and I believe they had four or five deaths. We accounted for almost 1/3 of the deaths for year in the US.

So m2m, not to be a dick, but if you are going outside the ropes you should probably look at a class. Depending on what you are doing, a basic avalanche awareness class might be enough. Those are often free and should help you decide if what you are doing is a mistake or reasonable. You can pm me for more info. I do a lot of volunteer work in this arena.

This stuff is also not hard. It is surprisingly easy to learn how to travel safely in avalanche terrain. Putting it to practice everytime you go out is the bitch. One mistake and that might be all you get.
I appreciate you're concern and you're offer, but you're love for BA and similiar tactics leads me to believe that it's in my best interest to be advised by someone I can respect. I know you will take offense to this but I mean no harm.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I appreciate you're concern and you're offer, but you're love for BA and similiar tactics leads me to believe that it's in my best interest to be advised by someone I can respect. I know you will take offense to this but I mean no harm.
I think it's in your best interest to stop trolling this website and move on to easylivin

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,459 Posts
M2M, YOU mentioned in the OP, (before editing it out,) that you were losing track of people in BC. BA pointed out that that was a bigger issue than what "hip Hi Tech" goggles you were going to wear!

...and he was correct! If you go into backcountry and lose track of your people or they you, You have bigger problems than goggles. Worse, you are endangering yourself and anybody that has to come looking for your dumb ass!

Those "Cheerleaders" as you called them, some of whom frequently disagree with BA, recognized the truth of that statement because unlike you,..

THEY CAN AND DO RIDE BC ...and do so on a regular basis! But once again, you choose to ignore people who KNOW THEIR SHIT simply because you feel slighted!!!

Forget BA & his particular brand of internet bluntness! Killclimbz is the Admin. here, and he politely offered you some advice about how to get the most from your time here after your last forum encounter with BA & the rest of us "cheerleaders,.." NOW he goes and offers to help you in this thread so you could maybe learn something, progress and get more out of your riding,... and because YOU don't like that he hasn't jumped all over BA for hurting your widdle feawings, your going to refuse expert help and disrespect him??????

Fuck You and your "Etiquette!!!! I'd rather learn from experienced people, whether I like them or not, how to safely venture into & survive BC so I can ride in some of the most amazing mountains and snow conditions imaginable! I care a shitload more about getting out and snowboarding than I do some interwebz slight to my ego!!!

You're Hopeless!!! :dunno:

....and NOW, for something completely different!

UNDERBOOB & YOGA PANTS!!!!!

awesome_zpsf94e62bb.jpg

underboob.jpeg

large.jpg

sexy-girls-yoga-pants-18-e1301628356542.jpg

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.