391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Conditions:

Weather - cold, clear and sunny

Slopes - hard pack and ice.

Park - ice

Setup:

157 Nitro Eero Ettala 2012, Raiden Phantom 2012 in Large

Excellent do anything you want board (didn't take it into powder, though) with a leaning towards freestyle. It is softish and playful (read jibby) and yet it is fast and stable - great on steeps and groomers (carve with ease), and very stable on landings (the test resort's biggest kicker is about 25 feet - I know that is pretty shit - so don't go thinking I was hitting 60 foot jumps).

It has a cool graphic (IMO). Here's a crap little photo I took.

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What do you think of those new raiden bindings? They look drastically redesigned an pretty solid for next year.
The Phantom is a very light softish fresstyle binding but looks sturdy enough to take a beating.

Straps - really comfortable - I highly rate Raiden on those - but they are unchanged from last year (why change a good thing).

Footbeds - new feature - they put in air or gel bubbles (not sure which) in the Phantom footbeds - supposedly to help absorb landings. I can't say much about being able to absorb landings better but they feel very comfortable when you strap in.

It has one obvious shortcoming - especially for a freestyle binding - there aren't any options to make minor adjustments to stance width like some other bindings now have (minor adjustments being about 1 inch, remaining centered over the board, as many freestyle riders do).

The other reservation I have is related to the mini-disc it uses (also the reason for the above problem of not being able to make minor adjustments to stance width - minor adjustments being about 1 inch increments) - I have their 2010/2011 Blackhawk and my binding kept rotating left-right about 1cm while I was riding. I blame the mini-disc for that.

·
Registered
188 Posts
That's strange, I have 10/11 Blackhawks and they don't rotate on me! Did they change the rachets? Mine aren't very smooth on my Blackhawks...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts