Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here live in the area and able to offer up some local advice for a cheap hotel and inexpensive decent eats? How far is the resort area from town?

My son is going to the iFSA north American championships and I need to make some travel arrangement back up plans in case his club doesn't come through....

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
When I was planning a trip up there I was going to use the Sandman Hotel in town. There is another cheapish place in town, but I can't recall the name. Shuttle service from town to the Mt. is about 5min

·
Rides Caturdayz
538 Posts
Sandman is ok. About 10-15min drive thru town to the resort. Try to get a room in the front building as rooms are bigger. Hottub is disgusting there, go to town Rec center or drive down to the springs instead.

Resort is made 6-9 min to town. The town is small so pretty much everything is with 5 min walk downtown. Best bar is village idiot but it is hard to get into. River city pub is another option as it is muh bigger and beside the regency hotel.

Kawakuro sushi is awesome, so is Pam's kitchen (Indian food) there is also a French wine bar in town. Woolsey's is suppose to be good too but didn't get a chance to go. 2 bars/ restaurant (wino and forget the name) at base is where everyone goes for après. They have huge patios

Oh and modern bakery for breakfast. The revy mid mountain lodge also has decent food, at least compared to other resorts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
sandman and best western are next to each other just off the highway... bw has breakfast and good coffee included. theres a shuttle bus to the resort too.
in town theres also powder springs, swiss chalet, travel lodge, monashee lodge, i think i put those in +/- descending order
also lots of bed n breakfasts... mo spendy... and a same sun hostel, cheep.
pams kitchen and frisbee ridge sushi are the cheaper options for food, kawakubo and the woosley, ginger n spice, are not cheap.
for pub food besides the idiot and the regent, try the last drop at pow springs, and the nomad on the highway is actually really good for 'fast food', greasy yah but decent for sure and affordable

·
Registered
298 Posts
You can always try VRBO to see if there are any lodges/rentals available.

I guess if its just you and your son it may be a bit overkill to get a full suite.

However, the place we stayed at was a 5-10 min drive to the mountains.

Eats: Village Idiot, Last Drop, Isabella's, Frisby Ridge Diner

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the info, We live on more of a dirtbag snowboarders level so cheap hotels are good, if it wasn't still so close to winter we would camp... info about the place "the nomad" is great, Thanks! hopefully the teams travel stuff works out and I don't have to drive up there.

I see a super 8 that seems to be the cheapest.... Is that an ok spot?

·
Rides Caturdayz
538 Posts
Yes they are all in the hotel zone west of downtown. Usually super 8 is same price. Sandman is owned by the same Gaglardi family that owns revy, so there's usually some kind of deal.

There's also coopers and (south market?) along the way back from resort. Deli stuff looks decent

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any of you guys that live out here willing to show the steep part of your mountain off? my son will be riding solo for the comp but Tuesday, Thursday, Friday I think we are free.

You guys get bad tree wells up there? Enough so to justify bringing an avalung along?

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Conditions up here are pretty dismal..... gonna be some tough competition runs. Not as steep as we expected it to be though....

·
Registered
276 Posts
Conditions up here are pretty dismal..... gonna be some tough competition runs. Not as steep as we expected it to be though....
If you hike straight up from the stoke chair and head into the bowl it gets pretty steep. Also going right at the top of the ripper chair is pretty steep too from memory.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats pretty much all we did all morning. That north face is the competition course that my son is in. Dont get me wrong, Its steep, but not as gnarly as billed and pumped up to be. Initially the drop is nice, it mellows quickly. Fucking tall mountain but the lower 2/3 has pretty much no snow. Cool place over all though. Would love to be here on a full on powder month.

·
Rides Caturdayz
538 Posts
Did you hike all the way up? There's the lemming line and then there is a straight hike all the way to the top which takes 25mins.

Even in the lemming line it varies in steepness depending on how far you traverse. Which is a pain on a board since sections after "drop in" have massive uphills.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thats pretty much all we did all morning. That north face is the competition course that my son is in. Dont get me wrong, Its steep, but not as gnarly as billed and pumped up to be. Initially the drop is nice, it mellows quickly. Fucking tall mountain but the lower 2/3 has pretty much no snow. Cool place over all though. Would love to be here on a full on powder month.
I've been there on powder days in feb and the bottom 2/3 is still shit, but there is just so much above those two lifts. I loved the place.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dunno the names of them all but we hiked up to the very top on the first run. Shitty icy hike. The we did the two chutes below that. Steep for the first little bit. Pow day would be prett fun for thos drops but you gotta run those chutes like a luge today.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There might be 200 people here today max. Most are competitors for this championship event

1 - 15 of 15 Posts