Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Review: Aleck 006 wireless headphones

1612 Views 12 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Craig64
Peripheral Gadget Output device Font Input device

The product page can be found here.

I purchased these after finding them mentioned on the SmithIO website. It seems like Smith is specifically recommending these, so that seemed a good enough endorsement for me to take a chance on them.

These compete directly with the ODT Chips 3.0 wireless headphones (which I also own). The Alecks seem to have mostly the same features except for the addition of a walkie talkie and friend-finding feature. Interestingly, the Chips 2.0 had the walkie-talkie and friend-finding, but the Chips 3.0 does not. Possibly because no one used the features, possibly because the ODT app was reported as being a hot mess.

So, first impressions. This is just sitting at my desk playing with them. I haven't hit the hill yet with these.

Thickness: From the picture, it sure looks like they're thinner than the ODTs, which is actually one of my major complaints about the ODT Chips, and is one of the reasons I was interested in these in the first place. The Chips can put uncomfortable pressure on the ears if your helmet is tight at all. Unfortunately, it turns out the Alecks are actually slightly thicker, .59" to ODT's .50".

Controls: Mostly identical to the ODTs, with the significant exception of volume. Because they needed to put the walkie-talkie functions somewhere, they assigned the left-ear single and double taps to the walkie talkie and relegated volume to a left-button push-and-hold which cycles the volume up and down through 4 levels. Definitely not as convenient, although if you set the volume using your phone directly, you have the normal level of control.

Sound: Out of the box, I think the ODTs are better. Aleck does allow you to play with EQ using their app, but you have to create an account before you can do anything. I can't speak for anyone else, but I am thoroughly sick of companies requiring me to log in before I can use functionality that has no possible bearing on being logged in, just so that they can hit me with "in-app purchases". So effectively, no EQ, and the ODT sound is better, full stop.

Charging: The Aleck uses a micro-USB connection rather than the Chips' USB-C connection. That's way minor, but I prefer USB-C because there's no "upside down". And the charging port is on the right speaker, just like the ODTs, which is the worst case if you use Smith helmets, because you have to fully unzip the helmet to get at the right speaker. You would think that Smith would have clued into this by now, but noooooooooo...

Conclusion: If you are interested in the walkie-talkie and friend-finder functions, this is probably a revolutionary device, assuming they did it better than ODT did on the 2.0's. For people like me who ride alone, the function is irrelevant. And of course everyone in the group has to own them. Otherwise, there really is nothing to recommend these over the Chips. Based only on their use as a music-delivery device, the best I can say about them is they aren't as bad as the ODT Ultra, which I threw out after one day. But I'll stick to my Chips 3.0, thanks.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3,080 Posts
Nice review Donutz..., can you add some more pics ie alongside ODT, in helmet etc to get a look at them closer.

Love ODT and that is my only complaint is slight pressure on the ears with my Giro range (slimmer hard shell profile). Not much you can do to address this other than going wifi buds as you need depth in the earpiece to fit the driver and cone inside.

· Registered
3,080 Posts
I have Chips 2.0 and they are pretty good for riding. I only have them like half volume as still like to hear any danger. When they truly come to the party is whilst riding up the lifts and answering calls via BT. They are nowhere in the same category as dedicated audio head phones.

· Registered
2,188 Posts
I have Chips 2.0 and they are pretty good for riding. I only have them like half volume as still like to hear any danger. When they truly come to the party is whilst ridding up the lifts and answering calls via BT. They are nowhere in the same category as dedicated audio head phones.
I get that about the sound quality. I actually have a set of I believe the 1.0s, but could be 2.0s that are still going strong. Was considering an upgrade to get a standard charging port but not sure it’s worth it if the sound is the same.

· Destroying Worlds Since 2015
7,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I get that about the sound quality. I actually have a set of I believe the 1.0s, but could be 2.0s that are still going strong. Was considering an upgrade to get a standard charging port but not sure it’s worth it if the sound is the same.
The other big improvement to the 3.0 is the ability to skip back by triple-tapping the right earpiece.

· Registered
2 Posts
My girlfriend and I bought a set of the Aleck's. The sound is fine, can't compare it to anything else. However the friend finder function doesn't work: she can see me on the map but I can't see her! (Not a controlling boyfriend, just like to use the speakers for their intended locate friends purpose). The walkie talkie function is absolute garbage. It's nothing like a true walkie talkie, but more like voice memos going back and forth, but they take about 30 seconds to record, transmit, and receive. If she gave me a message: "look out for that tree", I'll be a bug on the tree's windshield by the time I received the message. I went back and forth with their support for weeks to try and fix the issues and they just can't figure out what's going on. I tried... but not the product it's advertised to be. So now I have $130 headphones.

· Registered
Burton Custom '21, Name Dropper '21, Nidecker Supermatic, Burton Genesis, Flow NX2, Adidas Acerra
114 Posts
I really appreciate this in-depth review and comparison. I finally pulled the trigger on the ODT chips 3.0 and very happy with my purchase. Battery life is insanely, I listen at really low volumes so I can still hear other people around me. it is really amazing riding with some music... really helps get into the zone & that flow state while riding.

· Registered
3,080 Posts
I really appreciate this in-depth review and comparison. I finally pulled the trigger on the ODT chips 3.0 and very happy with my purchase. Battery life is insanely, I listen at really low volumes so I can still hear other people around me. it is really amazing riding with some music... really helps get into the zone & that flow state while riding.
I'm the same it's the best riding listening to radio channel in background. You can answer calls without touching the phone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts