Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I will agree on the topsheet. I had my Westmark leaned up against my bed and it slid down (not to the side, but actually slid down in the direction a snowboard usually travels) about a foot and lightly bumped into my computer chair which caused a nice chip on the tail. Will it mess with the way it rides? Nope. Is it delicate as fuck so far? Yup.
I had a couple falls with mine and it hasn't taken any damage. Doesn't seem "delicate" to me.:dunno:

·
Registered
891 Posts
What did you fall on? Snow? My board slid into a hard surface (the bottom of a metal computer chair leg) and the biofilm or whatever Arbor calls it chipped like hard candy. It is only aesthetic and does not change my opinion of the board at all. I rode over rocks the other day and the base only had one decent scratch in the base that was easily fixed with a razor blade and a fresh wax.

Are the boards durable? So far I don't seen any difference from my other boards.

Is the coating on the topsheet brittle like a hard candy? On the Westmark, yes. (at least on the edges of the board)

·
Registered
891 Posts
Oh and to you guys complaining about chipping here's what the PLM had to say to me about that when I asked him. "We do that on purpose because a chip is easier to repair than a delam." Me personally fuck it if it's only an aestetic.
This makes perfect sense and I totally agree with the aesthetics part.

Here is the chip.

·
With extra cheese.
1,750 Posts
Checked the catalog again and either its wrong or BA's rep is. The westmark and blacklist are listed as having the extruded "Fusion" base for 2013. The 2012's have the "Rocket Base" which is sintered. I would say thats a noticeable difference.

Might be why there is going to be a price drop too.
The Fusion base on Draft is pretty tough, seems it's actually tougher than the Rocket base and has decent speed. Mountain Creek has a notorious flat spot in the trail dividing upper and lower South Peak and my Draft kept speed through it easily, whereas my Westmark lost speed. Granted, some of that may be due to the Westmark being more beat up, but if a base is more resistant to damage, that's part of maintaining speed.

What I really wish Arbor would do is swallow their pride and admit Crown Plastics manufacturers superior base materials and switch to the DuraSurf materials Signal and Never Summer use. It's proved faster and tougher than anything else I've ridden.

·
Registered
95 Posts
What did you fall on? Snow? My board slid into a hard surface (the bottom of a metal computer chair leg) and the biofilm or whatever Arbor calls it chipped like hard candy. It is only aesthetic and does not change my opinion of the board at all. I rode over rocks the other day and the base only had one decent scratch in the base that was easily fixed with a razor blade and a fresh wax.

Are the boards durable? So far I don't seen any difference from my other boards.

Is the coating on the topsheet brittle like a hard candy? On the Westmark, yes. (at least on the edges of the board)
Didn't mean to sound insulting. From what I've heard Arbor boards can be damaged easily and it was a concern when I bought my Westie. Yes, I did fall in snow but both times my board slammed into the ground. It's not like I was riding on a cloud either, it was hard pack. When I got up I thought for sure I'd find a chip or something, was suprised to find nothing.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I did not take it as an attack in any from. In the end my board slid into a piece of solid metal which is harder than ice, so unless you are slamming your deck on the side of a box/rail you should be fine.

·
With extra cheese.
1,750 Posts
There's two base material manufacturers in the world don't see that happening. I hate Durasurf it doesn't last.
While I'm sure I don't put as many days on my boards as you, I tend to abuse them. I haven't seen any problems on Durasurf after 70+ days on my older Evo and my buddies Park Flat seems to be standing up quite well. Rocket base has been pretty average at best. My first Westmark is pretty tore up. Maybe the Fusion base is better.

I may just go Draft next season. Will have to see. It's too bad they didn't do a 150 or 151 Blacklist.

·
Registered
135 Posts
A lot of reviews are saying that it is shitty on the ice. Is it that bad or does it handle just like any other board would on ice-bad...??

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Commenting on the board's performance on ice, she said, "I also believe it was detuned before I got it... It’s definitely rideable outside of the park but when I got the board it was detuned and it showed in it’s handling on any icy spot."

I think it's weird that she spends so many words lamenting it's performance on ice, only to mentions three times that the board was detuned. Say it once, qualify it appropriately, and leave it at that if the board's been detuned it's not really fair to talk about it being "bad on ice", that's like saying well yeah my tires are bald but this car sucks in the rain.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Shayboarder had a review saying that it was bad on ice.
First off she is not the market for this board seeing how it is make more for a man being a midwide. I ride my blacklist everywhere from glades, moguls and park never washed out on an edge when engaged in a turn. Read BA’s review he will also agree that it is a badass board.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Commenting on the board's performance on ice, she said, "I also believe it was detuned before I got it... It’s definitely rideable outside of the park but when I got the board it was detuned and it showed in it’s handling on any icy spot."

I think it's weird that she spends so many words lamenting it's performance on ice, only to mentions three times that the board was detuned. Say it once, qualify it appropriately, and leave it at that if the board's been detuned it's not really fair to talk about it being "bad on ice", that's like saying well yeah my tires are bald but this car sucks in the rain.
That is exactly what I was thinking. I was just reading too much into it. I am just gonna fucking buy the thing. I know BA loved it and all you guys are loving it too, so there is no point in beating myself up about it.

I appreciate all the input.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
First off she is not the market for this board seeing how it is make more for a man being a midwide. I ride my blacklist everywhere from glades, moguls and park never washed out on an edge when engaged in a turn. Read BA’s review he will also agree that it is a badass board.
You must not have seen pictures of Shay yet :laugh:

61 - 80 of 95 Posts