Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Return to Boarding after 14yr Hiatus?

3K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Saamigirl 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm new here. looking for advice or if anyone has had a similar experience and can share how it was for them;

I snowboarded for 20 yrs up until 2007. I went maybe 5+ times a year. I was a decent rider and loved it. Well, I had kids and haven't ridden since. My kids are older and are wanting to do more than just tubing/sledding. Older one has learned to ski and can do the beginner runs. Littler one wants to learn. We're going this weekend...I now wonder where that leaves me. Us parents will have to split up and stay with each one. I don't want to be standing around all day. I was considering learning to ski, but maybe I should pick up boarding again? Im 53 now and unfortunately quite out of shape. Not obese or anything tho. I'm worried I may injure myself. Just not sure what direction to go in. I have my old board and boots still (circa 1999,LOL)! Any advice or similar experience? Please be kind.
Thanks!

#4 ·
I'm pretty much in exactly the same boat as you. I started up again last year, and I will say as much as fun as it was dusting the old board off - even tuning it up - The new technology in snowboarding nowadays is so damn good that you will really be missing out if you do more than a novelty run on your old equipment for nostalgia's sake.

In fact, I was so impressed with the new tech that I went Covid Consumption Crazy, and at one point was riding five different setups this year with 3 new pairs of different riding style boots 😬

#5 ·
Glad you’re back. I too came back just this year after 20+ years. I started back around 1990-91 and still have my old sims 160 Asymmetrical ATV (not rideable so I might turn it into a bench) and one of the first generation Morrow spoons that is actually in remarkable condition considering it and the bindings are over 25 years old, lol.

I hope you choose snowboarding. I had forgotten how awesome snowboarding is and you will too if you haven’t already. When I went for the first time in 20+ years this past February, it all came back instantly. I didn’t wipe out coming off the chair (I was expecting to) and as soon as I strapped in and pointed down the mountain, I was carving and switching at will on the first run. I bet you will experience the same.

#6 ·
There are few things in life more enjoyable than getting on the slopes with your kids. Treat yourself to a new setup and get out there. Once your kids have acquired their skill set, they will drag you all over the mountain. Use the time while they are learning to get back in shape. It will be both time well spent and the best times of your life. No excuses. Get on it!

#9 ·
A new board is a must, if you know anyone that is a experienced rider I’d search Craigslist for a good board. There are plenty of people out there that go out and spend a bunch of money on this trendy sport, only to sell everything after a couple trips up.

I’ve purchased brand new never used $300 Burton bindings for $50 on CL, the deals are out there IF you know what you’re looking at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.