Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently purchased a lightly used 2018 147 Rossignol Frenemy for a great deal. I did a bunch of research and think the Frenemy really fits my needs. I am an intermediate snowboarder on the east coast who - sadly - doesn't hit too much powder and needs a board that can handle ice. Additionally, I love a playful board and don't really care about speed so much. I haven't done much in the park but really want to get into it next year.

All that said I am a bit over the weight/size range for the board at 5'7", ~140 lbs. I figured I might be able to get away with it because I want to get into the park and want a board that is easily maneuverable for trees, etc., but I'm having some doubts. If I need to size-up I'd rather sell it before I beat it up too much as it's in pretty good condition at the moment.

Long story short, how flexible are the weight ranges/length recommendations for this board (or women's snowboards in general)? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm over most of my snowboards' recommended weights by a little bit. It makes them more flexible and playful, with the sacrifice of high speed stability and better float in powder. If you're looking to noodle around and get into park, being a little over the weight range is just fine.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Weight ratings on boards are like expiry dates on foods. You can exceed them no problem in my experience, but there's a limit where you should be using common sense.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weight ratings on boards are like expiry dates on foods. You can exceed them no problem in my experience, but there's a limit where you should be using common sense.
Haha I love this analogy. Thanks, that makes me feel better! Ultimately I'll just have to get out there and see how it feels of course but I appreciate the insight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm over most of my snowboards' recommended weights by a little bit. It makes them more flexible and playful, with the sacrifice of high speed stability and better float in powder. If you're looking to noodle around and get into park, being a little over the weight range is just fine.
Cool, that's kind of what I was looking for. Have you found that a 2-3cm size bigger on a board feels much different?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Cool, that's kind of what I was looking for. Have you found that a 2-3cm size bigger on a board feels much different?
Yes. I've found them to be slightly more stable and faster with a better edge hold. Supposedly less maneuverable but I haven't really found the down side there, especially on groomers.

I'd think way harder if something was a tree board. i.e. make sure I was picking the best tool for the job as it related to length as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts