Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5'11", 170 lbs, size 10.5 boots. I mostly ride powder (particularly trees), and on non powder days I like to ride the mountain like it's a park, but don't actually ride in the park that much. I might hit a small-medium park jump every now and then. Looking for a board that is poppy and playful, and will hold an edge on icy days. I've always owned traditional camber in the past and I'm looking to get my first hybrid camber board with rocker between the bindings. I'm looking for twin or twin-like so I can improve my switch riding this year.

I've owned a few Rome boards in the past and have been really happy with them. I'm looking to spend in the $400 range, so I'm looking at either a 2012 Agent Rocker 157 or a 2013 Reverb Rocker 157.

What are the major differences between these boards other than the Reverb being twin and the Agent twin-like? Is the Reverb softer? I normally prefer Rome boards that are a 6/10 on their flex scale, but they seem to have abandoned the number system.

I am open to suggestions other than Rome. What other hybrid camber, twin(ish) boards would you guys recommend that will offer a similar ride to these? I'm looking to stay around $400 so I may have to buy past season's model. For length, I want to be within 156-158.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you want a 2013 deck i can get you any ROME board and if you hook me up with the difference between 400 and my price i'll do it.

If you want details let me know. Pretty much a group i am in the organizer gets corporate pricing. I just ordered the Gold for a friend and Agent Rocker for myself

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man but I'll most likely buy from a local shop. Still hoping to get some advice on my questions. Anyone?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I want to say that the Agent Rocker is stiffer than the Reverb Rocker but don't quote me on that. The Agent is a directional and would be a great all mountain/freestyle board. Excels in the park too. Easy to ride switch on - its techincally a directional board but only slightly - its shape is easy to ride switch with.

I think you'd have more difficulty charging on the Reverb, as its aimed more towards the park.

·
Registered
326 Posts
best of luck - my boards getting delivered today i'll snap a photo of it and the invoice

actually i'm just going to leave the invoice right here. I didn't know rome was in VT. Shipping is taking 1 day

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
I want to say that the Agent Rocker is stiffer than the Reverb Rocker but don't quote me on that. The Agent is a directional and would be a great all mountain/freestyle board. Excels in the park too. Easy to ride switch on - its techincally a directional board but only slightly - its shape is easy to ride switch with.

I think you'd have more difficulty charging on the Reverb, as its aimed more towards the park.
The Agent is stiffer, it will be my all mountain and won't go in the park as i plan on having the edges sharp all the time.

Go to EVO.com and read the description of both boards

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about the Jones Mountain Twin? I'm seeing some really good reviews on this board.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I'd say the Mod if you didn't say you want hybrid. With hybrid though I haven't heard a whole lot from Rome. Never ridden their hybrid.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah the Mod seems pretty awesome but it's a little out of my price range at the moment. I also read that it is stiffer than the Agent however... is this true?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
It's pretty stiff when it's new. It breaks in though. And it is surprisingly flexible even when it's new. It's stiff when you flex it suddenly, ollie, and softer when you flex it slowly, buttering. It also has it's flex spots. It is expensive though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Both the Agent Rocker and Reverb Rocker are all mountain boards with the Agent being stiffer and the Reverb being more damp.

If you want a stiffer board for hard charging get the Agent. If a more playful board is what you want to ride, get the Reverb.

I would guess the Mod Rocker is stiffer because it has 2 rods in the core instead of 1.

Rome:thumbsup:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Both the Agent Rocker and Reverb Rocker are all mountain boards with the Agent being stiffer and the Reverb being more damp.

If you want a stiffer board for hard charging get the Agent. If a more playful board is what you want to ride, get the Reverb.

I would guess the Mod Rocker is stiffer because it has 2 rods in the core instead of 1.

Great, thanks. I'm leaning toward the Reverb. Will it hold an edge as well as the Agent on groomers? I'm thinking it will since they both have the QuickRip sidecut. I suspect the Reverb will have a little more chatter than the Agent in choppy snow, but I can live with that.

Still would like to hear some thoughts on the Jones Mtn Twin if anyone has ridden it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Groomers would be no prob. The Reverb holds an edge as well as a full camber board but is easier to ride at slower speeds. I mostly ride trees and dork around on the edge of the groomed trail.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a 2012 reverb rocker, which I think is the same as the 2013 other than graphic. I really like it, it has worked great for just using the mountain as the park like you said.

·
Registered
833 Posts

Is the reverb really more damp than the agent? I thought it was e other way round with the agent being stiffer and damper?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good stuff guys... if things go as planned I'll be picking up a Reverb Rocker 157 this week. I'll return with a review within the next couple of weeks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts