Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried out the Whistler Demo Center today. Technically it's called "Whistler Alpine Rentals", but for $20 to test out as many boards as you can make time for, it barely qualifies as rental. And if you decide to buy a board, take the receipt to Showcase in the village and you get credit for that amount. And if you have a season's pass, you get 20% off the board (10% off bindings).

So I paid my $20, and tried out two boards: A Lib Tech E-Jackknife and a Burton Process.

The Lib Tech came with Now Pilot bindings. The board impressed me on the very first run. It turned on a dime, and tracked my turns like it was on a rail. I took it down crappy chunder runs and steep moguls, as well as a couple of straight-lining areas and the polished-smooth cat-track that empties out at the bottom of the Emerald Express run. Straight-lining and polished areas aren't the board's strengths--My Flight Attendant handles those better. But on just about everything else, the Lib Tech was amazing. Amazing enough that I ended up buying one.

With the Pilots, of course. Why mess with success? Actually, I found the Pilots to be very comfortable and effortless. They pretty much 'disappeared' into the board.

The second board was the Burton Process. Full camber plank. Didn't like it. I did a second run just to give it a chance, and didn't like it any better the second time. So back it went. Interestingly, the Process had the same weird easier-on-heelside feeling that I was getting from my Flight Attendant until I adjusted the bindings. Same bindings, too--Cartels. It's too bad, but this kind of puts me off Burton boards until and unless I get a chance to try something that blows me away.

After I returned the Process, I quit demoing for the day and went back to my FA (which I'd selected for today's session). It's very instructive to try different boards one after the other like that. You get an immediate and clear feel for how they're different. In this case, the FA felt vague after riding the Jack-knife. Like it would get around to turning when it felt like it. Now I have to figure out which boards to keep and which to get rid of.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I tried out the Whistler Demo Center today. Technically it's called "Whistler Alpine Rentals", but for $20 to test out as many boards as you can make time for, it barely qualifies as rental. And if you decide to buy a board, take the receipt to Showcase in the village and you get credit for that amount. And if you have a season's pass, you get 20% off the board (10% off bindings).

So I paid my $20, and tried out two boards: A Lib Tech E-Jackknife and a Burton Process.

The Lib Tech came with Now Pilot bindings. The board impressed me on the very first run. It turned on a dime, and tracked my turns like it was on a rail. I took it down crappy chunder runs and steep moguls, as well as a couple of straight-lining areas and the polished-smooth cat-track that empties out at the bottom of the Emerald Express run. Straight-lining and polished areas aren't the board's strengths--My Flight Attendant handles those better. But on just about everything else, the Lib Tech was amazing. Amazing enough that I ended up buying one.

View attachment 152233

With the Pilots, of course. Why mess with success? Actually, I found the Pilots to be very comfortable and effortless. They pretty much 'disappeared' into the board.

The second board was the Burton Process. Full camber plank. Didn't like it. I did a second run just to give it a chance, and didn't like it any better the second time. So back it went. Interestingly, the Process had the same weird easier-on-heelside feeling that I was getting from my Flight Attendant until I adjusted the bindings. Same bindings, too--Cartels. It's too bad, but this kind of puts me off Burton boards until and unless I get a chance to try something that blows me away.

After I returned the Process, I quit demoing for the day and went back to my FA (which I'd selected for today's session). It's very instructive to try different boards one after the other like that. You get an immediate and clear feel for how they're different. In this case, the FA felt vague after riding the Jack-knife. Like it would get around to turning when it felt like it. Now I have to figure out which boards to keep and which to get rid of.
So jealous, would love the opportunity to ride different boards or in fact just ride more often. I guess when you live in the tropics that a sacrifice you make.

Love hearing the reviews though.

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Glad to hear you liked the E-Jack, was the magnetraction noticeable on it? I'm not a fan of Mag, but everything else about the board sounds perfect for a daily driver to me. Essentially full camber, stiff but not too stiff, slightly set back and tapered etc.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ejack Knife looks sweet! Like @Phedder I think it could be the DD for me. If you don't mind my asking, what size are you and what size was the board. Just wanting to size it right as I don't want it super stiff but also want enough length for pow :)

·
Super Moderator
5,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ejack Knife looks sweet! Like @Phedder I think it could be the DD for me. If you don't mind my asking, what size are you and what size was the board. Just wanting to size it right as I don't want it super stiff but also want enough length for pow :)
They rented me a 157, which I think is slightly short for me. I have a Proto 157 but most of my boards are 159-162. I bought a 159. I almost bought a 159W :eek: but caught it just as he was ringing it in.

·
Super Moderator
5,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, what a complete 180 from yesterday. Some kind of temp thing, but 30 cm of overnight snow got turned into what I overheard someone describe as "peanut butter". I almost went over the handlebars several times at speed, and it was even worse when trying to navigate roughs because you'd be traversing and all of a sudden the brakes would come on. At one point, I thought I was burying the nose, but looked down and no, the nose was fine. I was just slowing down abruptly on a downhill for no sane reason. I did two runs and gave up. According to the server at the Dubh Linn Gate, a lot of people were complaining about the shit snow.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a lot of opportunity to wind out the ejack today, but in the few instances where I was able to exercise it, it felt every bit as responsive as yesterday.

·
Super Moderator
5,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What other brands did they have available for rent/demo?
Generally speaking, the same brands that are in the Showcase shop, since that's where they want you to buy it. Burton, Libtech, Saloman, Bataleon, possibly some NS. It's hard to be sure because unless you get there first thing, some will always be out. And I think they only have one of each size for any particular model.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts