Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this first post will be more of a "first look" at the board, with the full review coming mid-winter this year.

I ordered this board a month ago when Prior had a sale on for Canadian thanksgiving weekend. It's a Prior Khyber solid 160, and I went with the XCK Carbon Kevlar option. I tend to like torsionally stiff boards, and they claim it reduces the weight by about 400g off a standard board, more on that later. Here's some pics to start!

Initial unboxing was fun, the fit and finish of the board is very good! As you can see above I chose the clear topsheet. I wanted to see the carbon and kevlar weave below, and it's very interesting to look at. You can see the yellow kevlar through the carbon fibres, and the surface is certainly not 100% uniform. Some may complain about this, I think it shows it was made by hand instead of mass produced. It's an artisan snowboard! :happy:

I wanted a bright base as I will stop and take my board off and face the base uphill when I'm working on the hill. I think this fits the bill and I like the look.

The overall profile of the board is very freeride/powder oriented. They've included the board in their "powder" range for a reason. There is a lot of visible setback, taper, and the nose and tail rocker are very pronounced. Most other "nose rocker" boards I have are just camber boards with an early rise nose, this profile looks much more like an RCR profile.

There's a minimal amount of camber underfoot. The tail begins to lift right after the inserts, and the nose begins to lift about 4" in front of the inserts.

Overall I'm very impressed with the shape, profile, fit and finish of the board. I was stoked to ride it before but now I'm doubly stoked!

The nose and tail rise much earlier than my Virus Avalanche, and the nose is significantly wider. This should float in powder VERY well, yet still be good when groomer bombing.

Obviously the effective edge is much shorter than the Virus, and the sidecut radius is significantly shorter as well. So I don't expect it to rail turns like the Virus or Volkl, but at first glance it looks like it should be in the realm of the Custom X or T6/T7 at carving, with the float of a powder board.

And as for the weight? I got out the kitchen scale to get some accurate measurements of every piece of snow gear I could find in the house... All measurements in grams.

As you can see the Khyber 160 XCK is almost the same mass as a Brandywine 153 womens board (non-XCK)... It's significantly lighter than all other boards it's size in our house fleet. Considering the Virus is marketed as the "Avalance FLP AFT" with FLP standing for "Fucking Light Project", and the T7 having a aluminium honeycomb core, they've done a really good job making it light.

This is great, the only thing I fear is that it may not handle my abuse. My wife's Brandywine has handled her abuse for the last few years with no issues, but I can be hard on boards with my 185 lbs landing off jumps very tail happy, etc. Time will tell on this aspect.

Well that's all for now! Will report back once I've had it out on the snow for a while, broken it in, and really run it through the gears. My initial thoughts are very positive. :hairy:

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Placeholder for full review (figure there will be lots of pics to post) :hairy: Hopefully I can convince one of my camera buddies to take some good carving shots on all the boards to compare how they handle being placed on edge.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I love the look of carbon fiber. Good choice on the clear top sheet. I'm a big F1 and Motogp fan and think the look of CF is as good or better than any graphic.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks gents! Yeah I really like the topsheet. Subtle from a distance but really trick looking up close. Might get on it tomorrow so we'll see how it rides! Everyone I've dealt with at Prior in the last couple years has been great so I'm confident in the product. Good warranty too (3 years)...

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Beauty!

I saw a Spearhead at their shop some time ago with a mixed topsheet... matte black and clear. It looked awesome with all the carbon. But yeah the Khyber is much more versatile... post little videos too when you add reviews :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have the Khyber 165 in solid and split... Both in their respective carbon lay-up.. As well as a MFR 162 in carbon as well... All great boards.. I have a BC 165 split in carbon on the way with the same clear top-sheet..

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2011/12 Khyber and love it, though am toying with the idea of a Spearhead or Fissile next time round.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 2011/12 Khyber and love it, though am toying with the idea of a Spearhead or Fissile next time round.
Nice! I've had the Khyber out once so far and quickly got back on the Virus, but it was a hardpack day which I knew the Virus would be better at. Can't wait to get it out into its natural habitat! (powder) >:)

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, sorry I should have updated this thread long ago!

Had the board out for a week at Kicking Horse, and then one day at Fernie since then. The snow at kicking horse was variable to start the week, but it kept snowing all week and by the end of it we had a nice 30+ cm climax dump (that's what she said) on the Friday night.

I think where this board really shines is in variable snow, trees, moguls, and some light powder. I was doing a course, and switched from old faithful (the Virus Avalanche) to this board on day 2, and stayed on it the rest of the week.

It's very light, and very playful under foot compared to what I'm used to. It holds an edge as well as any traditional board I've been on.

Overall I'd say it's a great match for the conditions we typically get in Alberta (dry snow, variable, some hardpack, some powder, lots of trees). I had a great week with it at Kicking Horse! Loaned it to another person in my course for a few runs, and he said the same thing: it might be the best traditional board he's ever tried.

That said, we went to Fernie a few weeks later, and there was a 35 cm dump of heavier snow than we had experienced in Kicking Horse. I rode the Prior on Saturday, and the Virus on Sunday. It might have been that the snow got lighter overnight from Saturday into Sunday, but the Virus seemed to float noticeably better in deep powder. I was struggling a bit with the Prior on Saturday, Sunday morning the Virus was rocking all the terrain that hadn't opened up from the day before.

I'd like to try it again on the same day as the Virus to make a better judgement call, but at this point I'd have to say it's a better middle of the road board than the Virus, very quick in the trees, great in variable snow, good carver, good in deep powder.

The Virus is the best carver I've ever been on (better than the Volkl Coal Race board I just bought), and also the best powder board I've been on, it's also great at variable terrain, just maybe slightly slower at quick turns in the trees.

tl;dr - The Khyber is a fantastic board and I'm nit picking it to death, but I think I'll buy a Virus again for my next board.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts