Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Could I ask anyone who have ridden these 2 boards to shed some light on its flex and versatility. More of an All-Mtn guy here with no park experience (don't mind picking up park/learning in time to come but will dedicate only 5-10% of the time to it initially).

Thank you!

·
Registered
141 Posts
From what I hear the mercury is stiffer than the algorythm. The algorythm is more forgiving, more playful and more suited towards park riding.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! That’s what I’ve searched too.. hmm but I wonder how much stiffer and how much torsionally stiffer it is to steer the board and which would be a better all mtn...

what board did you get in the end? Why not the Algorythm?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm just a board hoarder. I own a lot of decks. Honestly I don't remember what I bought instead LOL. I think I have some boards that overlap with the Algorythm that's why I stopped myself. I don't think the mercury is that much stiffer. If the mercury is 7/10, I would say the algorythm is 5.5 or 6/10. I think the algorythm has more torsional flex than the mercury which helps you steer the board under foot

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks @SushiLover !!! Just can’t decide as I have a good deal for the Mercury but somehow I feel the algorhythm is more suited
put it this way you’re not making the wrong the decision if you’re picking one over the other. Both are great boards and they fall in the same style of riding. If means are an issue, just go with the best deal.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How much you weigh? You might like the ride feel if you are heavier. Capita boards feel really light and poppy not as meaty as the Ride
I weight 180lbs... I also feel the Ride would be a better board for me but it cost a lot more than the capita mercury as I have a deal on that

·
Registered
183 Posts
Don't sweat the Mercury being catchy. Its not, the rocker in the tips is really high off the snow. Catchy is a word that's used a lot to sell boards with rocker but is not like on camber you're being chased by an evil scorpion that might attack at any moment. Its just a different feel. Turning any snowboard is basically a process of catching your edge in a deliberate and controlled way. With camber its very clear where and when that happens whereas rocker is more gentle and gradual.
I owned a Mercury and its a great all mountain board. If you're not spending much time in the park then its then thats the one, especially if it is cheaper. As someone said above its crazy light and poppy but also stable. You could progress on it but never outgrow it. Its a very popular board for a good reason.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't sweat the Mercury being catchy. Its not, the rocker in the tips is really high off the snow. Catchy is a word that's used a lot to sell boards with rocker but is not like on camber you're being chased by an evil scorpion that might attack at any moment. Its just a different feel. Turning any snowboard is basically a process of catching your edge in a deliberate and controlled way. With camber its very clear where and when that happens whereas rocker is more gentle and gradual.
I owned a Mercury and its a great all mountain board. If you're not spending much time in the park then its then thats the one, especially if it is cheaper. As someone said above its crazy light and poppy but also stable. You could progress on it but never outgrow it. Its a very popular board for a good reason.
thanks a lot... so you know for sure that the Mercury isn’t as “catchy” (though I know it’s deliberate actions of engaging the edge in a controlled way) as it seems to be?? But just cause every review keeps saying it’s overly aggressive even compared to an all-mtn board of the same category where people usually recommend intermediate level, but for Mercury they recommend ‘high intermediate’ levels... hmmm I definitely have a good deal to buy one. Just don’t want to be “catching edge and slamming (not falling)” excessively that will make any snowboarding trip sucks. And lastly not sure if I should buy a YES Basic to go with it as I can get the basic for $190ish (157cm Mercury and 155 YES Basic)

·
Registered
136 Posts
thanks a lot... so you know for sure that the Mercury isn’t as “catchy” (though I know it’s deliberate actions of engaging the edge in a controlled way) as it seems to be?? But just cause every review keeps saying it’s overly aggressive even compared to an all-mtn board of the same category where people usually recommend intermediate level, but for Mercury they recommend ‘high intermediate’ levels... hmmm I definitely have a good deal to buy one. Just don’t want to be “catching edge and slamming (not falling)” excessively that will make any snowboarding trip sucks. And lastly not sure if I should buy a YES Basic to go with it as I can get the basic for $190ish (157cm Mercury and 155 YES Basic)
You will be fine. I'm an average at best intermediate who got the new Capita BSoD. It's not catchy in the slightest and it's supposedly more difficult to ride than the Mercury. I used to own a Lib Tech T. Rice Pro and it felt way more catch, especially when flat basing. I think maybe due to the magnetraction?

·
Registered
194 Posts
The mercury is not catchy or overly stiff. I love my Mercury, it's my daily driver in northern Vermont. I have not ridden the algorythm though. What board are you riding now?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@SoaD009 Hmmm i see you deemed yourself to be an average rider and at best a middle intermediate rider? Hmmm I know the BSOD is stiffer in the tail as its flat profile in the tail...

@GregT943 What do you mean by not catchy or overly stiff? :) Are you an advanced rider? Haha I'm probably a low intermediate at best. I'm board-less now, but rode a 2013 YES Basic and currently have the option to buy:

-YES Basic (left 155cm avail): $194
-Mercury (left 157cm): $468
-Combination of YES Basic + Mercury = $662 (but afraid of the profile 'catchiness' and stiffness)
While the Ride Algorythm:
- Ride Algorhythm (157cm): Total inclusive of shipping and tax: $630

I weigh about 180lbs.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Aggressive isn't the same as catchy. Yes Basic and the Capita Mercury are the same type of board: directional twin with camrocker for all mountain freestyle. The Mercury is high end materials and performance, the Yes is, well, more Basic in its construction and performance. Both do the same thing, one can take it to a higher level than the other for riders who want or need that. Yes have a board called the Typo which is somewhere in between the Basic and the Mercury. None of these boards are difficult to ride as they all have camrocker and flex somewhere around medium.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Aggressive isn't the same as catchy. Yes Basic and the Capita Mercury are the same type of board: directional twin with camrocker for all mountain freestyle. The Mercury is high end materials and performance, the Yes is, well, more Basic in its construction and performance. Both do the same thing, one can take it to a higher level than the other for riders who want or need that. Yes have a board called the Typo which is somewhere in between the Basic and the Mercury. None of these boards are difficult to ride as they all have camrocker and flex somewhere around medium.
Thanks @Kevington , so essentially what you're saying is the Mercury is the same as Basic and Typo... and can be used from now and take it to a higher level which reinforces what you mentioned prior that "its a great all mountain board. If you're not spending much time in the park then its then thats the one, especially if it is cheaper. As someone said above its crazy light and poppy but also stable. You could progress on it but never outgrow it. Its a very popular board for a good reason." ... So even if I've linked my turns well enough, I should be able to progress on this and NOT need the Basic...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts