Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

So I'm looking at the Roxy Ally BTX 2015, size 151. I've looked at several different websites and have found out that it comes in regular women's width and in LN (Less Narrow), the LN is 251 waist width, and the 'regular' width is 242. I have size 8 UK boots (9 mens US) would this be a good width, or perhaps too wide?

Thanks for any suggestions :)

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Less Narrow ? :WTF:

Is this a new term due to the fact that "Wide" is not a politically correct term when describing something associated with the female gender?

:brickwall:
Is rather funny term and you're probably correct in why they use it. But I'm guessing a 'less narrow' is close to a mens standard with regular womens boards being a mens narrow.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
weird

Less Narrow ? :WTF:

Is this a new term due to the fact that "Wide" is not a politically correct term when describing something associated with the female gender?

:brickwall:
Haha yeh, what I thought too. Don't really understand the point. Should just be called 'Women's Wide Snowboard' or something. Can't imagine anyone being 'offended' by it or anything :S

·
Premium Member
5,537 Posts
Hi Nikita,

From your other thread you had noted that your foot is 25.0 cm. You do not want the LN board. It is 25.1 cm at the waist, but nothing happens at the waist. Boot size does not determine the correct board width. Board width should be decided based on your barefoot length compared to the board width at the inserts which you will use.

This LN is 25.9 cm at the center inserts. When you factor in standard stance angles your effectve foot length will drop from 25 to ~24. That will leave your foot almost 2 cm within the confines of the board. You will be much happier on the narrower board.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Nikita,

From your other thread you had noted that your foot is 25.0 cm. You do not want the LN board. It is 25.1 cm at the waist, but nothing happens at the waist. Boot size does not determine the correct board width. Board width should be decided based on your barefoot length compared to the board width at the inserts which you will use.

This LN is 25.9 cm at the center inserts. When you factor in standard stance angles your effectve foot length will drop from 25 to ~24. That will leave your foot almost 2 cm within the confines of the board. You will be much happier on the narrower board.
Hey thanks for your suggestions. One question, please tell me how you find info on the measurements at the binding inserts; I would love to know, as it's never posted anywhere, and it is obviously a helpful thing for people to know when they would like to know the width of any boards found online. I'm am definitly not the only one wanting to know widths, and for some reason websites only ever want to tell you the width at the waist.. and why?? it doesn't really mean all the much; as you've said.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Photos

Wiredsport, Thank you for letting me know the measurment at the binding inset, it's really helpful to know that, and wish they were published.
According to what you've told me, my boyfriend's Snowboard, at the mid insets measures 2mm wider than mine, so put my boots on his board to see what it was like.

I tried my boot with his bindings too (just to measure on the board but I think they are a little big to maybe ignore them) but I took a photo of my boot at 0'0 stance then a photo of my boot at '15 which is what I'm most likely to ride at. I'm not sure how much overhang it should have to be honest, does anyone think this looks about right, or too wide?
I'd rather get the 24.2 width I think, would it be better? if I can find it, but at the moment I've not found it for sale.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,537 Posts
Wiredsport, Thank you for letting me know the measurment at the binding inset, it's really helpful to know that, and wish they were published.
According to what you've told me, my boyfriend's Snowboard, at the mid insets measures 2mm wider than mine, so put my boots on his board to see what it was like.

I tried my boot with his bindings too (just to measure on the board but I think they are a little big to maybe ignore them) but I took a photo of my boot at 0'0 stance then a photo of my boot at '15 which is what I'm most likely to ride at. I'm not sure how much overhang it should have to be honest, does anyone think this looks about right, or too wide?
I'd rather get the 24.2 width I think, would it be better? if I can find it, but at the moment I've not found it for sale.

Hi Nikita,

To reiterate what was expressed in the earlier thread, your foot is 25 cm (size 7) but your boot is 27 cm (size 9). I cannot suggest strongly enough that you not try to size your board to a boot that is 2 full sizes too large. This creates numerous problems. Please post photos of your bare foot, centered width wise, at you actual stance width and angles on this same board.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,969 Posts
Hi Nikita,

To reiterate what was expressed in the earlier thread, your foot is 25 cm (size 7) but your boot is 27 cm (size 9). I cannot suggest strongly enough that you not try to size your board to a boot that is 2 full sizes too large. This creates numerous problems. Please post photos of your bare foot, centered width wise, at you actual stance width and angles on this same board.

Thanks!
Nikita...disregard my previous post...pay attention to wired...up on think about this I always stand on a board in my sock feet at the inserts to get an idea of if the width is going to work.

Wired is all about being precise with the feet...and he likes to feel, touch and see the peds...its just his thing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Photos (no one wants to see my bare feet)

Hi Nikita,

Thanks!

Hey here are some photos of what I think you wanted to see. (sorry bad choice of sock colour :/ but just thin normal socks) Again, this isn't my board and is 4mm wider at the binding inserts that the one I've been looking at. My boots are 1 size bigger than my feet though, I'm size 7 UK, and my boots are size 8 UK.

Thank you :)

Attachments

·
The Swiss Miss
7,227 Posts
Hey here are some photos of what I think you wanted to see. (sorry bad choice of sock colour :/ but just thin normal socks) Again, this isn't my board and is 4mm wider at the binding inserts that the one I've been looking at. My boots are 1 size bigger than my feet though, I'm size 7 UK, and my boots are size 8 UK.

That board is too wide, also a 4mm more narrow board is too wide.

I try to explain so you understand the physics behind it why everybody here tries to convince you to go with the correct boot and board size.
For a frontside turn, you need to pressure the frontside edge. The main force point where you can apply pressure is your forefoot ball. The farer away the ball is from the edge, the less leverage you have i.e. you apply the force not to the edge but rather in the middle of the board with hardly leverage i.e. you have to muscle waaay more to get the board to turn. If the ball is closer to the edge, turning gets easier. Easier with every milimeter.
It doesn't matter that the tip of your too large boot is close to the edge, your foot ball isn't. The empty tip of the boot won't transfer any pressure to the edge. You can only shift your pressure spot by shifting your binding more to the front edgebut then you loose leverage to the backside edge.
Sure, one can ride like this, but it costs you a lot of responsiveness and you will have to work way harder to turn such a boat boot-board combination than on one which fits the foot size.

·
Premium Member
5,537 Posts

Hi Nikita,

Thanks for your pictures. It is important that you not consider the boots that you have. We never use boot size to determine the correct board width becuase that allows boot sizing errors to also create errors in board sizing. Additionally, your 25 cm foot equates to a UK 6 (not 7 or 8). Most importantly, regardless of the boot size that you will choose, your board needs to be fit to your 25 cm actual foot length only.

25 cm is a very average foot size for women and should never consider a "wide" or "less narrow" board.

STOKED!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Nikita,

Thanks for your pictures. It is important that you not consider the boots that you have. We never use boot size to determine the correct board width becuase that allows boot sizing errors to also create errors in board sizing. Additionally, your 25 cm foot equates to a UK 6 (not 7 or 8). Most importantly, regardless of the boot size that you will choose, your board needs to be fit to your 25 cm actual foot length only.

25 cm is a very average foot size for women and should never consider a "wide" or "less narrow" board.

STOKED!
Good day sir! And sorry for borrowing your thread, hope its ok. So i have the same problem but the other way around. How much overhang should there be? None? Or is there any specific overhang that is recommended? I mean, i like to carve a lot so to much overhang would of course cause drag (Im size 12US, 30cm long feet)

Thanx in advance!
Edin

·
Premium Member
5,537 Posts
Good day sir! And sorry for borrowing your thread, hope its ok. So i have the same problem but the other way around. How much overhang should there be? None? Or is there any specific overhang that is recommended? I mean, i like to carve a lot so to much overhang would of course cause drag (Im size 12US, 30cm long feet)

Thanx in advance!
Edin
Hi Edin,

Typically we look for between .1 and 1 cm of barefoot overhang both toe and heel. That allows leverage and control without excessive drag. Board width, stance width, stance angle and of course foot dimensions are the primary variables which are in play. We will assume for advanced carving in soft boots that you are already wearing your mondopoint boot size. Binding rise can also help minimize drag as can sole boot design. So, to get you some accurate info please let us know where you are for all of those factors.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Edin,

Typically we look for between .1 and 1 cm of barefoot overhang both toe and heel. That allows leverage and control without excessive drag. Board width, stance width, stance angle and of course foot dimensions are the primary variables which are in play. We will assume for advanced carving in soft boots that you are already wearing your mondopoint boot size. Binding rise can also help minimize drag as can sole boot design. So, to get you some accurate info please let us know where you are for all of those factors.
Mondo: 30.00, board i have right now: T.Rice 164.5W. Waist width: 26.7, Stance width: 21.5", Angles: 18 & -15

·
Premium Member
5,537 Posts
Mondo: 30.00, board i have right now: T.Rice 164.5W. Waist width: 26.7, Stance width: 21.5", Angles: 18 & -15
Hi Edin,

so you are looking good. You are going to be at an edge to edge board width of roughly 27.7 at your stance width. 30.0 (foot length) minus 27.7 (board width) minus 1.0 (estimated adjustment for stance angle) puts you at 1.3 cm of total barefoot overhang or .65 cm toe and heel. That is in the ideal range. You can check your exact overhang by removing your baindings and standing on your board at your stance width and angles. As above, well designed boot soles and bindings that offer lift will further reduce drag should that still be an issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Edin,

so you are looking good. You are going to be at an edge to edge board width of roughly 27.7 at your stance width. 30.0 (foot length) minus 27.7 (board width) minus 1.0 (estimated adjustment for stance angle) puts you at 1.3 cm of total barefoot overhang or .65 cm toe and heel. That is in the ideal range. You can check your exact overhang by removing your baindings and standing on your board at your stance width and angles. As above, well designed boot soles and bindings that offer lift will further reduce drag should that still be an issue.
Thank you! How do you know about the width of the boards where the bindings are? I'll measure it tomorrow and get back to you, thank you for the help!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That board is too wide, also a 4mm more narrow board is too wide.

I try to explain so you understand the physics behind it why everybody here tries to convince you to go with the correct boot and board size.
For a frontside turn, you need to pressure the frontside edge. The main force point where you can apply pressure is your forefoot ball. The farer away the ball is from the edge, the less leverage you have i.e. you apply the force not to the edge but rather in the middle of the board with hardly leverage i.e. you have to muscle waaay more to get the board to turn. If the ball is closer to the edge, turning gets easier. Easier with every milimeter.
It doesn't matter that the tip of your too large boot is close to the edge, your foot ball isn't. The empty tip of the boot won't transfer any pressure to the edge. You can only shift your pressure spot by shifting your binding more to the front edgebut then you loose leverage to the backside edge.
Sure, one can ride like this, but it costs you a lot of responsiveness and you will have to work way harder to turn such a boat boot-board combination than on one which fits the foot size.
OK thank you, that's why I was asking which would be better out of the regular and the bigger one; as I couldn't find much info about it online. I think I'd rather like 245ish and thought the 251 was too big; and I'd rather just have more fun on the mountain and not have too work too hard haha

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Edin,

Hey just for info, is that up to 1cm barefoot overhang for toe and up to 1cm for the heel? or as in up to 1cm overhang overall? I've also read that up to an inch is pretty good too

1 - 20 of 36 Posts